Anyone still doing or interested in Large Format?

SUN 26 th Jul 09 TIME? Final Location?

1) foxtwo, sinar f1 + 75mm (tentative, but will try my best to make it :D)
2) DM (TBC): horseman mono, 65mm, 150mm, will be shooting rollfilm but can bring extra 4x5 holders in case anyone needs. Expired trans though. :embrass:
3) sweat100, Omega view 45D, 127mm and 180mm. Will bring 6x7, 6x9 and Polaroid film holder. Expired trans as well.
4) pisscok (Coming for hands-on session)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Can my proposed time of 5pm at Merlion be ok? Shooting at esplande. I feel it is a good location. Other please add to the name list. :)

2) DM (TBC): horseman mono, 65mm, 150mm, will be shooting rollfilm but can bring extra 4x5 holders in case anyone needs. Expired trans though. :embrass:
3) sweat100, Omega view 45D, 127mm and 180mm. Will bring 6x7, 6x9 and Polaroid film holder. Expired trans as well.
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Can my proposed time of 5pm at Merlion be ok? Shooting at esplande. I feel it is a good location. Other please add to the name list. :)

Would there be enough time?

Considering some may be late, need time to set-up and do intro and scout for angles? How about set-up at Esplanade and shoot towards Fullerton/Merlion? That way don't have to do major wipe-down after the shoot.

5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

I'll bring a fresh 4x5 film, you guys prefer BW or Slide?

Some really excellent reading for anyone interested:

Very comprehensive guide: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

What's a View Camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_camera

What's a Field Camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_camera

What is Scheimpflug principle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

A Visual Demo of the Scheimpflug principle in use (really easy to understand): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4m70xr9mE

Hope this helps.

Would there be enough time?

Considering some may be late, need time to set-up and do intro and scout for angles? How about set-up at Esplanade and shoot towards Fullerton/Merlion? That way don't have to do major wipe-down after the shoot.

I thought you suggested shooting the Esplanade earlier. :bsmilie: Anywhere is fine with me, but prefer a quiet spot if possible. Don't want to lose any eqpt to curious passerbys.

I think shouldn't wait till that day to scout. Lug so much gear around still have to scout, lol. Those who is free do a recce first, 150mm ~ 38mm and 75mm ~ 19mm, if you think got a good location, not too cramp, take a few shots and post up here lor. Then we can decide.

Last edited:

Either is fine, do u intend to field load them into spare holders?

i will be shooting both if there's a chance. Think have expired tri-x around.:D

I thought you suggested shooting the Esplanade earlier. Anywhere is fine with me, but prefer a quiet spot if possible. Don't want to lose any eqpt to curious passerbys.

I think shouldn't wait till that day to scout. Lug so much gear around still have to scout, lol. Those who is free do a recce first, 150mm ~ 50mm and 75mm ~ 22mm, if you think got a good location, not too cramp, take a few shots and post up here lor. Then we can decide.

From previous experience, both the Esplanade and merlion areas will be packed with people on Sundays, in general. It gets quiet around dinner (7pm?).

I did? :confused: Old man liao ... I remembered suggesting peninsula area or SBG because there are many things to shoot in those areas, and toilets/food/drinks are close at hand.

Wait, chope. I was just asking for clarification. :cool:

sweat mentioned
Location of shoot: Merlion overlooking esplanade." and "take a photo in the vicinity of esplande

and later in the same post:
Time: 5pm at esplanade entrance where the seats are

so i wasn't quite sure exactly what we would be shooting since to "shoot the Merlion overlooking the Esplanade" as suggested might require we be in a different location quite far away from both the Esplanade and Merlion. :sweat: Err ... I take the term 'Esplanade' to mean the two durian buildings.

No offense at all to sweat, but I'm trying to visualise exactly what you had in mind. It's really great you're taking this initiative to organise an outing. WINK!

At any rate, for a casual meet-up, I would suggest avoid being too close to the vomiting lion - you'll be surprised how much salty water vapor is in the entire vicinity. If paid assignment or portfolio shot, different storey. :devil:

Good suggestion on advance recce.

