Apple vs Samsung

After the verdict at the American court , I have decided to boycott apple although I liked apple product and has been using for many years. The ruling is the straw that broke the camel back, to me samsung not given a fair verdict especially in today context

Apple devices work really well with other apple devices

But not so well with any other device.

How many iPhone users here were not able to use Bluetooth (an OPEN CONCEPT TECHNOLOGY :D :D :D ) to send files to other non Apple Bluetooth devices?

So many of my girl friends who were initially iPhone users have switched over to Android because of this...! Btw for most if not ALL android phones, every object can have associated functions, eg you can view a picture in gallery and use the context menu (aka right click) and select send, share, etc...

the last time i looked at an istupid phone, users had to go to individual app to load and select files. of course, if it has changed...maybe the software designers at apple did copy android on that

It doesn't look like you know that Japan and Korea are different countries. Samsung making more money is not going to make it pay more taxes or employ more people on Japan.
Seriously. Stop spouting bullshit man. Please go read about how the us Senate stopped the xbox being banned by the itc as it would affect commerce.

Didn't Samsung get a net win in Korea? No bias in that ruling? That was my point. Yes, I repeat that the US ruling can be construed as protecting their own. Just don't think Asian courts are any better.

Perhaps you didn't get that but it would be fine. Otherwise, I suggest it would be best if you follow your own advice. And unlike your self-declared anti-Apple stance, I am neither anti/pro either brands/OS here.

Last edited:

How many iPhone users here were not able to use Bluetooth (an OPEN CONCEPT TECHNOLOGY :D :D :D ) to send files to other non Apple Bluetooth devices?

So many of my girl friends who were initially iPhone users have switched over to Android because of this...! Btw for most if not ALL android phones, every object can have associated functions, eg you can view a picture in gallery and use the context menu (aka right click) and select send, share, etc...

the last time i looked at an istupid phone, users had to go to individual app to load and select files. of course, if it has changed...maybe the software designers at apple did copy android on that

I'm one of those users who switched because of the bluetooth issue you mentioned. Sold my iphone after a month and got a HTC. Had never look back since.

Shizuma said:

Open is a double edged sword. There are reasons why Apple restricts file transfer freely. For one, buying songs off iTunes store and distribute it freely via open source bluetooth is a thief's mentality not dissimilar to Sammy boy. Can't share photos freely using iPhone? is Bluetooth the only option?
There are so many ways to do it. But of course, nitpicking is the mentality of a thief who can't climb over a walled garden and help themselves to what they want. I'm sure in that sense, ice cream sandwich taste a lot better.

..... Hmm I could recall at one time, mobile phone users were advised not to switch on Bluetooth on their phone because anybody could send you anything on the go without any security. So much for being open.

Notwithstanding above, where is Bluetooth now beside being good at wireless headset/headphone? If its so good, then why does DLNA exist? And WiDi (wireless display) coming soon .... Well, for high speed file transfer, 802.11ac will probably be ubiquitous anyway.

So where does that leave good ol Bluetooth?
Going the same way as DVD-ROM drive perhaps.

Last edited:
Closed system is also a double edge sword e.g. almost always promise which benefits such as convenience etc. to lock in customers. However, I have yet seen an organization that could succeed in completely doing so nor for a sustainable period of time. Is it your view that Apple will succeed in doing so for a sustainable period of time?

Btw, i noticed that you have bought into OMD camera system and have both Panasonic and Olympus lenses (i.e. due to compliance to the m43 open standards and therefore more choices). Furthermore, you also mixed and matched with non Olympus flash i.e. Metz etc.

"OM-D E-M5 | M.ZD 12-50 | M.ZD 45 | Lumix G 14 | M.ZD 40-150 R
Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor 1.21 GW"

Therefore, i am curious why you feel so differently for mobile phones in terms having choices and open standards?

Open is a double edged sword. There are reasons why Apple restricts file transfer freely. For one, buying songs off iTunes store and distribute it freely via open source bluetooth is a thief's mentality not dissimilar to Sammy boy. Can't share photos freely using iPhone? is Bluetooth the only option?
There are so many ways to do it. But of course, nitpicking is the mentality of a thief who can't climb over a walled garden and help themselves to what they want. I'm sure in that sense, ice cream sandwich taste a lot better.

..... Hmm I could recall at one time, mobile phone users were advised not to switch on Bluetooth on their phone because anybody could send you anything on the go without any security. So much for being open.

Notwithstanding above, where is Bluetooth now beside being good at wireless headset/headphone? If its so good, then why does DLNA exist? And WiDi (wireless display) coming soon .... Well, for high speed file transfer, 802.11ac will probably be ubiquitous anyway.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it is difficult to ignore the legal systems since they could either facilitate or discourage anti competitive actions. Also glad to so hear that you have expressed your views or opinions without any bias for either brands :)

Didn't Samsung get a net win in Korea? No bias in that ruling? That was my point. Yes, I repeat that the US ruling can be construed as protecting their own. Just don't think Asian courts are any better.

Perhaps you didn't get that but it would be fine. Otherwise, I suggest it would be best if you follow your own advice. And unlike your self-declared anti-Apple stance, I am neither anti/pro either brands/OS here.

This thread reminded me about some thoughts I had back when the iphone 4 first launched. All the big hoohah they had with Facetime. The way they marketed it, its as though they invented video call.

