Anyone tried Vibram Fivefingers ?

So, vngks, what do you think of trekking in Lukla with this Fiverfinger shoes?
(Serious question, serious question one. Want to ask your opinion.)

Very cold.......plus there are no ankle support......one twist of your ankle and it will ruin the whole trip.......

Very cold.......plus there are no ankle support......one twist of your ankle and it will ruin the whole trip.......

Leong23, very right very right. Good feedback.
I have weak ankles and I still find my usual ankle height trekking boots very stable.
I was just thinking, for those who do not have weak ankles, and who are training to strengthen their ankles and the other muscles, this Fiverfinger certainly looks good.
Maybe one day i would give it a shot... but not for trekking lah.

U know what ... i am going novena sq later to check out the vibram shoes after work :p

Ryan

The only thing that is stopping me from buying it now is the price ;p

This would be the easiest way to get plantar fasciitis. Whats the advantage of this to a shoe?

I think the advantage of this Fivefinger is that one would run with the ball of the feet striking the ground instead of the normal heel-strike.
Plantar fasciitis is oft a manifestation of pressure on the heel aspect of the fascia.
I think, by wearing this fivefinger, one would reduce the risk of heel pressure.
Maybe that's how it helps reduce plantar fasciitis.

I am not too sure of the exact bad dynamics leading to plantar fasciitis either, just that they can be a horrible nuisance to suffer from.

Anyhow i went to try out one of them, and the first thing that struck me was the price. 199 SGD for the KSO. which costs 85 USD on the vibram website (There is no option for online purchase on their website because there is a distributor locally ). The local distributor and/or distributors sure know how to do the math, and i am not even sure if the other retailers sell any cheaper.

I got my sizing anyhow, but will scout for an online purchase..

Ryan

I think my friend got his through online shopping, amazon if I remember correctly.

The interested parties are folks who are looking to:
a) Reduce injury
b) Have more efficient running
c) a by product can be speed

The folks who have mostly taken this up are those who want to go barefoot/help their running technique. The sole adds protection from stepping on things you don't want to :)

Reference for you would be posetech.com or chirunning.com to understand why the model has become popular.

My preference is pose as it gives the science and has been developed a guy with a pHd in biomechanics who trained the russian olympic team rather than a guy who did a spin off of pose and introduces too much voodoo magic!!! But both techniques are popular amongst runners. The VFF help encourage folks to be more natural in their running technique/helps to support pose/chi

It will probably become a fashion accessory to wear at clubs and pubs due to its price ;)

I think my friend got his through online shopping, amazon if I remember correctly.

amazon looks like only got selected sizing .... i need to grow bigger feet!

I am not too sure of the exact bad dynamics leading to plantar fasciitis either, just that they can be a horrible nuisance to suffer from.

Anyhow i went to try out one of them, and the first thing that struck me was the price. 199 SGD for the KSO. which costs 85 USD on the vibram website (There is no option for online purchase on their website because there is a distributor locally ). The local distributor and/or distributors sure know how to do the math, and i am not even sure if the other retailers sell any cheaper.

I got my sizing anyhow, but will scout for an online purchase..

Ryan

Same here, the price put me off S$200 for a "slipper". You can buy a top grade running shoe with this price. Will wait til the price drop or buy in HKG.

Sourced some of the more reputable online stores and vibram themselves, they do not allow me to enter vpost address as the billing address, keeps running into credit card verification issues. Maybe i shld get my friends in states to get for me instead.

Ryan

Sourced some of the more reputable online stores and vibram themselves, they do not allow me to enter vpost address as the billing address, keeps running into credit card verification issues. Maybe i shld get my friends in states to get for me instead.

Ryan

if you do - go try them on here for size and then order via US friends

A word of caution...

Please, please, please do not buy any shoes (five finger or even the best tech packed hiking boots) and go off hiking or training in them. Break them in slowly. You will be doing a major outsourcing campaign for pain (if not injuries) if you expect to put them on and conquer the dirt beneath your feet.

For shoes wear comfortable socks as well. For vibrams, wash them often.

Happy Exploring.

A word of caution...

Please, please, please do not buy any shoes (five finger or even the best tech packed hiking boots) and go off hiking or training in them. Break them in slowly. You will be doing a major outsourcing campaign for pain (if not injuries) if you expect to put them on and conquer the dirt beneath your feet.

For shoes wear comfortable socks as well. For vibrams, wash them often.

Happy Exploring.

Very insightful words sebastian. I intend to go slow actually. Watched a few videos on forefoot strike running and tried it yesterday, cannot tahan. Got a copy of Born to Run from my friend as recommended, already enjoying the first chapter.

Slowly i hope to get back the healthier me i was like 5 yrs ago :bsmilie:

( meanwhile seriously thinking of getting local concierge services to get me the blardy shoes ... )

Ryan

Went to Taka to check out Vibram. For the same KSO model, they quoted 10 bucks more compared to Novena. ( at 209 bucks )

I doubt it will be any lower in other retailers.

Here are the branches if anyone is interested :

http://www.innovatez.com/Site/Vibram_Retailers.html

Ryan

5360085122_8d93abe6f8_o.jpg

Price of shipping via vpost the Vibram KSO shoes i ordered, 149 SGD in total after price+vpost shipment. A 50+ SGD savings nontheless :bsmilie:

Ryan

just some updates

My KSO arrived 3 days after my last post ( very speedy by vpost standards )
Lots of horrible blisters after wearing it for my first run in KSO without socks. The seams are too cutting for my pampered feet. The 8km was torturing for the blisters

Bought 2 pairs of Injinji micro socks one black one white, and it got better. Black one somehow is a little shorter ( dunno why ) and i got blisters after yesterday's run at both tendo archilles area ;(
Bought the longer minicrew Injini socks today ( on 36 hr shift work today so it is a running break for me )

Running wise ( ignoring the blisters ) yery comfortable to run, as if there is no weight at all ( i immediately realised the difference after alternating with my asics ) . Doing more forefoot strike and midfoot strike. Heel strike is just naturally not natural with KSO. Can feel alot of strain in the intrinsic muscles of my feet and lower half of the calves ( probably not much of the bulk of the gastroc ) Very different feeling to be able to wriggle the toes and feel little twigs and pebbles under the feet. But i need to really get the blister thing out of the way before i really enjoy the run with these shoes.

Vpost having free Conciege services for DBS card for a limited period, dreaming of getting a pair of Bikila right from vibram america :devil::devil::devil:. Will try size later in Novena heheh

Ryan