What I mentioned was a follow-on to what was mentioned earlier - for the newbies to recce their angles with DSLRs. This also suggests that the LF cameras might have to be moved around from shot to shot unless we have one camera available per newbie. :) Woah! That would be a really nice group shot if there were like 5 or 6 LFs set-up in the vicinity!

Compact camera/DSLR etc for those who does not have LF camera. You can use this to frame your shots and get the correct spot to shoot later.

Last edited:

pisscok, that's very generous and kind of you! :heart:

From the looks of it, it looks like 4x5 film is settled liao since 3 people can bring. :cool:

Personally I'll be shooting color trans if it's in 4x5 as I do not have the equipment to develop any kind of 4x5s. I can devp up to 120 B&W myself. I know fotohub does 4x5 color trans. Do they do 4x5 B&W as well?

Hi foxtwo, my mount is a toyo/omega view camera mount. 75mm is really wide, I dont have a recessed lens board, but i think should not be a problem. The drill hole I have is copal 1.

Cool, how do you transport your view camera around? Disassembled in the bag or keep it in a hard case?

btw, saw you're bringing a polaroid holder. Great cos I have expired polaroids on hand. :D Wow uncovering my hidden stores is like Christmas morning! ;p provia 100f, astia 100, velvia 50, e100g, 100tmax, 320tri-x, 64T, polaroid 664

Film rocks!

A thought to share.
Meet at Funan Bldg - Mac = Cool and comfortable. Parking is easy on Sunday.
Shooting - Short walk to Singapore River and very spacious along the river bank (From Parliament Hse to Fullerton Bridge). Lighting is better as the afternoon sun direction is from Fort Canning Hill towards the CBD/Fullerton. Should be good if you are shooting ie Singapore CBD buildings, Fullerton Hotel w/ bridge in the fore ground or even the New High Court or the old shophouse/new high rise. Area is ideal to test both wide angle and tele lens.
End session in the cool Mac again for any further discussion.

Cheers

pisscok, that's very generous and kind of you! :heart:

From the looks of it, it looks like 4x5 film is settled liao since 3 people can bring. :cool:

Personally I'll be shooting color trans if it's in 4x5 as I do not have the equipment to develop any kind of 4x5s. I can devp up to 120 B&W myself. I know fotohub does 4x5 color trans. Do they do 4x5 B&W as well?

I hope ruby still does 4x5B&W, but they take up to a week or so.

Hi DM, sorry I think I didnt bring across my point well. The gathering place is esplanade entrance where you have some seats at the entrance. Shooting place is where merlion is. We will be shooting the esplanade from that area. It should not be a problem in my opinion. A normal 50mm FOV (on 35mm format) to wide angle is applicable for that area of shoot. That area is away from the salt spray since it is at one end of the railing. Usually when you setup the tripod, then the area is like "secured".

This is a picture http://app.mica.gov.sg/DesktopModul...x?PortalID=0&ItemID=22&Border=White&sb=0&sd=0
for your reference of the approx picture we will be shooting.

When shooting macro at SBG, it takes more time and we also need to calculate the exposure compensation needed when the bellows are extended for macro. And wind can be a problem also. That requires much more patience to get a correct shot.

DM, if you have a exact place in Peninsular or SBG, I am ok if it is 4pm or later, since I will only be back in the noon from Malaysia. If not, I dont think I can attend on 26th already.

A thought to share.
Meet at Funan Bldg - Mac = Cool and comfortable. Parking is easy on Sunday.
Shooting - Short walk to Singapore River and very spacious along the river bank (From Parliament Hse to Fullerton Bridge). Lighting is better as the afternoon sun direction is from Fort Canning Hill towards the CBD/Fullerton. Should be good if you are shooting ie Singapore CBD buildings, Fullerton Hotel w/ bridge in the fore ground or even the New High Court or the old shophouse/new high rise. Area is ideal to test both wide angle and tele lens.
End session in the cool Mac again for any further discussion.

