Are Nissin and Yong Nuo flash easy to use like the inbuilt canon flash?

yes and no.

yes - if your flash features high speed sync, which none of the nissin or yong nuo does.
no - both works the same way, just that the external flash has more power and the ability to direct the flash light. shutter speed will be cap at the flash sync speed(1/200s for 600D).
But i just hoping it will go from 1/20 for internal flash to 1/50 for external flash. Will it in this case?

But i just hoping it will go from 1/20 for internal flash to 1/50 for external flash. Will it in this case?

with flash, shutter speed will have little or no effect on the exposure which means you can go all the way up to 1/200s if you want to. this translate to the ability to select a higher shutter speed and use it together with flash, to eliminate handshake and freeze motion respectively.

aperture is the one you should look out for as this is the major factor which affects your flash + overall exposure, on top of ISO.

flash photography is a whole new ball game. you need to grasp your basics well first before you proceed further.

maisatomai, sorry i digressed by a bit.

short answer to your question, yes it is possible. but do take note of what i've mentioned above.

maisatomai, sorry i digressed by a bit.

short answer to your question, yes it is possible. but do take note of what i've mentioned above.

Thanks a lot. I am going to get a flash tomorrow. Thanks all for your reply.

Do bear in mind that you loose high speed sync with the Nissin, which is important when using it as fill flash in outdoor daylight. If that doesn't concern you then you're fine.

Also, like what tecnica said, the flash duration is very short, so when the flash is the main light source (in the dark), the aperture is actually the limiting factor, and the smaller the aperture you use, the harder the flash must fire, and the shorter distance it can reach. And due to this very short flash duration, it will be able to freeze any motion you have. Flash sync speed is typically from 1/60 - 1/250" depending on your camera. Fill flash, on the other hand, is a different story. With fill flash, the sun (or other strong light source) now becomes the main light source, and your flash become secondary. Now consider you're outdoor with bright sun, so your subject is darker and you need to use your flash to "fill in". In order to expose the background properly, you're limited by a set of exposure, say f/2.8 1/1000". Remember most flash sync speed is limited to 1/60 - 1/250" as mentioned. Now in order to sync with the flash, you now need to drop the shutter speed from 1/1000" to 1/250", a total of 2 stops. So to maintain the exposure, you need to raise the aperture 2 stops to f/5.6, and in doing so sacrificing the shallow DOF that you might want to acheive. This is the main reason why high speed sync is important for outdoor daylight fill flash. Of course, if you don't mind/do portraitures then this won't be a concern.

Or you can use a ND filter if u wish to keep your depth of field without high speed sync.

using a ND filter will means the flash will have to work even harder to attain the same exposure without the ND.

also, the colour cast may not be everyone's cup of tea too.

using a ND filter will means the flash will have to work even harder to attain the same exposure without the ND.

also, the colour cast may not be everyone's cup of tea too.

No choice if u are using Yongnuo or Nissin right? I dunno how bad the colour cast can be. I used a lcheap Tianya ND Fader, didn't feel the colour being affected in any manner.

Tried searching but cannot find the difference between master and slave. If I want to connect the flash to my hotshoe to use it as a replacement for my internal flash, can I use a slave flash?

Master and slave will only come in handy when you do off camera flash.

Doesn't matter when you only have 1 flash and using it on hotshoe.

maisatomai said:
I hope to buy a flash. Can anyone please recommend me a flash to start with? Is nissin di422 or nissin di622 easy to use for beginners?

Another flash to consider is the Canon 320EX. It's more expensive and less powerful but it's very compact and user friendly. It has a video light too. Ideal for beginners who are willing to spend :)

Yes in fact I would recommend TS to get the original Canon flash (e.g. 320EX as suggested) as even though it is more expensive, it will keep things simple and save all the headache for him.

Last edited:
Yes in fact I would recommend TS to get the original Canon flash (e.g. 320EX as suggested) as even though it is more expensive, it will keep things simple and save all the headache for him.
Actually what kind of headache are you talking about ziploc? Someone offered to sell Di622 M1 for $120. Is it very difficult to use compared to 320EX?

Actually what kind of headache are you talking about ziploc? Someone offered to sell Di622 M1 for $120. Is it very difficult to use compared to 320EX?

imo, 3rd party flashes have it's own sets of headaches for users, as they have to consider the following factors (not in any way a complete list)

- will it work for future Camera bodies?
3rd party MAY run into issues that it will not work on newer camera bodies (I've not come across it yet, but heard it mentioned in many 3rd party flash reviews)

- ettl, is it accurate?
Canon's speedlites can detect the sensor size (crop or FF) and "zoom" accordingly. Only until recently I heard that Yongnuo have a model that can detect this sensor size thingy also. Nissin 622 (both mk i and ii) don't.

- high speed sync
refer to ziploc's post earlier. Many 3rd party flash does not have HSS. To some, this is a deal breaker.

But with the original Canon flash, you don't have to think too much, other than the budget factor as Canon ones normally cost more than 3rd party ones. btw, this is the review for the 622 MKi (http://reviews.davidleetong.com/reviews/review-nissin-di622-speedlight-for-canon/)

It's very simple actually. Just look through the entire thread and we can see you're asking around whether it is fully compatible, whether it will work just like a Canon flash, what features are missing, whether it is easy to use etc. Just buy a Canon flash and you're ensured you won't have any of these worries.

If you ask me whether I'll buy a 3rd party flash myself, my answer is yes and no. If it is my first external flash, I would want full iTTL (for Nikon) compatibility plus the full features so I'll go straight and get a Nikon Speedlight. If it is my second or subsequent one (for strobist purposes), I will save myself some money and get the 3rd party ones since I'm going to use them as manual flash anyway.

Last edited:
After reading your replies, I just realised the Nissin 622 M1 cannot be used on my T3i. Now I going to get 320EX after this experience:)

After reading your replies, I just realised the Nissin 622 M1 cannot be used on my T3i. Now I going to get 320EX after this experience:)

Maybe this video review can help you make a better decision :)

[video=youtube;6OeSodne7wA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OeSodne7wA[/video]

Just curious, where did you read about that 622 mk 1 is not supported on 600D ?