Apple iPad as a photo previewer!

It will be used to show portfolio to clients during meetups.

iPhone screen is too small and lugging ard the MB now is the only solution. iPad is much lighter and slimmer to lug ard.

I read from somewhere that connecting a camera to the iPad does not work on all cameras or that the transfer fails for files that are too big. Is the feedback here based on transferring individual files or the memory whole card containing a large number of files?

There are 2 ways this happens:

1. Plug in a camera with a full memory card. Reading is very fast. Transfering is based on USB 2.0. Cannot compare to Colourspace UDMA, obviously, but fast enough.

2. Plug into iPad, shoot. File remains on camera, preview is on iPad, instantaneous. When you are done, you can selectively import, or import all, at USB 2.0 speed.

i have transferred files that are 15-20MB each, no problem.

I think this is new, and we could probably find some use for this. :)

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

i think this is only applicable for studios.

which means that you don't need portability..

i cannot imagine someone waving an ipad around with a d3 tethered to it outside, anywhere. unless you are a big shot with a whole production team, then glory to you.

Yes! U are Right!
I'm BIG SHOT!
And always shoot with TOPNOTCH Clients with a whole production team!
See, how u miss it again!

Wow... this is a very interesting iPad discovery!

Thanks bro merkava74 for sharing this gadget news :thumbsup:

i think i got to discard my iMac G5 for the new iMac intel so that i can link up with iPad liao :sweat:

Yes! U are Right!
I'm BIG SHOT!
And always shoot with TOPNOTCH Clients with a whole production team!
See, how u miss it again!

:thumbsup:

i kowtow to you. :heart:

please buy 20 ipads. your underlings will run around surrounding you with ipads to show your cilents then. :bsmilie:

:thumbsup:

i kowtow to you. :heart:

please buy 20 ipads. your underlings will run around surrounding you with ipads to show your cilents then. :bsmilie:

lame...

Haha this thread is turning personal. I guess there are pros and cons, some people may like it more than someone else. Please refrain from blowing up :p

actually i'm planning to get an ipad for just this reason. IPS panel lcd should be bright and sharp enough to give a nice presentation, even if not completely colour accurate. and 'automatic' backup of on site shooting is always a good thing :)

right now trying to figure out if an eye-fi => myfi => ipad / cloud backup is possible. meaning the camera uses the myfi network to wirelessly upload to the ipad AND to an external site for backup. even better - shoot raw+jpeg and backup the raws to cloud, but send jpegs to ipad for immediate viewing.

nice in theory, but i suspect will be a pain to achieve. will report back once i actually get all the items and start playing (not so soon unfortunately)

right now trying to figure out if an eye-fi => myfi => ipad / cloud backup is possible. meaning the camera uses the myfi network to wirelessly upload to the ipad AND to an external site for backup. even better - shoot raw+jpeg and backup the raws to cloud, but send jpegs to ipad for immediate viewing.

I'm sure your cam can log on to myfi, but not sure if iPad can read off that network. It seems like it can only detect physical cable to it's cam connector. Maybe an app like Goodreader could do it. If that is possible, the rest of your process should not be a problem! I should try that too, but i don't have myfi since I am already using the 3G network.

Let me know if it works, that will truly be awesome!

@ labla: never mind la, this is a free site and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I don't own clubsnap. ;)

ah, there are apps for the iphone/ipad that connect to the network. eye fi's own app is 'supposed' to allow ad hoc connection (eye fi => ipad w/o network) but reports are that those are quite glitchy.

was a post the other day about an ipad app called shuttersnitch - looks promising with this combo ;) or there's always the option to jailbreak and turn the ipad into a wifi point itself ...