Cheers

That is good place as well! I am ok with that. :) Sorry I didn't consider parking cos still taking public transport only (still a student). :embrass:

1) foxtwo, sinar f1 + 75mm (tentative, but will try my best to make it )
2) DM (TBC): horseman mono, 65mm, 150mm, will be shooting rollfilm but can bring extra 4x5 holders in case anyone needs. Expired trans though.
5) aloyyolaaloy (coming for hands-on :sweatsm:)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Those who is free do a recce first, 150mm ~ 50mm and 75mm ~ 22mm, if you think got a good location, not too cramp, take a few shots and post up here lor. Then we can decide.
OK, I'm free this saturday and I have 100mm, 50mm, 35mm and 28mm lenses, I'll take a few shots with my FM2n around that area.

Either is fine, do u intend to field load them into spare holders?
I'll only bring either BW or Slide, not both :)

I hope ruby still does 4x5B&W, but they take up to a week or so.
FotoHub can only develop 4x5 and 8x10 slide film.
4x5 (no mount) S$3.40
8x10 (no mount) S$9.70

The problem is, they can't scan it.
They can only scan up until 120 film (up to 6x9) :dunno:

Hi DM, sorry I think I didnt bring across my point well. The gathering place is esplanade entrance where you have some seats at the entrance. Shooting place is where merlion is. We will be shooting the esplanade from that area. It should not be a problem in my opinion. A normal 50mm FOV (on 35mm format) to wide angle is applicable for that area of shoot. That area is away from the salt spray since it is at one end of the railing. Usually when you setup the tripod, then the area is like "secured".

This is a picture http://app.mica.gov.sg/DesktopModul...x?PortalID=0&ItemID=22&Border=White&sb=0&sd=0
for your reference of the approx picture we will be shooting.

When shooting macro at SBG, it takes more time and we also need to calculate the exposure compensation needed when the bellows are extended for macro. And wind can be a problem also. That requires much more patience to get a correct shot.

DM, if you have a exact place in Peninsular or SBG, I am ok if it is 4pm or later, since I will only be back in the noon from Malaysia. If not, I dont think I can attend on 26th already.

No worries at all sweat. I was just wondering because of the confusing data.

Essentially, I would place convenience, comfort and amenities as top priority since this is an initial meet-up with inexperienced LF shooters attending. Even if it were at SBG, it does not necessarily mean we would be shooting macro as SBG offers many wide vistas and great plantscapes and walks.

Do you still want to stick with shooting the Esplanade from the Merlion area, or would you rather another location now that fatcat has suggested another possibility bearing in mind various factors? :)

Thanks fatcat for that suggestion. ;)

Last edited:
1) foxtwo, sinar f1 + 75mm (tentative, but will try my best to make it )
2) DM (TBC): horseman mono, 65mm, 150mm, will be shooting rollfilm but can bring extra 4x5 holders in case anyone needs. Expired trans though.
5) aloyyolaaloy (coming for hands-on :sweatsm:)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Welcome aloyyolaaloy! :)

have you used a LF before?

Some really excellent reading for anyone interested:

Very comprehensive guide: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

What's a View Camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_camera

What's a Field Camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_camera

What is Scheimpflug principle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

A Visual Demo of the Scheimpflug principle in use (really easy to understand): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4m70xr9mE

Last edited:
OK, I'm free this saturday and I have 100mm, 50mm, 35mm and 28mm lenses, I'll take a few shots with my FM2n around that area.

heh, I converted 150mm (LF) wrongly. It should be ~38mm, not 50mm. Think you don't have to bring your 100mm la, unlikely we have 400mm LF lense. lol.

The problem is, they can't scan it.
They can only scan up until 120 film (up to 6x9) :dunno:

I can scan. But don't think I will have time to do it till after ICT.

No worries at all sweat. I was just wondering because of the confusing data.

Essentially, I would place convenience, comfort and amenities as top priority since this is an initial meet-up with inexperienced LF shooters attending. Even if it were at SBG, it does not necessarily mean we would be shooting macro as SBG offers many wide vistas and great plantscapes and walks.

Do you still want to stick with shooting the Esplanade from the Merlion area, or would you rather another location now that fatcat has suggested another possibility bearing in mind various factors? :)

Thanks fatcat for that suggestion. ;)

I like fatcat's suggestion since it is more convenient for people who drive. For SBG, I dont think I can make it already cos it will have to be early noon. :cry: