AP has grey sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosycatus

Jun 9, 2004
Read on the 20d thread that AP has grey sets? So beside the cheaper price, are there any difference? Like no warranty?
And how do u ask for grey sets? Just ask " ey, uncle got grey set or not?"
i want to buy a s60...

i just got a grey len from them without knowing after i brought it.... i went home.. found out there is no warranty in the box.... called them out.. then they tell me its grey... grey means warranty by the shop~

ooo...
but usually how much cheaper are the prices?
I think its okay, juding from the amt of business they have even on a weekday, i think AP will be there for quite a while

AP has a reputation of passing off grey sets as fully warrantied sets. It's buyer beware with them. It happened to me too and I went back to demand either a refund or a full official warranty.

A grey set is supposedly covered by the shop's warranty, basically bring it back to the shop should any defect occur. AP isn't exactly known for it's wonderful level of service so I'm a little wary of their form of shop warranty. On the other hand, TCW deals in grey sets and I know for a fact they honour their shop warranty with a smile. They have their own service centre and are able to make repairs as required. I would recommend TCW if you're going to buy grey stuff. Their prices are just as competitive although their range of products may not be as extensive as AP.

As a general rule of thumb, I try to stay away from a certain S.L. Square in bugis, esp for camera products. As suggested, The Camera Workshop is a good place for greys.

Well, may i suggest that u source for qoutes at MS colours or Cathay Photo before making ya decisions. Compare prices before making an informed decision. Personally, i find MS colours's quotations rather attractive. Sometimes paying bit more for warranty or more honest dealings at places with better reputations. ( ie. peaceful sleep at night ) is worth it.

P/S: MS colours and CP don't sell grey, if i am not wrong.

Of coz, the above is just IMHO.

cheers

Terence n the rest...do shops have a responsibility of telling the customers that their stocks are grey? Many people do not know that shops actually sell grey sets, especially to the many who do not visit this forum.

Hmm... How much cheaper if I get a grey set of lens den it is to the original retail price??

$300? $500?

Sleepless said:
Terence n the rest...do shops have a responsibility of telling the customers that their stocks are grey? Many people do not know that shops actually sell grey sets, especially to the many who do not visit this forum.

Nope, they tell you their price. You think is good you buy. But when you ask about warranty, some will tell you shop warranty. That is the difference.

Without this forum, we learn by experience :) either personally or through friends.

From personal experience (I've bought grey sets from both TCW & AP)-

AP will sell you the grey set as if it is a normal set. You don't ask, they don't tell. You walk away thinking you've got a good deal until you find out otherwise.

TCW will more often then not, mention that the warranty is by the shop before you make the purchase. If at that time you wish to pull out of the purchase, they are completely fine with that.

TCW's shop warranty is also very reliable. Service is reasonably fast and good!

Cheers!

In my experience of shops which handle grey and full warrantied products, the dealers will not divulge the status of the warranty unless asked directly.

As a very general rule of thumb, grey prices are usually about 5-10% less than full warrantied sets, depending on the equipment and the dealer. Personally I find AP grey sets to be rather expensive.

TCW is about the only shop I know who will make it a point to let the buyer know that their equipment sold are all under shop warranty only.

Getting a quote from MS and CP is a good idea. Do note their quotes sometimes vary wildly depending on who issued the quote and also if they know you. That again is my own personal experience. I find MS a bit more stable and reasonable in their quotes.

I had posted my experience with AP on a thread last year after discovering the lens I bought was a grey set only after I left the shop. They had sold it to me as a fully warrantied set, even going so far as to tell me that directly. The price was only about $20 less than what MS had quoted me.

I brought it back to AP the same afternoon I purchased it and asked for a refund or to give me a full warranty. After a very uncomfortable discussion, the salesman rudely snatched the bags out of my hands and proceeded to open the boxes to check the contents. He issued the official Canon warranty but kept making rude remarks and waving his hand at me, all this in open view of other customers. I felt embarassed for him. Needless to say that was the last time I ever bought anything from them.

This experience happened only after 2 weeks of purchasing a 10D from the same salesman. I would've thought he would have given a returning customer a better level of service. I thought wrong.

