Are Singaporean really “stupid” or “Dumb”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
StudioFever said:
I get quite agitatated when i heard li ao's remark. what in the world did he has the right to scold a nation's citizen. Did he say he only knows LKY,LKY son and Sun yanzi, he's probably one brainless fellow who read less, see less and do less. what the hack.. he's one begger before and comes from a very very poor family, WTF he's stupid till he does'nt know where he came from. His ancestor came from china too. Dumb ass think that he's an alien with IQ 100/100 came from Outer space ah??:bsmilie: :sticktong

why not u find out wht "right" he've to be able to scold China, Taiwan, HongKong, USA and probably more that I dunno abt. Incidentally, none of these countries responded.

ahbeng said:
luckily he did not say LKY stupid, otherwise he will get bankrupt like the rest of the victims. there are no place for people to really speak out in singapore. especially under the lee regime. flourish? in jail perhaps.

Dun think he will. Like most taiwanese who are learned, they're all pretty impressed by LKY and what he managed to achieve.

Generally, taiwanese feeling is that:-
Taiwanese are great people who can achieve all things. BUT lead by an idiotic government who just knows how to waste all their money reserves and pay $$$ to other government to try to buy respect w/o realising that others are laughin their way to the bank

To them Singaporeans are sort of "invisible". but very impressed with our government.

OBU said:
I can empathize with your plight. It is a paradox that in Singapore, all government tertiary institutions need employees to complete their academic qualifications through a formal process. In which case, I believe they will recognize your qualification as a first “general” degree only. Conversely, if you are pursuing your education through the professional qualification route, i.e. accountancy qualifications like ACCA or ACMA. They will recognize it as local polytechnic equivalents only. Personally, I feel that it is a “Stupid” or “Dumb” policy. These two accountancy qualifications have world-wide recognition and therefore accepted by the local accounting body for CPA memberships just like NTU’s BAcc graduates. :confused:

SIGH ... precisely! And you know what - NTU and NUS - they don't have a policy of ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING ADULT STUDENTS (in the US - they call it non-traditional students) to go back to uni to either do another degree or TO GIVE THOSE WHO COULDN'T DO THEIR DEGREES EARLIER ANOTHER CHANCE TO GET A DEGREE! It's so sad - what if you make a decision in your 20s to do Business etc - you work for say 10 years - and now you think - wait a minute, I think my true calling is in History or Geography or something - maybe i can apply to NUS / NTU??? Also - NUS and NTU WILL NOT LET ME TRANSFER MY CREDITS WHICH I HAVE EARNED FROM MY UNI IN THE US ... sigh ... maybe they think the system in the state of Georgia is TOTALLY INFERIOR TO THE NUS OR NTU SYSTEM HERE ;( - I am very sad sometimes because I can't continue what i really want to do - which is either Religion or Philosophy of Religion - if I were to apply to NUS - they WILL WANT ME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN FROM YEAR ONE - sigh ... and here we are - the government wanting to make SINGAPORE AN EDUCATIONAL HUB!!!:dunno: WHEN THEY ARE SO ****ING INTRANSIGENT AND TUNNELLED VISION ...:dunno:

mau_lovers said:
I SOOOOO AGREE WITH YOU! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ESP #4 - BUT GUESS WHO MADE US SO GRADES AND PAPER OBSESSED?
I didn't finish my BA due to some financial problems - my college in the US couldn't give me the scholarship I need - so I looked around in Singapore and decided I could continue here - I wanted to do Art History and there is ONLY ONE INSTITUTION IN SINGAPORE (A PRIVATE ONE) that offers the course. After I went for the interview, everyone (the Dean, Dir, Management, Profs, etc) all agreed that I should just go on to do my Masters (I did very well when I was in the US) - and I don't need to finish my degree first - meaning I can sort of 'skip' finishing my BA and do my Masters - but guess what? After I get my Masters - SHOULD I CHOOSE TO WORK IN ANY GOVERNMENTAL INSTITUTION - for eg to teach (with any govt sch) or any of the museums - I WILL NOT GET PAID AS A MASTER'S HOLDER - I WILL NOT EVEN BE PAID A BA HOLDER'S PAY - I may be very good - EXCELLENT - academically and I have great ideas, and I think a lot, etc etc etc - but if I DO NOT HAVE PAPERS THROUGH CHRONOLOGICALLY CORRECT PROCEDURES - I AM JUST NON-DEGREE HOLDER - WHO IS ON THE LOWER RUNG OF THE SINGAPOREAN STATUS LADDER.

Actually - i DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ****ING SINGAPOREAN STATUS LADDER - just give me the 'rightful' amount of pay - just let me have some 'value' :cry:

SG Government care too much abt papers already... this influnece the society too.. pple w/o papers are deemed lower class pple even if u r talented... pple will jus ask, wat sch ah? wat degree?? howmuch u earn???

my reply: papers r just a prove of bulls***.. rich pple can jus pay to get the certs they wan.. n most of these pple r not as talented or skillful as the paper states... :bsmilie:

Hi i am not a Singaporean but a Malaysian who used to work in Singapore two years back and still a holder of a Singaporean Permanent Residence status.

Allow me to comment from my humble thoughts, this so called Taiwanese has no sense what Singapore is and probably has never been to Singapore before !!

I have had the opportunity to work in Singapore and have had close working relationship with the Singaporean Goverment due to the nature of my work.There has never been a single doubt on the capabilities of the Govt and its people of Singapore in their decision making and their ability to strive above the rest. I always stress this to my staff back here in Kuala Lumpur, here in Malaysia we are even more of a unregulated state than Singapore.

For 24 months i was attached to a MNC in Singapore, the work and people i work with, 90& are Singaporeans have shown the upmost and excellent work ethics as well as professionalism which i rarely come across. Work aside, the 24 months i was in Singapore was filled with many memories of fun and nights of boozing and partying :D :cool:

No doubt land is a scarcity in Singapore and property prices and cars are one of the most expensive but what you have is a progressive multi racial society which strives to be the best in the world. The results show by itself, you do not need your govt to dictate for yourself whats needed to be done. By nature it is already being done.

Everything here in KL is toldbut never stressed nor enforced. Nothing much i can say abt my country i am sure all of you are aware or heard of. I have many Singaporean friends and half of my cousins are Singaporeans. We share a lot in common , the food we eat, i always love to poison my cousins when they visit me in my home town in Ipoh, Perak and Penang.

The fact is that, there will always be ignorant people like the Taiwanese joker who probably made a fool of himself.

In the meantime i'm new here in Clubsnap.:sweatsm:

mau_lovers said:
Actually - i DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ****ING SINGAPOREAN STATUS LADDER - just give me the 'rightful' amount of pay - just let me have some 'value' :cry:
"rightful" amount of pay is very RELATIVE to each person expectation, SUBJECTIVE to each nature of work, local market rate, and condition of the economic situation and a nation standard of living, PERSONAL to a person's vision and capability, etc.....
"value" is only a perception by both the buyer and seller of a transaction. :think:

OBU said:
I can empathize with your plight. It is a paradox that in Singapore, all government tertiary institutions need employees to complete their academic qualifications through a formal process. In which case, I believe they will recognize your qualification as a first “general” degree only. Conversely, if you are pursuing your education through the professional qualification route, i.e. accountancy qualifications like ACCA or ACMA. They will recognize it as local polytechnic equivalents only. Personally, I feel that it is a “Stupid” or “Dumb” policy. These two accountancy qualifications have world-wide recognition and therefore accepted by the local accounting body for CPA memberships just like NTU’s BAcc graduates. :confused:

i agree with u , once work in place where , priority given as follows

1) local u
2) overseas u
3) local jc / poly
overseas prof is not in thou, hahahaha, imagine an auditor with degree needs to have acca , but some places are just out of bounds

i work in this place for a while n i got my acca , guess wat , i am not recognise wor, so sad , hence i leave the place , imagine a assitant mgr post can be offered to 1 with no accountancy train, no exp person, but not to 1 with exp n acca . n all the while , equal opp is brought up again n again to all in the company.

btw , this is a big company

okkke..i was jus bored at work so fishing around the net for entertainment and could not stop myself from replyin to this thread!

