Are Singaporean really “stupid” or “Dumb”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yupz. u wont believe wht he said against his own government. haha. tht time i laugh until i pengz. one things for sure, he's quite interesting to listen to. anyway, he didnt claim. it is true he said a lot of bad things against chinese, taiwanese, hongkies etc. but generally pple just find him interesting to listen to. and sometimes, thought provoking.

for certain, he didnt exactly make lots of friends with his speeches and such

anr thing to note. he've never lost a court case before. he'll definitely flourish in SG.

I think the Taiwanese are really smarter. At least they fight for their rights(literally). It can be seen in their parlimentary debates. :bsmilie:

ahbeng said:
Are Singaporean really “stupid” or “Dumb”? Quotes from li au, Taiwan. It’s not the first time I heard comments that Singaporean are dumb. Why us? Spoken to some Chinese expatriate and they totally agree. They explained that the majority of Singaporeans fought like hell for small little things and they always ended up paying more for less. To think again, we have profitable organization earning millions such as Temesek holding, ntuc, the best changi airport SIA, medal winning imported athletics, SingTel, dbs, ntuc, smrt, mediacorp. So why are Singaporeans still labeled as stupid? Though Singaporeans do not have much savings, they get to live in expensive houses. They even have an award winning movie "I am not stupid" to tell people that Singaporeans are not. Your comments please…

如果那么容易被别人的话而 。。。
1)激怒
2)影响心情
3)开始辩护
4)看不开
那就是笨而傻了 :lovegrin:

Aton said:
I think the Taiwanese are really smarter. At least they fight for their rights(literally). It can be seen in their parlimentary debates. :bsmilie:

i would call tht brave. Hv u seen their female politicians taking a puch to their face? They (the female) didnt stand up sobbing after tht u know, they stand up firing back. i was like "wow... wht type of rice these women eat ah?" tht's 1st tot. 2nd tot is tht "is this WWF? maybe all pretend pretend only"...

anyway, my 2nd tot were reinforced after ah bian got shot.
most of my learned taiwanese friends dunno where to hide their face whenever i bring up this topic to tease them.

icarus said:
The common Singaporeans (peasants) are smart... the problem lies with the decision-makers up there.

if we are smart why do we let the decision-makers make decisions?

I'm Singaporean and I think Singaporeans are stupid. Stupid in the sense they can't think for themselves and only know how to follow the crowd. You see it in their everyday actions. I'll cite just one glaring example we see everyday. Letting people get off the MRT first so that you have space to get in. Many Singaporeans just aren't able to figure this simple law of physics. They see someone 'cheong' for the doors and they also blindly follow like sheep.

This is just one of the stupid things that Singaporeans do. Think about it more and I'm sure you'll find a thousand more. If we don't want people to call us stupid, then we better think about how we live and who we are as people and why we do the things we do.

wht to do? we're baby-sit into such a state

talking abt taiwanese. i really admire their tenacity. I met a master's postgrad. selling jigsaw in night mkt there. he told me he's studying masters in NTU (taiwan lar, not our NTU). i really dun believe, coz how many NTU (ours lar, not taiwan) students do such "low-class" job. why is he selling jigsaw "becoz i want to taste wht an entreprenuer is like. i wanted to try starting my own business".

then i met a taxi driver. he's a manager of a logistic firm. i also dun believe at first. his reason. "my work ends at 7pm. i think watching taiwan tv or clubing etc is total waste of time, i rather pick up passenger and hv an occasional interesting chat with them"

It was on television news a few months ago about a study done over East that "Western Australians are the most unhappiest"... :)but I'm so happy!

eel said:
I'm Singaporean and I think Singaporeans are stupid. Stupid in the sense they can't think for themselves and only know how to follow the crowd. You see it in their everyday actions. I'll cite just one glaring example we see everyday. Letting people get off the MRT first so that you have space to get in. Many Singaporeans just aren't able to figure this simple law of physics. They see someone 'cheong' for the doors and they also blindly follow like sheep.

This is just one of the stupid things that Singaporeans do. Think about it more and I'm sure you'll find a thousand more. If we don't want people to call us stupid, then we better think about how we live and who we are as people and why we do the things we do.
do you think that ALL that do that are singaporeans?? we have foreigner talents here too you know?:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I think we should think about why Li Ao made such comment.
He is a writer in Taiwan which is famous of his dare to talk attitude and sharp analytical skill. If the words "singapores are stupid" come from the mouth of a nobody, I don't think newspaper bother to publish it.
The statements "inferior quality bcoz of lowly educated ancestor" reminds me of some sg politicians thinking that "university grads parents will have better quality baby" which I am strongly disagree.

IMO, singaporeans are very obedient, pls don't talk about the 1% exceptions.
The government policy is to make singaporeans as obedient as possible so no one can challenge their superiority.
Many singaporeans are still worshipping ang moh or japanese. The things that they worship are mainly their food, living style, violence, hair color, clothes, brand name instead of their desire to learn, working attitude and creativity. Until that our outside look like semi-angmoh but our inside doesn't change much.
In overseas, there are many good policies to force enterprise to venture overseas or reserve working opportunities for old people, singapore still haven't implemented it yet.

