Article on Wedding Photography - "From a Photographer's Heart"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Apr 20, 2003
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
Article written by myself, please do have a read of some heartfelt comments on this topic. :)

From A Photographer's Heart
Written by Jonathan Ho
Thursday, 17 July 2008

I have been a wedding photographer for six years, and if I had to sum up "what does it take to be a wedding photographer" in a short article, this would be it.

We are humans first, photographers second. Humans feel, and by certain standards, it is what defines us separate from animals. And then we shoot what we feel. I think alot of photographers “forget” that they are human, and get consumed by photography. That is the biggest wrong any photographer can do, is to let photography get bigger than, well, humanity.

Please click here for the rest of the article.

There's a very very thin line between the human and photographer. i felt much was emphasised on being human but little was touched on what was the difference in being a ''photographer''.

A photographer is after all a human (unless he is inhumane!:bsmilie:). it might have been more of a differentiating a good photographer versus a better photographer.

I will still see the two subjects as one. human = photographer

Dedication, talent and everything else mentioned thereafter, are attributes of what makes a photographer - one that is likeable, efficient, emotive, sensitive etc. Peceived talent is something more intangible which is one of the positive attributes a better photographer will achieve over the average good photographer.

Yet I don't see the average good photographer being less human nor did they got consumed wholly by photography. Unless one has a only a standard set of subjects to photograph, and totally nothing else, not opening up to surprises or impromptu opportunities. That is perhaps alittle too far fetch unless some wannabe wedding photographers are taking up the job.

I agree talent can't be trained, yet at least it could be guided. Something less than perfect. God might be fair that the average photographer could not get the shots.

Last but not least, you're a talented wedding photographer that i respect
:thumbsup:

There are two things that I feel defines a great photographer. One is dedication. Dedication is a very broad word to include the amount of time and effort needed to train in the craft. Reading articles, asking questions, browsing the net and magazines, seeing/analysing/copying(!) other photographers' work, shooting, re-shooting, making mistakes, learning from mistakes, editing, re-editing. all these, and many other things in the aim to create better images, and getting more experience. Weddings certainly calls for more than photographic skills, you have to learn to deal with all kinds of people, you have to conduct yourself professionally, but not coldly. You have to be firm with pricing, and contract details, yet be lovable, personable and approachable. You are the person that the couple will see the most of, besides each other, on the wedding day. You are so many things at one time.

:thumbsup: Dedication can go along way...like those that were mentioned abt sheer hardwork and effort...every pose can be copied, every perspective can be improved...so does every scene of the groom kissing the bride that happens all the time.

What separates a one good photographer from another...The one who "feels"
Feels the love shared by the couple, feels the joy that the guests have for the couple.
The happiness with a pinch of sadness from the bride's parents and there are so many other feelings that follow a wedding.

Be able to make the photographs come alive. I believe it take more than just dedication but a whole lot more of feelings which come straight from the heart. To be a people person, sincere and at the same time spontaneous.

I very much agree to what joho has written as i've personally experienced between "desperate for nice photos when i just started out" and "photos that comes from the heart after i took a break to find this direction". Some of the couples i've shot for aren't just my clients but became friends after the wedding. Not only because they like the photos i took of them, but also because of me being part of their love story. The photographer who came, felt and preserved the love, the moments and the memories of the couple, their families and friends in a single day

I agree....i remember last time there is a young guy who took very pro looking photos with a lot of life from a compact analogue camera. He was posting in asiaphoto forum last time and many of us were very impressed with him after we found out the cam model he is using to take those shots.

Technical wise we wouldn't say his shots are 100%....and the angles that he uses are not exotic....he don't use the 16mm or the 200mm at all. But the photos was so full of life that we were so ashamed of ourselves because we were already owning the EOS 1s, Nikons F4s and 5s as well as the minolta dynaxs already. If a person can come out with such terrific shots using only the brain and the heart, then all our investment will look pretty pale in comparison.

Digital age had turn photography learning so much easier and efficient. Hence many tend to focus on the technical aspect more than the human factor.

You seldom hear a photog telling you that he lack the feel and the heart to capture this photo but would rather blame the lens, the film the tripod or the body that this shot never turn out better :dunno:

I agree....i remember last time there is a young guy who took very pro looking photos with a lot of life from a compact analogue camera. He was posting in asiaphoto forum last time and many of us were very impressed with him after we found out the cam model he is using to take those shots.

Technical wise we wouldn't say his shots are 100%....and the angles that he uses are not exotic....he don't use the 16mm or the 200mm at all. But the photos was so full of life that we were so ashamed of ourselves because we were already owning the EOS 1s, Nikons F4s and 5s as well as the minolta dynaxs already. If a person can come out with such terrific shots using only the brain and the heart, then all our investment will look pretty pale in comparison.

Digital age had turn photography learning so much easier and efficient. Hence many tend to focus on the technical aspect more than the human factor.

You seldom hear a photog telling you that he lack the feel and the heart to capture this photo but would rather blame the lens, the film the tripod or the body that this shot never turn out better :dunno:

great point :thumbsup:

Jonathan, this is a very good piece of article. I've infact read it twice. For some reason, I totally agree with what you've penned down so well in words. And I'm sure that many successful photographers (in fact successful professionals for that matter) would agree with what you've said. 6 years is a long time and do be able to deliver excellent imagery everytime is something even seasoned professionals find if hard to grapple with sometimes. Once again, a very good and well written article.

Spoken with such conviction and yet achored in humilty. Your philosophy is as beautiful as your images Joho.

where's the asiaphoto guy's picture? got a link?

asiaphoto was shut down before clubsnap came in....I think one of the mods here is a previous member also. Nope, dun have the link already. That guy took great photos in his travelogue.;)

Let me sum it up for you.

Firstly

The shots could look technically flawed, but the content is all it matters.

Secondly

You can try as much as you want (or spend), but if you don't have it (talent), it means you don't have it.

period.

Let me sum it up for you.

Firstly

The shots could look technically flawed, but the content is all it matters.

Secondly

You can try as much as you want (or spend), but if you don't have it (talent), it means you don't have it.

period.
How do one know whether he have talent or not?:dunno:

How do one know whether he have talent or not?:dunno:

I'm not saying anybody whether they have or don't have any talent. I'm merely summing up his thoughts :D

I'm not saying anybody whether they have or don't have any talent. I'm merely summing up his thoughts :D
No worry I am not against you or anything :bsmilie:
I did only a few wedding and I so agree with what Joho had said.
I am not a pro to comment anything but I can feel the difference.
My first few wedding assignment are rubbish to me. I feel that because of my standard shot and is dirt cheap that save me from getting complains from the couple. Until I got a few pointers from, again JOHO. He told me to get the feeling from the wedding before shooting. Not shoot for the sack of shooting. My next assignment do gets a lot of compliment after that. But then maybe I use too much of time to get the feeling, I see that the quantity is not getting any hits (only 200 shots and is almost ending of AD wedding morning session) I starts to panic and start to shoot without feel again and my lousy pictures start to come into my CF card. No choice b'cos most of my customers prefer quantity than quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.