Apple iPad as a photo previewer!

I would advise against letting direct clients look at the RAW, unprocessed captures... they might not be able to make the leap from RAW capture to post-processed shots... it would be better if possible to run the RAW tethered capture through a capture software (like Capture One Pro), running on a laptop or desktop, that can apply at least exposure and colour adjustments on the fly with every capture, and then beam this as a preview screen real-time

strange...ipad cant edit photos..and preview on 10" screen... zzz
i rather carry a 10" laptop with photoshop in it. at least can do more stuff.

I think you missed the point. When you shoot, you only have at best a 3 inch LCD screen to preview your shots. iPad allows me to preview on a 10 inch screen as I shoot, and that's what I think is cool.

You sounds like an apple fanboy...

Apple fanboy test:

1. You always get the latest apple poduct whenever affordable.
2. You just love apple.
3. Even if the product isn't good in hardware spec or no pratical use to you, you still love it and try to find use for it to satisfy you emptyness
4. You enjoy promoting the products to others like friends, relative and internet mates.
5. A 3 year old design still looks in style to you.
6. You never thought of yourself as a market for apple, but rather as apple makes "the best" product you can get.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy test:

2. You just love apple.
3. Even if the product isn't good in hardware spec or no pratical use to you, you still love it and try to find use for it to satisfy you emptyness
4. You enjoy promoting the products to others like friends, relative and internet mates.
6. You never thought of yourself as a market for apple, but rather as apple makes "the best" product you can get.

I love Apple. Your point being?

Actually you might be surprised to find that there are apps like Photopad and Photogene that allows you to edit photos very much like PS. Even with histograms and curves on top of the usual cropping and filters.

check out Photogene's review for example: http://www.macstories.net/ipad/photogene/

Whether a net book can do more than an iPad is another discussion altogether. :)

Last edited:
ipad can not edit photos? that's sucks.... ;p
i know iphone or itouch have a lot of photo editor apps, as far i know thats apps is only for fun.
I'm using android phone now, it have photoshop mobile version.

I'm not a big fans of apple or ipad but if ipad have photoshop lite version or mobile version, it would be great.
Just imagine edit photos using masking, layering, sharpening, brushing using your finger tips on the touch screen. :think:....

hey, thanks for sharing the information. Would be cool to be able to view sharpness from a 10 inch screen. 3" is simply not enough. For landscapist, maybe 3 inch is enough... but certainly not for other type of work... haha...

I would advise against letting direct clients look at the RAW, unprocessed captures... they might not be able to make the leap from RAW capture to post-processed shots... it would be better if possible to run the RAW tethered capture through a capture software (like Capture One Pro), running on a laptop or desktop, that can apply at least exposure and colour adjustments on the fly with every capture, and then beam this as a preview screen real-time

FYI, AFAIK, the iPad cannot display RAW files, only JPEGs or embedded small JPEGS within the RAW files. While these are not perfect, they usually have 'in camera' adjustments applied to them for display.

Not saying that's good enough for client work, just saying thats how it is ;)

Actually you might be surprised to find that there are apps like Photopad and Photogene that allows you to edit photos very much like PS. Even with histograms and curves on top of the usual cropping and filters.

Whether a net book can do more than an iPad is another discussion altogether. :)

Regarding personal stuff, best to bring it over to the kopitiam section. Good finding and nice idea. But if you are talking to a geek, unless he is a apple fanboy, chances of him telling you that a Ipad is a huge no is great. I am a geek myself and a bit closer to the linux side due to the freedom of open-source even with the kennel layer.

For the technical area, you can refer to the video of a stripped Ipad
http://gigaom.com/2010/04/05/the-ipads-not-so-revolutionary-inside/

About the tech part, better not to explain more about each compoment as it will be very long like history classes:bsmilie:. But the conclusion is that I will not agree that a Ipad is comparable to a laptop both OS software and hardware. But it can be a nice quick image editor console on the go.

Secondly, about the possible programs expending. Lets ask a simple question of you as a programmer, will you develop applications that has its kennel locked and the only classes you can use for you program are apple inbulilted stuff? Also there are all those underpowered hardware with no dedicated graphic and the only reason it runs fast is because it cannot multitask?

Regarding personal stuff, best to bring it over to the kopitiam section. Good finding and nice idea. But if you are talking to a geek, unless he is a apple fanboy, chances of him telling you that a Ipad is a huge no is great. I am a geek myself and a bit closer to the linux side due to the freedom of open-source even with the kennel layer.

For the technical area, you can refer to the video of a stripped Ipad
http://gigaom.com/2010/04/05/the-ipads-not-so-revolutionary-inside/

About the tech part, better not to explain more about each compoment as it will be very long like history classes:bsmilie:. But the conclusion is that I will not agree that a Ipad is comparable to a laptop both OS software and hardware. But it can be a nice quick image editor console on the go.

Secondly, about the possible programs expending. Lets ask a simple question of you as a programmer, will you develop applications that has its kennel locked and the only classes you can use for you program are apple inbulilted stuff? Also there are all those underpowered hardware with no dedicated graphic and the only reason it runs fast is because it cannot multitask?