Singapore is a highly systematic and regulated society, which if used to the extreme, can kill the seeds of creativity.
Many country went china to do business, among them are germans, american, european, taiwanese, malaysian, they all make money but we hardly heard sg company making profit in china.

Actually, this weakness exists in many countries. Some even worse in malaysia and china. If singaporeans want to feel better, maybe can turn back and look at this country.

I hope one day he will come to singapore to explain his intention and rationale behind this comments.

If you think you are stupid, then you are one.

Acts of stupidity? U decide.

1) Donating tons of money out of sympathy for the victim when he/she is already dead. So who gets the tons of money? The un-deserving parents and relatives of the victim. That money could have gone to better use, and we could have shown our sympathy in other more productive ways.

2) Despite years of the govt promising things and not delivering. Despite all the goodies that is being thrown at us before GE, we still vote for them. Despite our unhappiness that the govt holds us hostage by denying us our citizenship rights (such as house upgrading), we still vote for them. We shld let our votes fo the talking. We will not be held hostage over upgrading.

3) We are so obedient...till we have to be told and taught to be creative, to be enterprising...

4) We We let rankings and grades cloud our better judgement. When will we realise that grades only mean so much......

QOTD: Wars are started when we assume other people's moral judgements are not as worthy. -AReality©

eel said:

the cheong the door things for mrt doesnt only happen in sg... u travel n take a look at other countries..

i feel tat singaporean are slowly getting the idea of letting pple out 1st b4 going in... or else both ways stuck.. it's most of the time aunties n uncles who worries too much abt not getting into the mrt for a seat.. therefore they cheong for the door, no matter it's MRT, bus or lift...

It's the quiet one that you should watch out ........:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Lenscapes : I did say "many". You'd think that if we are a developed nation our people should behave in a more mature way. Maybe if Singaporeans led the way by showing proper manners and understanding of the rules then the foreign talents can learn a thing or two.

zhang3feng : Agree that it can happen in any country and there are black sheep everywhere. I have travelled quite widely and I've seen both good and bad. But I do tend to notice that in developed countries and even many less developed countries this kind of behaviour is not so prevalent, But like I said above, you'd expect a 'developed' nation like ours to behave more like a 'developed people' would. We develop economically but not in other ways. Its a one track mindset. And thats not just the aunties and uncles. I've seen students and young adults and people from every strata of society do this very act. To me its very simple. The fact that they 'cheong' up an already crowded bus or train thinking that somehow there will somehow be an empty seat shows a lack of clear thinking.

Take a slightly different example, you see someone alighting the bus from the front, why is it that people still have to rush up and block and jam the entrance when it would be much faster, not to mention less stressful, to let those people down first? Its almost funny to see the look of bemusement and irritation on these people's faces when they rush up and find that they have to squeeze past the people who are trying to get down. The fact is that they're the ones who have caused the jam in the first place. You'd think after taking the bus for the thousandth time and seeing that this method causes so much stress to oneself and others, people would realise this is not the way. But no! They don't think at all and just carry on doing the same old thing day in and day out like robots or sheep.

Another example. You hear how people say Singapore is boring with nothing to do except eat and shop. How can a city be boring? There's so much to do and there's always things happening. It's boring because people blindly follow what others do and go for the same old things like eating or shopping. They don't think, just follow what others are doing only and that's why we've been labelled as 'stupid'.

plainsunset said:
Acts of stupidity? U decide.

1) Donating tons of money out of sympathy for the victim when he/she is already dead. So who gets the tons of money? The un-deserving parents and relatives of the victim. That money could have gone to better use, and we could have shown our sympathy in other more productive ways.

Regarding this issue, i have a questions =) who are those people who gave out so many 'white gold'? I think regarding of Huang Na case, some people was actually looking for a 4D luck and donated in that case. Are most people who donated in those case are actually looking for some 'lucks' in 4D? Just curious, coz i just don't think it is sympathy brings them together?any comment?

The worse is then whenever the families got rich with those 'white gold', some people asking them to donate to charity or not to accept it.

It is actually a funny society behaviours.. ^_^

hehe... this is one of the most thought provocating thread recently :thumbsup: , nice to hear us admitting the fact that Singaporeans are "stupid" ;p

we should submit this thread to ST or WanBao for the readers to reflect upon before kicking up a big fuss.

when u scold a kid dumb, the kid usually got sad and think he is dumb.. (learning)
when u scold a teenager dumb, the teenager usually got angry, and say what the fxxking hell u think u are, u very smart meh? (immature)

When u scold an adult dumb.

Some may be arrogant and think he is not. (mature in wrong way)

Some may be calm and think what is wrong. (mature and getting better)

Some may still fight back, and tell me why i am stupid, prove it to me, i have done this and done that..(mm..still in their teenagers day =D)

Dumb?It is actually all about maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.