--- Apple iPad

Would you buy iPad?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hp withdrew the win7 concept and is now putting some web os on it's slate. Seems like tacit agreement on their part apple made the right choice not to put full os on their iPad.

I think desktop OS should remain in notebook and desktop only.

Desktop OS is a netbook is too lagging for me.

I think desktop OS should remain in notebook and desktop only.

Desktop OS is a netbook is too lagging for me.

Well, most Netbooks are configured like a computer from 8 years ago. I've heard good things about Ubuntu Netbook Remix version so I wonder how good the experience is but I decided against a netbook.

Apple is supposedly looking at putting the iPad/iPhone touch interface on their desktop OS in the future. So many people are already critical of iPad, I wonder how they would give up an interface on a desktop computer where they have physical keys.

Hi iPad gurus.... :p

Do you find the 3G useful? I can't decide if I should get one with 3G or not.... My friend's Starhub iPhone seems so slow outside to surf the Net.

And is 64GB recommended for lots of images and videos? I'm not sure how soon a 16GB or 32GB will fill up...

Thanks!

Hi iPad gurus.... :p

Do you find the 3G useful? I can't decide if I should get one with 3G or not.... My friend's Starhub iPhone seems so slow outside to surf the Net.

If you absolutely need to go online where there is no WIFI then the 3G will be very useful.
I am on Singtel and so far I have not experienced slowness.

And is 64GB recommended for lots of images and videos? I'm not sure how soon a 16GB or 32GB will fill up...

Thanks!

I have 64GB and now my Ipad, with photos and movies, is left 50% capacity.

I wouldn't get a model with 3G.. from experience using the 3G on iPhone, its soooo slow.... for web surfing.. althou Google maps seems to work fine.

As for capacity, I believe 16GB is more than enough for stuff that is to be kept on the device.. like pictures, short video clips..

I feel that the capacity is under utilized usually.. So I hand itchy go and convert a BBC documentary that was originally 800Mb into MOV format, and it went up to 5GB! Send it to iPad via WiFi took 1.5hrs.... But it played well in HD quality on the iPad.. very shiok..

If need space.. can just delete.. it's not something that has to stay on the pad.. Now figuring what to do with the excess 50% capacity.......

Unless there's many Apps like the elements that took 1.5GB.. too much capacity is usually just a waste of space.. and money..

If you absolutely need to go online where there is no WIFI then the 3G will be very useful.
I am on Singtel and so far I have not experienced slowness.

I have 64GB and now my Ipad, with photos and movies, is left 50% capacity.

Ok thanks, noted! Btw, is there an easy way to convert say a movie DVD to be watched on iPad?

I wouldn't get a model with 3G.. from experience using the 3G on iPhone, its soooo slow.... for web surfing.. althou Google maps seems to work fine.

As for capacity, I believe 16GB is more than enough for stuff that is to be kept on the device.. like pictures, short video clips..

I feel that the capacity is under utilized usually.. So I hand itchy go and convert a BBC documentary that was originally 800Mb into MOV format, and it went up to 5GB! Send it to iPad via WiFi took 1.5hrs.... But it played well in HD quality on the iPad.. very shiok..

If need space.. can just delete.. it's not something that has to stay on the pad.. Now figuring what to do with the excess 50% capacity.......

Unless there's many Apps like the elements that took 1.5GB.. too much capacity is usually just a waste of space.. and money..

Is yours Starhub for iPhone?

So without 3G, should I need to download any Apps, I can also do it at home via WiFi right?

I'm still pondering over the capacity. Yeah, perhaps can remove movies we don't need and updated newer ones. I think the movies are the ones that fill up the space most quickly? JPG pics and music are not so bad....

Is yours Starhub for iPhone?

So without 3G, should I need to download any Apps, I can also do it at home via WiFi right?

I'm still pondering over the capacity. Yeah, perhaps can remove movies we don't need and updated newer ones. I think the movies are the ones that fill up the space most quickly? JPG pics and music are not so bad....

Singtel.

Yes, iPhone 3GS, iP4 & iPad got WiFi.

Yup.. it's the videos that gonna fill the device.. esp HD ones.. in mov format easily hit 5GB or more for 1hr show. Pity that it doesn't support rmvb.. which is much more efficient in terms of file size. Most branded devices don't, anyway.