:thumbsup: much better post than your 'you must be an Apple fanboy' one.

Apple fanboy test:

2. You just love apple.

hmm ...

1. nope.
2. i do love apples. red ones, green ones, yellow ones and metal ones.
3. lets see - bright screen, lightweight, good battery life, wifi+3g ... works for me. as for practical use, if you actually read the thread, you might realize thats what we are working on.
4. when you enjoy something, you don't like to share? that's called selfishness.
5. good design is timeless.
6. apple makes good products and if you have invested in their software/itunes store/accessories, why not wait and see if what they have coming next suits you? brand loyalty isn't necessarily a bad thing

joking aside, i think we need to try and be open minded. apple does not always come out with the best new gadgets - apple tv? magic mouse? but you seem to be bashing people just for buying an apple product.
the iPad is not the solution to all your problems, but it fits the needs of a number of people. in my case i was really not tempted to buy one, until i heard about these software applications and started to consider how to chain things together. so i can find a use for it, and would like to try it out. why is that a bad thing?
if i want to edit photos or carry around a lot of storage on a trip, i'll use my notebook. if i want to process a large amount of photos, i'll use my desktop. for running around shooting and reviewing - i hope to use this iPad ;)

hmm ...

1. nope.
2. i do love apples. red ones, green ones, yellow ones and metal ones.
3. lets see - bright screen, lightweight, good battery life, wifi+3g ... works for me. as for practical use, if you actually read the thread, you might realize thats what we are working on.
4. when you enjoy something, you don't like to share? that's called selfishness.
5. good design is timeless.
6. apple makes good products and if you have invested in their software/itunes store/accessories, why not wait and see if what they have coming next suits you? brand loyalty isn't necessarily a bad thing

joking aside, i think we need to try and be open minded. apple does not always come out with the best new gadgets - apple tv? magic mouse? but you seem to be bashing people just for buying an apple product.
the iPad is not the solution to all your problems, but it fits the needs of a number of people. in my case i was really not tempted to buy one, until i heard about these software applications and started to consider how to chain things together. so i can find a use for it, and would like to try it out. why is that a bad thing?
if i want to edit photos or carry around a lot of storage on a trip, i'll use my notebook. if i want to process a large amount of photos, i'll use my desktop. for running around shooting and reviewing - i hope to use this iPad ;)

Apple has a lot of bad products, most of their music players suck.

That aside, I don't think this iPad will be any much better than using an ULV laptop.

Thanks for sharing!! WOo Hoo!! Ignore those comments that dun know what is the title about "Apple iPad as a photo previewer! ". Some people in this forum think too much! It's a forum, so we share share.. no need to be so serious or negative!!! Cheers bro and thanks!

Apple very smart to not have external CF or SD card connected to IPAD. WOO HOO !!!

Apple has a lot of bad products, most of their music players suck.

That aside, I don't think this iPad will be any much better than using an ULV laptop.
leave the apple hate aside and see how ppl are incorporating it into their work flow. If it does suit you, fine but come up with something more than just "they make bad products" comments.

don't think a netbook will be that much better with photoshop.

in that sense, presentation with an ipad will probably be superior to presentation with a netbook. :)

i really still cannot bring myself to reconcile with the idea that people just want a huge preview screen though, i think it would be rather hard to even manage dslr + equipment + ipad unless you happen to have a stand for it, which takes a bit off the portability edge, which is why i said what i said.

and no, i don't think apple makes bad products, i just think they tend to make overpriced products, which is slightly different from bad. ;)

Apple very smart to not have external CF or SD card connected to IPAD. WOO HOO !!!

The camera kit comes with 2 adapters: USB and SD slot. So yeah, SD no problem.

What's more important: I attached a multi card reader into the USB adapter, put in a CF, and it reads perfectly! RAW files (.nef)

leave the apple hate aside and see how ppl are incorporating it into their work flow. If it does suit you, fine but come up with something more than just "they make bad products" comments.

I don't hate the brand. I just think that they make bad music players and some of their products aren't up to par given the price asked. If they come up with a winning product, I wouldn't mind buying one. Say, an iPod with good SQ and equaliser or a multi-tasking iPhone. Guess if you stick an Apple logo on the Nexus One, it'll sell even better than the iPhone at its initial launch. I think the iPad is a failure because it cannot multitask and it has no USB ports. Yes, it has been mentioned before. You are entitled to your own opinions. I'm sure the iPad is fabulous and all for some people. I just don't think that way. I won't comment in this thread anymore so as to avoid straying from the topic further.

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Last edited:
The camera kit comes with 2 adapters: USB and SD slot. So yeah, SD no problem.

What's more important: I attached a multi card reader into the USB adapter, put in a CF, and it reads perfectly! RAW files (.nef)

well, i thought it would not be such a problem to include an in-built multi-card reader, won't you agree that would be a big plus?

will be better if its built in SD CF reader . . cant be dragging a wire all around 24 hours !