Apple vs Samsung

milez said:
Thats the main issue apple have with android. They stole... No, copied their technology and give it away for free (dumping...) while making money from ads. Apple and other software vendors are making money from sale of devices.

Erm. You sure? Apple blatantly copies features from phones that have already been out for ages. Apple has iAds so it can make money from ads. Once again, apple is copying Google.

Whatever you are smoking that blinds you to reality, please share. :)

milez said:
iCloud, google drive, ms skydrive are no OS. Are they? They are not even Eco system.

What is your view about android and iOS then ?

iOS is apple taking the touchscreen ideas that have been in Palm, Symbian, etc, then packaging it into a phone that resembles the Samsung F700 (announced 1 year before iPhone) and LG Prada. Android was designed to compete vs. Symbian and Blackberry. Apple continues it's proud copying of features with such things as iCloud, the new notifications, etc. The icon interface in iOS looks like the UI on the sonyericsson P900

Why do you need a 3 room HDB even? You just need a little shack below Sheares Bridge. :bsmilie:

See my edit of my original message. Need to rephrase it.

The point is that most of us do not need the best or the latest or the most expensive or most advanced or one with the most features.

It does not mean we become destitute with nothing.

The idea is that at some level, a material possession is good enough for our basic needs. There is no need to keep chasing.
Financial prudence also means we do not keep spending, sometimes beyond our means to keep up the buying mania.

A flat is definitely enough for most. There is no need to stretch budget to buy a landed freehold property in prime district. If one could easily afford it, good for you. But if you cannot afford it, a basic residential flat is more than good enough.

The same principle applies to material possesions like cars, TVs, phones, watches, etc...

handset-share-fig1.png

Nokia commands 35% share of basic phone market thanks to 'Asha'

Last edited:
Watever outcome, they are still earning money. and this will only brnifits lawyers.

Can't believe what I see. Anyway, doesn't bother me whoever wins. I'm just as broke as ever.

To some coffee is bitter. To others sweet. I guess it depends on how much sugar is coated in the coffee that forms individual perception. And it really doesn't matter to me if coffee is bitter or sweet to others. Cause it's more important to me that I drink it the way I like it.

Rashkae said:
iOS is apple taking the touchscreen ideas that have been in Palm, Symbian, etc, then packaging it into a phone that resembles the Samsung F700 (announced 1 year before iPhone) and LG Prada. Android was designed to compete vs. Symbian and Blackberry. Apple continues it's proud copying of features with such things as iCloud, the new notifications, etc. The icon interface in iOS looks like the UI on the sonyericsson P900

Of course Apple takes ideas from other companies & incorporates them into their products. It's the natural evolution of design, which Samsung alluded to in huge trial. The key difference being that Apple takes these ideas & implements them better than the original inventors, resulting in a superior user experience.

If u truly believe that he iPhone blatantly copied off the Samsung F700, LG Prada & Sony P900, asks yourself why people didn't buy these phones by the truckload like they did the iPhone? & pls don't bring up the power of Apple's marketing because if that was true why are Samsung phones outselling Apple's?

IMHO there are two main types of android phone buyers: people who want smartphones but are unable/unwilling to pay for iPhones, & geeks who like to customize their devices to kingdom come & thus don't want to play in Apple's walled garden.

there are politics involved in all these rulings.

remember, it's an election year for the Americans, and the government needs to please the American people. they aren't happy that their jobs are being outsourced so much

2012 Olympics -- China-made Team USA uniforms ignite anger - ESPN

Obama Hammers Romney on Outsourcing vs. ‘Offshoring’ Explainer - ABC News

then you'll understand the politicians' urgent need to ensure that US products and US companies are taken care of this year.

no doubt, Samsung did copy the design of its competitors' products. but you have to admit, it's ridiculous and frivolous on Apple's part to patent design of little things that are commonplace. and it's ridiculous that Apple, who inspires others to innovate, is cracking down on those who innovate.

now, if you think again... if Apple is truly going after Samsung for its design, why not hammer the rest of those similar phones LG, HTC etc? simple reason, Samsung has the biggest market share and has been eating up Apple's share of the pie.

now, you might find it contradicting that the US Government is protecting one of its biggest firms that actually hides it wealth and profits offshore, which means that money flows out of the country rather than within the country:
How Apple's Phantom Taxes Hide Billions In Profits - Business Insider

this is commonplace within US companies, but the whole idea isn't to hide the misdeeds of Apple and other US firms. the idea is to show the Americans that the US government is doing its best to protect US interests.