I am iphone 4 user now and I admit that it is a good phone, quite hardy for my level of use but it is not without flaws. Dropped signals ( which they never got around to admitting it), wacky home button sometimes and seriously, without itunes services for almost its entire shelf life?

I have a couple of android devices now and objectively, I find the Galaxy S3 to be a superior phone in most aspects.

keiser said:
Closed system is also a double edge sword e.g. almost always promise which benefits such as convenience etc. to lock in customers. However, I have yet seen an organization that could succeed in completely doing so nor for a sustainable period of time. Is it your view that Apple will succeed in doing so for a sustainable period of time?

Btw, i noticed that you have bought into OMD camera system and have both Panasonic and Olympus lenses (i.e. due to compliance to the m43 open standards and therefore more choices). Furthermore, you also mixed and matched with non Olympus flash i.e. Metz etc.

"OM-D E-M5 | M.ZD 12-50 | M.ZD 45 | Lumix G 14 | M.ZD 40-150 R
Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor 1.21 GW"

Therefore, i am curious why you feel so differently for mobile phones in terms having choices and open standards?

Close ecosystem has its limitation and benefits. Similarly open ecosystem has its merits and risk. I am not advocating either one. But I am not putting down one over the other either like some did here. I openly adopt open ecosystem (I'm still very comfortable with ms windows and look forward to win8. Never really got used to lion, much less mountain lion... Even tho I started off with snow leopard) at the same time use closed systems like apple's. Having said that, I believe that anyone who adopts a closed system who will succeed can only be apple, because of the strong global following. They neither monopolize the market nor dump their product to gain market share. They did it all thru innovation and product quality. Google succeeds thru an open ecosystem when the market badly need something/someone to come up against apple. All other OS in 2007 in comparison to iOS was at least 2-3 years behind. So, it's the demand which pushed el goog to compete albeit with a little inside information via Eric Schmidt. Even so, they didn't get it right completely until the 4th iteration. iOS got things right at the 5th iteration.

Anyway, what I am speaking up here are against misconception of big is bad... In this case, just because apple won the first round of the court battle against Sammy, they are perceived as big bullies. When the truth couldn't be further than that.

Anyway, competition is good. Ignorance is bliss. But ignorance with a big mouth is something else.

Prismatic said:
This thread reminded me about some thoughts I had back when the iphone 4 first launched. All the big hoohah they had with Facetime. The way they marketed it, its as though they invented video call.

I am iphone 4 user now and I admit that it is a good phone, quite hardy for my level of use but it is not without flaws. Dropped signals ( which they never got around to admitting it), wacky home button sometimes and seriously, without itunes services for almost its entire shelf life?

I have a couple of android devices now and objectively, I find the Galaxy S3 to be a superior phone in most aspects.

You are comparing a 2010 product with a 2012 product? ... And concluded that 2012 product is superior?

milez said:
You are comparing a 2010 product with a 2012 product? ... And concluded that 2012 product is superior?

Well, does Apple have a phone from 2012 for me to compare with yet? The iphone 4s? That is essentially the same phone they launched in 2010? Maybe its time Apple learned to play catchup.

Prismatic said:
Well, does Apple have a phone from 2012 for me to compare with yet? The iphone 4s? That is essentially the same phone they launched in 2010? Maybe its time Apple learned to play catchup.

Just like 5D mkiii is better than D700. Or D800 better than 5DMkII. Well said.

You cannot share apple's .aac files due to DRM. This is not due to bluetooth. And yes, you CANNOT share photos freely from phone to phone on and iPhone without using a data plan. Thank god for 1995-era bluetooth.

That applied to Nokia phones who did not implement the standard handshake notification.

Bluetooth is in use in keyboards (for apple too), audio, file sharing, tethering (on iphone too), game controllers, mice, home audio.

DLNA exists to utilize the higher bandwidth of wifi for HD media. Common sense really.

Rashkae said:
You cannot share apple's .aac files due to DRM. This is not due to bluetooth. And yes, you CANNOT share photos freely from phone to phone on and iPhone without using a data plan. Thank god for 1995-era bluetooth.

That applied to Nokia phones who did not implement the standard handshake notification.

Bluetooth is in use in keyboards (for apple too), audio, file sharing, tethering (on iphone too), game controllers, mice, home audio.

DLNA exists to utilize the higher bandwidth of wifi for HD media. Common sense really.

DRM? It's long gone for music. Only movies, tv show and books are still restricted. But, .... If you wish to share files,... Go to bit torrent. It's the mentality of those who wish to eat without paying.

Yes Bluetooth is good for replacing cables, eg mouse, keyboard, headsets, speakers, ... File transfer/sharing or higher bandwidth dependent stuff is still better off using other protocol like 802.11x.

Last edited:

I don't carry dslr to lunch and want to Bluetooth the pic of the wonderful wanton noodles stall signage so that my girl friends and buddies can find it.

i don't know how istupid devices do it, maybe must use itunes also? or send email and whatsapp, when a simple local file transfer would have been enough?

Shizuma said:
I don't carry dslr to lunch and want to Bluetooth the pic of the wonderful wanton noodles stall signage so that my girl friends and buddies can find it.

i don't know how istupid devices do it, maybe must use itunes also? or send email and whatsapp, when a simple local file transfer would have been enough?

Heard of eye-fi?
It's istupid devices compatible.