Videos of DVD quality not so bad.. maybe 1~2GB/hr. For pictures, it'll be a challenge to fill a 16GB device for most pple.. Usually, pple just put selected pictures in the iPad for display/sharing.. It's not sensible to use iPad as a picture dumping ground when portable HDD makes a more economical choice..

Also, do note that iPad aren't very efficient at handling large jpegs of 5MP or more.. it'll be a pain to go thru the high res pictures with ~2sec lag between each..

To use iPad as showcase device, picture size don't need to be > 1024 × 768. Such files are < 1Mb.. maybe ard 500kB.

So 1GB can hold ~2000 pictures.. who'll wanna fill a 16GB iPad with pictures..

For MP3, usually it's ard 3~5MB.. so 1GB can hold ~200 songs.

In summary, to use iPad as entertainment devices with selection of favorite pictures and songs, videos, 16GB is usually sufficient. To use iPad as media file dumping ground.. or lazy to do housekeeping.. get the 64GB if budget is no concern.. more is always better rite.. ;)

Wow thanks for the great advice! I think I have a lot better idea of what to get.

Yes, more is better, but only if $$ is of no concern. Think I will not consider the 64GB anymore. It's either 16GB or 32GB. :)

Now to consider if I need the 3G. Any idea how much it costs to pay per month? I googled, is it unlimited 7 days for S$24.50? After that got to be charged? If so, think I'll pass....

Oh I didn't know the reception for Singtel iPhone is bad. Heard a few friends using Singtel they are ok with the 3G connection. But Starhub can be bad. So slow and sometimes connection is not successful at all.

No.

It is an expensive cheap looking piece of glass with thick edges and fingerprints on it.

The only reason to queue up for it is it is Apple.

Put a different manufacturer logo on it, the price will come down to half and I will consider. :bsmilie:

It's expensive "expensive looking" glass..

Put another manufacturer's logo on it, and maybe get cheap "cheap looking", "cheap feeling", "cheap working", "cheap quality" piece of glass..

Yes, Other manufacturers surely can produce similar quality product..

But then the price will be similar too..

Last edited:
It's expensive "expensive looking" glass..

Put another manufacturer's logo on it, and maybe get cheap "cheap looking", "cheap feeling", "cheap working", "cheap quality" piece of glass..

Yes, Other manufacturers surely can produce similar quality product..

But then the price will be similar too..

Agreed! I suspect if other manufacturers also put in IPS panel with capactive multitouch and operating system as responsive as iOS and with such a long battery life, the price will be similar.

Agreed! I suspect if other manufacturers also put in IPS panel with capactive multitouch and operating system as responsive as iOS and with such a long battery life, the price will be similar.

Agreed.... I was waiting for samsung galaxy tab until the euro pricing was released(600-700 euros).... almost fainted and bought an ipad instead... now waiting for IOS 4.2 and my only complain is no retina display for ipad... :bsmilie:

No.

It is an expensive cheap looking piece of glass with thick edges and fingerprints on it.

The only reason to queue up for it is it is Apple.

Put a different manufacturer logo on it, the price will come down to half and I will consider. :bsmilie:

Sure, find another company that does its own research and development, rather than just re-labeling a tablet, and you'll find a big price, also.

The companies behind these cheap tablets out now will probably be gone in a year and the cheap tablet will be unsupported and you'll go buy another cheap tablet, until the cost is more than the iPad. (Not that Apple is supporting 2 year old products extremely well. They'd like to sell more products.)

While some guys are busy dissing ipad, i set up mine to access full windows photoshop and microsoft office. But who cares about Exel when my ipad can access Matlab.

No need for flash and java, but i could have them now if i wanted to.

And just for fun I set up ipad to remotely control a cnc machine. Moved the axis around a little. I can even load and run nc programs from my ipad.

Waiting for ios4 that supports vpn client, so my ipad can control a Fujitsu Blade. Then this ipad will have the backing of 128 processors in parallel.

- sent from ipad.

Ok thanks, noted! Btw, is there an easy way to convert say a movie DVD to be watched on iPad?

Many ways, and the movies sometimes don't even have to be loaded into your ipad. If you really want to load the movie onto your ipad, i guess there's no way around ripping the dvd. After you have it in avi format on your computer, use the free hamster converter to convert to ipad format. Then you can sync to drag and drop.

No my ipad is not jb'ed, if that's what you're asking. Everything's legal.

Yes you can restore your ipad to factory defaults. There's this button to do that everytime you sync with itunes. If you've jb'ed your ipad and regret it later due to warranty issues this is the button to go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.