Ask what you can do for your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually i am ex-member of a youth wing of a party which likes to wear white. But I left after no one wants to hear critical thought.

You missed being talent spotted for bright future. Leave your critical thoughts in kopitiam. And say "yes" in the youth wing meetings.

Agree. It is not difficult being a "yes" man. It is just small price to pay for the success and wealth that it will bring you. Just say "yes" to White Paper etc, what's so difficult? Not too late, you can still be the next "Son of Ponggol". Your country/party will value your service and this is what you can do for your country.

if your country is just a money-making machinery, it is all man for himself.

800 per month how to survive in SG if you dont have you're own paid flat? rental alone very high already. Also you dont need to earn a lot or more not to know 800 in SG cant go that far if you have family

Ya.... I was thinking of rental from HDB..... there's cases... and it it like needing to do 2 jobs....

I don't think any Minister has uttered these words in recent times, not that I know of.

Unless *gasp* Yappy is a Minister. In which case, congratulations, Yappy! :)

Thank you for the compliment.

BTW are you a Singaporean? If no,this place is not for you!

If we do nothing than it will be 1.2 in 2030...

So what can we do to prevent this from happening?

没有鸟巢,那可以生蛋!

If you don't have a nest, how to lay eggs!

Last edited:
I think you can think and still try to do something for your country. The quote isn't about blind loyalty, really.

The fuller quote from JFK (inaugaral speech) is actually: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

My takeaway from the quote is that it is an imploration for people to think beyond themselves and dedicate their lives to a greater good. The concept is loosely linked to the article I posted here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/kopitiam/1223181-pursuit-happiness.html

I've said this many times and I'll say it again. If you really feel that Singapore is your home, and that you have some vested interest in it - do something today. It need not be big. It can be small. Think that the government isn't doing enough to reach to the less well-off? Make the effort, walk the talk, start an effort to help. Change doesn't always come about through some overnight revolution oft imagined that is the result of watching too many dramatic movies (e.g. Les Miserables). It can, and in many cases, starts small, through individual or small group efforts, before it grows and grows positively into something more beautiful and substantial.

Echoing the multitudes of criticism doesn't do much. Arguing on the Internet serves no one except perhaps yourself. You can do that to blow off steam, to express a POV. But do more. Otherwise it's just a load of hot air achieving nothing but a sense of having done something and effectively deceiving one's self.

Happy New Year to you, btw. :)

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

It dont have to be big but just a little of your thought.

We are here today not by luck but a lot of hard work by the ...?

Dont you agree? What has the hammer done?

actually i am ex-member of a youth wing of a party which likes to wear white. But I left after no one wants to hear critical thought.

Yeah.. if only people would do what they have told :)
I've read some great people bios.. it takes a lot of effort to make a change.. so don't be pessimistic.. its just how things are.. and have always been :angel:

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
- Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.
- Plato

Experience have shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
- Thomas Jefferson

You are suppose to do this instead, not speak up.

[video=youtube;2b4vQlNMhmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b4vQlNMhmY[/video]
YouTube Video ID No. 2B4VQLNMHMY

......you didn't like some of the women there carrying Kate Spade handbags? :bsmilie:

Last edited:

....voice our concerns and protect our democratic rights .....and knock some common sense into the heads of those elitist idiots who think they are self-righteous. :kok:

Last edited:
just want to add about this phrase that TS mentioned here

I think this phrase is timeless it encompass almost any issue that a country faces. In some ways if not most this phrase is true "sometimes we need to ask our self what we can do for your country" I heard this once but cant recall from whom and where someone said "A country is only as good as it's citizen not the person leading it" Coz in the 1st place who put that person to be your leader? it's the people or the citizen right? so in the end who's to blame?

Last edited:
Yappy said:

I have always feel that I have done a lot for my previous company, almost indispensable. Under me, company grew from 10 staff to 500 and annual turnover in millions.

When I left, I thought they would be gone in think air. Alamak, they grew even bigger! Hmmm was it my work that they continue to ride on or they found somebody better leh? I am sure what out my earlier contributions, thy couldn't make it this far anyway.

The above is something many employees think so (of course not to dramatic). While we have and it is our duty to perform, don't ever think we owns the company unless you are the boss. We are all just an unit, doing what we should do.

Of course, some employees are better than others. Our ruling party is great and they have performed well for many years. Don't take away credits from the old guards. Next time we need to name any public roads or buildings, do consider them rather than some strange ANG moh names.

That's the style of the old. Asking what you have done but on the other hand keeping everyone else out so they can't do anything. Ridiculous double standards.
It is dangerous to leave all the political power to the electricity team. It's not for the sake of arguing to have a political opposition, it is to make sure that those guys started as the good ones are still the good ones years later. Plurality shapes a society best, but no doubts it is the most difficult way. Hammering a single opinion through the times has never been long-lasting.

a woman who sells her body rents it out but gets it back at the end of the day.

a woman who sells her integrity sells her soul without redemption!

btw i am not in the biz of selling either, hor.

"What does it profit a (wo)man if she gains the whole world but loses her soul?"

just want to add about this phrase that TS mentioned here

I think this phrase is timeless it encompass almost any issue that a country faces. In some ways if not most this phrase is true "sometimes we need to ask our self what we can do for your country" I heard this once but cant recall from whom and where someone said "A country is only as good as it's citizen not the person leading it" Coz in the 1st place who put that person to be your leader? it's the people or the citizen right? so in the end who's to blame?

If the country does not do any good for the people, change the leadership...

Who make us today... we are here today and many wish to become one of us. We are fortunate to have a clean govt and we pride ourselves as one of the better one..

I know that we are not the best but we are among the best despite our limited resources...

well at least they broke the GRC jinx ;p

...... what have they for the people? breaking the GRC jinx..?????????? dont understand you???????

If the country does not do any good for the people, change the leadership...

Who make us today... we are here today and many wish to become one of us. We are fortunate to have a clean govt and we pride ourselves as one of the better one..

I know that we are not the best but we are among the best despite our limited resources...

welll like they say in all financial investment brochures...

Past performance is not guarantee of future results.

I think one will be blind not to see the big problems our countrymen are facing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.