Yup! Saw your post in the forum there! ;)

wohoo!

how much u got it for n how many gig?

woohooo.

max 64gb, that is quite small...

i suppose some might find it useful. :dunno:

Ipad lacks of USB port and Express Card, that's the problems

If hdd size it's solve by using wireless HDD like Apple Time Machine

*gentle reminder*

i like to see CSers sharing their latest findings on gears in a reasonable manner. after all, this is the main purpose of CS anyway.

what i don't like to see is snide/know-it-all comments about other people's efforts. if you have nothing good to contribute, or you think you know better and just feel like showing off, don't post. no one is putting a gun to your head and ask you to type. if you have nothing good to say, don't post.

a number of you have taken it upon yourself to be the 'criticizer-in-chief' of CS on just about everything. personally, i don't care if you are some high-flying schmuck of a photographer. that doesn't give you the right to diss other people who are genuinely contributing knowledge for one and all.

so, i will gently remind one and all again, be nice. if you have nothing good & constructive to say, look away.

I believe the iPad is a potential presentation tool for the photographers and creatives to show visuals to people, it is a digital photo frame with more control and portability. It will be a WOW factor when doing presentation with some basic interactivity.

Initially I do have some doubts on this device but after reading the reviews and think about the possible usage, it is a great device to have if you have the extra cash to spare. :D

iPhone screen is too small and lugging ard the MB now is the only solution. iPad is much lighter and slimmer to lug ard.
Actually there's another old skool, affordable and light method, which is to carry a portable DVD Player with Video-In jack. It won't tether of course but at least you get a bigger screen to show your clients but still..... iPad is iPad.

I'm sure your cam can log on to myfi, but not sure if iPad can read off that network ... I should try that too, but i don't have myfi since I am already using the 3G network.

stalking me on other forums merk? :p

http://2ndnature.thebrew.dk/shuttersnitch/

i'm considering using the myfi since the price with m1 sub is pretty cheap - will see if i can multisim to use it as my Ipad data plan too (can turn 3g off the ipad when connected as photo preview).

http://m1.com.sg/M1/site/M1Corp/menuitem.bbba2e1e0cd45957f15a947b3f2000a0/?vgnextoid=d45d511fa9793210VgnVCM100000695a230aRCRD&vgnextfmt=pdate:1005101126:

for those not haunting me like merkava, here's the reply from the developer :

a) is it possibly to simultaneously upload to shuttersnitch on the iphone and your home pc / eye-fi server

No, sorry. The first server that the card finds will be the only server it uploads to.

b) eye fi pro supports raw file uploads - if those are uploaded to the ipad, can we use shuttersnitch to ftp them off?

Yup. uploads of non-JPEGs are supported - the app just doesn't display them. And yes, later on you can just log into the iPad and transfer the files off.

c) without os 4 and background application running, can shuttersnitch be put in a 'fire and forget' mode. that is, i turn it on and pair it with my eye fi card then put the ipad in a bag while it runs

Yes, that should be doable. You would have to keep the screen turned on though, to avoid having the iPad going to sleep. Turning the screen brightness all the way down should help on the batterylife in this scenario. I'm don't think OS4 will help with this one - but if the possibility is there, I'll program it.

d) there is a jailbreak app that turns the iphone/ipad into a wireless hotspot - would that be sufficient to connect the pad with the eye-fi card?

As a developer I can't condone JB ..but people say it works yes.

the developer seems to be pretty on the ball about improving or at least bugfixing the product - shuttersnitch for ipad is already on its 3rd patch since the gadget launched last month, and i've seen him lurking on the eye-fi forums too, answering questions about his program there :)

Can't wait to put these theories to the test! Even considering what bag to use with all this LOL

considering http://www.tamrac.com/5535.htm

there is also a smaller version which is not rated for computers, but i think it still has a pocket which may be suitable for an ipad sized device ... assuming i don't want to carry so many lenses in a smaller bag :p

I :heart: tactful moderators. :)

Anyway, I had a friend who got the Ipad from the states and the screen is amazing. I can imagine how previewing on it would feel like! its a beauty. Thanks for sharing!

update :

M1 and Starhub do not allow multi-sim option for data only plans :( must be attached to a voice line *grr*