So beware if you're thinking of getting something from them. The same salesman still works there.

Sigh... why AP like that? Is it so hard for them to make money that they have to vent their attitude on the customer? I also always feel quite disappointed after purchase or visit to AP. Wish there was a way for us, customers to teach them a lesson... it's with good intentions really ;)

You just need to be very careful when they quote you prices cheaper than elsewhere, often it's grey sets and you just go off without checking the warranty card, I think a few Nikonians also kena before.

And the price they quote for grey is not very attractive anyway, probably $20-$50 less than what CP is offering and their original warrantied set is probably $50-$70 more than what CP would offer, it's a psychological thingie maybe, since you're there spend a bit more get warrantied set than going down to CP and buy the same item cheaper.

Hello,

could i know where is AP located at and what is the full name for AP? thanks !

ws_2004 said:
Hello,

could i know where is AP located at and what is the full name for AP? thanks !

Alan Photo. Sim Lim Sq Level 1

AP Service sux to the core... price so-so... I always buy my cam stuff from MS-color

When i started off some time back, i used to think better of them as seems came across quite a number of recommendations. Hence i would drop by casually , check out prices and actually bought some low-key items to start the ball rolling, also as part litmus test as well to probe out the "right" salesperson each round (i know there always will be).

Yes admittedly there may be 1 or 2 (max) 'nicer' (or should say, less obtusive)staff there..but pls note carefully overall the culture there is rather 'equivalent'. Its the same money-magnet SLS nature permeating. service is but a fog theres happen to be there in the morning, but be gone when come brighter prospects.

after some dealing, one can easily catergorise their general attitudes:

1. IF THEY PERCEIVE YOU AS WITH NORMAL SPENDING POWER - they will likely ignore you or give you cold shoulders or the 'lookover', course increasingly so with increasing visits...till hopefully you dont turn up any more.

2. IF THEY PERCEIVE YOU AS A BIG SPENDER (Foreigners are instantly beknighted "Sirs") - you'd be surprised how fast each of them will 'whack' on you, even if they are serving current customers!

3. IF THEY PERCEIVE YOU AS A KNOWLEDGABLE BUYER WHOS RETURNING SATISFIED FROM A PREVIOUS PURCHASE - they might be just that slightly nicer and be likely more reasonable in quotes, then again MAYBE..and IF they can take your face.

4. IF THEY PERCEIVE YOU AS A NOT-SO-KNOWLEDGABLE BUYER WHOS RETURNING STILL SATISFIED FROM A PREVIOUS PURCHASE - in their eyes, you should see a 'big big carrot'...especially if you have brought along another big carrot...ahem sorry, friend.

5. IF THEY PERCEIVE YOU AS A BUYER WHOS RETURNING DISSATISFIED FROM A PREVIOUS PURCHASE, REGARDLESS KNOWLEDGABLE OR NOT - the first question they ask is "whats good in it for me in this mess?.." and they will take the direction from there depending your stand. my advice is if you are not happy, pre-empt the salesman's reaction and strategise internally in declining order of 'win-win' scenarios...ie "why dont i make it quick for us all by topping up say $20 ok la!" but be prepared for the really nasty turns (bring a bigger friend along?..)

My say is a phone check is still the best policy, as they cant really gauge you if you play it well. btw, tried that on them initially and theres where i got my first impression - they are not inclined to do even some simple price/specs checking (think mscolour does that all the time lest the item attracts frequent call-ins). imagine if they are too 'busy' to check a price, what would make them suddenly able to quote you in face as you 'stroll in'. question is can you trust that quote?..

ps: i have nothing against them though admittedly their prices are not that great - its just that the shop seems to exhibit some camera candy shop thingy..mmm..well, same comments goes to many other such dealers, so its caveat emptor (buyer beware)...anyhow pls pls pls always check what you plan to buy AND ABOUT TO PAY FOR...always period.

wah, didn't know AP got such bad reputation. I got my ixus from them 4 mths back without any problems. Paid $640 which is the normal price then, and registered my warranty with canon to get the mem card.

Er, where is this The camera workshop ?

The Camera Workshop,
Peninsula Hotel Shopping Center.Level 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.