@ Ahbeng - personally i dont think singaporeans are stupid or dumb... they are just lack of talents, lame, naive, fake/plastic, sad and "we love to kiss angmo feet" robots. u guysare always pissed off man n have no life!

let me start off by reply directly to ur post...

"medal winning imported athletics" - perfect example..they have no talents on their own. starting from the football team to bartenders...its all imported! comong singis get out of the house and get out of the books and learn smthn!! and the fact that u boast abt it actually shows how over proud u r of smthn that isnt even urs!

"they get to live in expensive houses" - haha! thats another joke.. what expensive houses?? abt 80% of those living in over-priced condos are all on mortgage! and now that the economy is bad - theyr all gonna be trashed. the only thing u can afford are cheap low grade hdb. i gotta give credit to the gov. coz without them half the locals would have been homeless!! so stop complaining abt the gov!!

"They even have an award winning movie "I am not stupid" to tell people that Singaporeans are not." - errmm i really have nothing to say to this point. now im begining to think that singis are infact stupid! U NEED A MOVIE TO PROVE THAT UR NOT STUPID!! HAHA - i would love to see this go to oscar...not for what its worth but for how lame this really is!!!

i'm an expat workin here and here are a few things id list which i find really really annoying.

1. 9 out of 10 ppl would show a very irritating V sign when takin pics (LAME)

2. try to show themselves superior by degrading construction workers and PRC ppl - well without the workers u would have all the fancy bldgs so learn to respect them!! and like it or not...most of U ARE FROM PRC even if ur great great grand folks are born here ur still from PRC so LEARN TO RESPECT UR ROOTS!!

3. u feel the gov treats u unfair by gettin foreign talents - and u look down on the gov and these ppl coz u feel threatened! well learn to be creative then the gov wouldnt need to get these ppl in the 1st place!!

4. plan out every little details including what underwear to wear to meet ur friends in 6 months time!!

5. the so called KIASU attitude - God its so bloody annoying! get a life ppl!!!

6. "Oh my God I live soo far..it takes me 30mins to get to work!!" Jeesus try livin in the states!! sg is tiny how far can u actually live!!!

the list goes on... i think im bored of listing em all.

cheers.

p.s. all comments welcome!

oh and i totally forgot!!

u watch football coz the whites think its cool!

an example... a guy goes to a football store to buy a jersey...he asks his girl.. i think i should suppot germany coz theyr jersey looks cool!

this is unreal man! ur an insult to football!!

:bsmilie:

With all honesty, you sound exactly like the "Singaporeans" you're talking about :sweat:

Last edited:
admittedly, I do agree with some of your points. Then again, you'd score a 1/10 for political correctness :thumbsd:

an example... a guy goes to a football store to buy a jersey...he asks his girl.. i think i should suppot germany coz theyr jersey looks cool!

we watch football not becos we think it is 'cool' or whatever nor do we harbour any intention of being a different race or skin color.

we watch football becos it is in our culture as we're brought up in a footballing environment rather than a baseball or basketball environment.

as for the V sign when taking fotos, it is not only a Singapore fad but of HK, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan.. etc. u can say that it is an Asian fad.

i think u've just had ur lunch and most probably u've too much time on ur hand.

ur post do smack of racism and that is not welcome in ClubSnap.

On the contrary, I think Singaporeans are rather distinguishable even if you're blind folded in a foreign land.... when you bumped into someone and get a response like "Alamak, why you like that one...." don't think you need 2nd guesses :D

I also dissagree with that Taiwanese bloke, as a Singaporean myself, I don't think I am neither "stupid" nor "dumb".... basically, I'm just "blur" ... very sotong one....:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.