Of course Apple takes ideas from other companies & incorporates them into their products. It's the natural evolution of design, which Samsung alluded to in huge trial. The key difference being that Apple takes these ideas & implements them better than the original inventors, resulting in a superior user experience.

are you sure :bsmilie:

entirely a marketing gimmick. while all you need for DLNA with an Android device is your own home router, and a DLNA device.

Apple, on the other hand, tells you that you need to buy its AirPort to be able to do the same. good user experience? :dunno:

If u truly believe that he iPhone blatantly copied off the Samsung F700, LG Prada & Sony P900, asks yourself why people didn't buy these phones by the truckload like they did the iPhone? & pls don't bring up the power of Apple's marketing because if that was true why are Samsung phones outselling Apple's?

it's marketing. plain and simple. and the hype behind the "i" Craze. don't look at the here and now. look at the popularity of the iCraze when it came out years ago.

and why is Samsung selling better now? because they're flooding the market with so many models. if you base it on individual phone model sales, Apple still tops Samsung if it's iPhone4 vs the SII.

IMHO there are two main types of android phone buyers: people who want smartphones but are unable/unwilling to pay for iPhones, & geeks who like to customize their devices to kingdom come & thus don't want to play in Apple's walled garden.

i think you need to look at how much Samsung, HTC and the rest of the Android consortium are pricing their new and flagship phones before you make that call. Also, Apple phones are much cheaper or even $0 with any mobile price plan.

and honestly, i take offence at the remark "geeks who like to customize their devices to kingdom come & thus don't want to play in Apple's walled garden". i'm not a geek and i don't like the way Apple hampers usability with all their "rules an regulations". hence, i got an Android phone.

if i can afford a HTC X, Galaxy S, Xperia mobile phone... i can surely afford an Apple iPhone. but the reasons you stated are just ridiculous why people would rather choose Android over iOS.

kei1309 said:
are you sure :bsmilie:

entirely a marketing gimmick. while all you need for DLNA with an Android device is your own home router, and a DLNA device.

Apple, on the other hand, tells you that you need to buy its AirPort to be able to do the same. good user experience? :dunno:

it's marketing. plain and simple. and the hype behind the "i" Craze. don't look at the here and now. look at the popularity of the iCraze when it came out years ago.

and why is Samsung selling better now? because they're flooding the market with so many models. if you base it on individual phone model sales, Apple still tops Samsung if it's iPhone4 vs the SII.

i think you need to look at how much Samsung, HTC and the rest of the Android consortium are pricing their new and flagship phones before you make that call. Also, Apple phones are much cheaper or even $0 with any mobile price plan.

and honestly, i take offence at the remark "geeks who like to customize their devices to kingdom come & thus don't want to play in Apple's walled garden". i'm not a geek and i don't like the way Apple hampers usability with all their "rules an regulations". hence, i got an Android phone.

if i can afford a HTC X, Galaxy S, Xperia mobile phone... i can surely afford an Apple iPhone. but the reasons you stated are just ridiculous why people would rather choose Android over iOS.

I'm no a geek either. I can't even set up a wireless router without tearing my hair out! That's why I buy into the iCraze as you put it.

Sure DLNA allows compatibility of android devices with a whole ecosystem of consortium products.. But do they work as well & in a pain-free manner as Apple's locked down ecosystem? My experience with non-Apple hardware is that nothing works as advertised without a buttload of mucking around with configuration settings. Getting my Apple hardware to talk to one another is often as simple as logging in with my Apple ID. For sure any power user will get much more functionality out of their android/DLNA/PC setup, but most of my needs are already taken care of by sticking to my iOS/Mac hardware with minimal effort. Personally, I would happily pay more for such convenience.

Erm. You sure? Apple blatantly copies features from phones that have already been out for ages. Apple has iAds so it can make money from ads. Once again, apple is copying Google.

Whatever you are smoking that blinds you to reality, please share. :)

I didnt know google invented and patented advertising.... .

Re IE, because MS has 90% market PC share. Apple Mac has barely 10%.

Apple being restrictive, but they are not anti competitive. When you charge a premium for your product and the public buy it willingly, it's market forces. When you offer your things for free to get market dominance and crush your competition in order to monopolize, that's anti trust.

Many people are just looking at apple being the aggressor without looking at who is the real aggressor here. If you value your work, it will be worth something. When you are giving something that's worth 30-40% market share away for free. Your motive is questionable.

You have you have to top up for the Safari browser after you purchased the Mac OS? This statement is so silly.

When the law court is not in USA, the outcome is different. The bias and injustice of a US court and jury favouring a US company is too blatant.

Tokyo court: Samsung didn't infringe Apple patent – USATODAY.com

Excuse me? When the court is in an Asian country, then Samsung wins. There is no bias and injustice in an Asian court favouring an Asian company? Enough of your US bashing.

