Aperture and shuttle speed ?? -> Canon A40

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKF

Apr 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi ...I'm a newbie in Digi Cam

Wanna ask what is shuttle speed for ?? The 1/500 , 1 , 2 etc ???

And what is aperture use for .. For A40 , 2.8 is for what purpose and what is 8 for ....

Will a UV Filter make the pictures taken nicer ???

Thanks

welcome to the A40 family. I am new to photography too. I belive the shutter speed means how long the shutter will be open. the aperture is the size of the opening when the shutter opens.

I understand that the shuttle speed means the timing but what is it really use for ???

Ad for aperture ... what is it use for ?? For what kind of situations should i use that configuration ??

Originally posted by GKF
I understand that the shuttle speed means the timing but what is it really use for ???

Ad for aperture ... what is it use for ?? For what kind of situations should i use that configuration ??

Here, I found something on shuttle speed for you:

Shuttle Re-entry
The belly of the shuttle is covered with special tiles which dissipate heat. Without this protection, the shuttle would not survive re-entry. At the shuttle's speed of 8 kilometers per second, the friction caused by collisions with air molecules heat the shuttle about 1430 degrees Celsius.

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/Academy/SPACE/SolarSystem/Meteors/meteors.html

or maybe you mean this:

Shuttle Speed

The shuttles were traditionally divided into 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 according to the weight of the shuttles. 49 weights 4.9g, 50 means 5.0g, 51 means 5.1g and so on.We found the shuttles using these rating was inaccurate and therefore was difficult to classify. So we change the shuttles' speed standard. We use Speed 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 instead. There is a 30cm distance between each speed. Shuttle speeds are ideal for different parts of the world. For example, shuttles with Speed 76 are used in China during the summer and 77 during the winter months. We send the shuttles with Speed 75 to Thailand, Speed 76 ,77 to Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia, Speed 77, 78 to U.S.A., Speed 78,79 to Finland, Canada, Korea and Japan. Speed 79, 80 to Australia in winter. Speed 73-74 would only be played in high altitude area as Yunnan Province in China and Colorado Springs in U.S.A. ; high temperature area as Johannesburg in South Africa

Very funny erwinx.... ;)

Well, it should be shutter speed, not shuttle.

Let's see if I can explain it in layman terms:

UV lens: normally filters out ultra-violet light. By right, not supposed to affect picture quality although I was the one who mentioned there seemed to be some improvement. But this is only my guess, nothing concrete yet.

Shutter speed: This is the amount of time the camera's shutter is open to allow light into the camera when you take a photo. The longer it's open, the more light gets captured. So, if at night, you set it to a long shutter speed (eg. > 1 sec) and in bright daylight you set it to a short shutter speed (eg. 1/1000 sec). If it opens for too long, picture can be over-exposed (too bright). Open too short time, picture can be under-exposed (very dark).

Aperture: This is how big the lens opening is (eg. how wide eyes open). The larger it is, the more light gets in. The smaller, less light. Small aperture number denotes bigger opening. Large number means smaller opening.

Hope that helped. (Hope my theory is right - I'm not pro).

;)

as to what shutter speed and aperture setting to use in manual mode for you camera under different lighting conditions, you have to rely on your experience. but you could experiment for "free" since it's a digital camera :)

some other cameras usually have shutter priority or aperture priority mode where you set one and the camera automatically determines the other setting to get the right exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.