Samsung is from Korea.
Apple is from US.

The court is in Japan.

Apple also loses when the court is in UK.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/04/apple-loses-uk-patent-suit-over-slide-to-unlock-technology/

Read the comments under the article here. I think these are Americans scolding Apple and getting turned off by its incessant suing of other companies, now going after Galaxy 3S.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/261800/apple_targets_galaxy_s_iii_note_in_latest_legal_action.html

Last edited:
Thank goodness for letting me know Samsung is from Korea, Tokyo is in Japan etc etc. My bad, how could I overlook that? :bigeyes:

A UK decision doesn't prove an Asian court is any less biased than an American one. Yes, the US decision has colours of patriotism. The Asian one doesn't? Or are you going to drag out the island dispute between Japan and Korea, or other conspiracy theories now?

Thank goodness for letting me know Samsung is from Korea, Tokyo is in Japan etc etc. My bad, how could I overlook that? :bigeyes:

A UK decision doesn't prove an Asian court is any less biased than an American one. Yes, the US decision has colours of patriotism. The Asian one doesn't? Or are you going to drag out the island dispute between Japan and Korea, or other conspiracy theories now?

read my post:

there are politics involved in all these rulings.

remember, it's an election year for the Americans, and the government needs to please the American people. they aren't happy that their jobs are being outsourced so much

2012 Olympics -- China-made Team USA uniforms ignite anger - ESPN

Obama Hammers Romney on Outsourcing vs. ‘Offshoring’ Explainer - ABC News

then you'll understand the politicians' urgent need to ensure that US products and US companies are taken care of this year.

no doubt, Samsung did copy the design of its competitors' products. but you have to admit, it's ridiculous and frivolous on Apple's part to patent design of little things that are commonplace. and it's ridiculous that Apple, who inspires others to innovate, is cracking down on those who innovate.

now, if you think again... if Apple is truly going after Samsung for its design, why not hammer the rest of those similar phones LG, HTC etc? simple reason, Samsung has the biggest market share and has been eating up Apple's share of the pie.

now, you might find it contradicting that the US Government is protecting one of its biggest firms that actually hides it wealth and profits offshore, which means that money flows out of the country rather than within the country:
How Apple's Phantom Taxes Hide Billions In Profits - Business Insider

this is commonplace within US companies, but the whole idea isn't to hide the misdeeds of Apple and other US firms. the idea is to show the Americans that the US government is doing its best to protect US interests.

I'm no a geek either. I can't even set up a wireless router without tearing my hair out! That's why I buy into the iCraze as you put it.

Sure DLNA allows compatibility of android devices with a whole ecosystem of consortium products.. But do they work as well & in a pain-free manner as Apple's locked down ecosystem? My experience with non-Apple hardware is that nothing works as advertised without a buttload of mucking around with configuration settings. Getting my Apple hardware to talk to one another is often as simple as logging in with my Apple ID. For sure any power user will get much more functionality out of their android/DLNA/PC setup, but most of my needs are already taken care of by sticking to my iOS/Mac hardware with minimal effort. Personally, I would happily pay more for such convenience.

dude. AirPort and AirPlay are DLNA. they use the SAME configuration. Apple just markets to you into that settings are different and that it's a whole new and better concept.

and if i'm no geek, and a pretty average person at that... who can still set up a home network and understand how things should work in their basic form and structure... i don't know what that says about you.

not to attack you, but i'd rather know and understand how things work rather than be lazy and let people do the work for me.

acpical said:

It doesn't look like you know that Japan and Korea are different countries. Samsung making more money is not going to make it pay more taxes or employ more people on Japan.
Seriously. Stop spouting bullshit man. Please go read about how the us Senate stopped the xbox being banned by the itc as it would affect commerce.

kei1309 said:
dude. AirPort and AirPlay are DLNA. they use the SAME configuration. Apple just markets to you into that settings are different and that it's a whole new and better concept.

and if i'm no geek, and a pretty average person at that... who can still set up a home network and understand how things should work in their basic form and structure... i don't know what that says about you.

not to attack you, but i'd rather know and understand how things work rather than be lazy and let people do the work for me.

The fact that you even know that DLNA n AirPlay are essentially the same tech demonstrate the fact that you are no average consumer, who can care less abt tech standards.

How many ones have you been asked by friends n family to help set up their wireless networks/PCs? I have been asked many times that's why I know it's not easy, even for popular brands like Cisco routers. I can't tell u how many non-techies I have convinced to get Apple computers, & all have not wanted to buy a PC ever again.

The marketing guys can talk all the want, but in the end it's all abt the implementation.