Anyone Remember The Old Funan Centre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately, i would like to say i dont know everything you listed but i hate to say i know BBS and i know us robotics and i have a 14.4k modem :embrass: :cry:

unfortunately, i would like to say i dont know everything you listed but i hate to say i know BBS and i know us robotics and i have a 14.4k modem :embrass: :cry:

14.4K !! you want to donate to museum ah? :bsmilie:

Haha... i think i should be able to find my GVC 2,400 and GVC 14.4k and USR 28.8k modem in my storeroom. It's still around. :bsmilie: I have to learn to throw my stuffs. too many of all these antiques lying around.

Oh.. which BBS do you frequent?

Does anyone have picture of Funan 20 year ago?:dunno:

Haha, maybe u can find some old lost friends from the BBS/IRC era...

Haha... i think i should be able to find my GVC 2,400 and GVC 14.4k and USR 28.8k modem in my storeroom. It's still around. :bsmilie: I have to learn to throw my stuffs. too many of all these antiques lying around.

Oh.. which BBS do you frequent?

i cant remember.

no lah no lah..i dont know what bbs is lah.i'm born after 80s...:sticktong :bsmilie:

Not sure if anyone was formerly on BBS (before Internet started). I'll mention a few things and see if anyone can recall. :)

1. FidoNet
2. BRE (online game)
3. Operations Overkill (online game)
4. RA (Remote Access BBS Software)
5. Frontdoor (Mail Exchange BBS Software)
6. Commo (client software to connect to BBS)
7. 2,400, 9,600, 14.4k modems (anyone use this before??)

Micro Village in Funan brings in the USRobotics modems. Prior to that, most of the modemers (BBS Users) bring in directly from US or through some kind of mass order.

I think the BBS scene went dead in 1995 when SingNet appeared. So, those born after 1980 may not know what is BBS. It's the father / grandfather of Online community / communications!!!

Was on Teleview!

Dun have 20 years ago la. In the early 90s, its was still the old Funan. I remembered Da Da Records on the 3rd floor with its seperate section for original made in USA boxed CDs.

Husband and wife team. Not very friendly.

Of cos she has to have a 14.4k modem. It was the bestest thing at that time :)

Not sure if anyone was formerly on BBS (before Internet started). I'll mention a few things and see if anyone can recall. :)

1. FidoNet
2. BRE (online game)
3. Operations Overkill (online game)
4. RA (Remote Access BBS Software)
5. Frontdoor (Mail Exchange BBS Software)
6. Commo (client software to connect to BBS)
7. 2,400, 9,600, 14.4k modems (anyone use this before??)

Micro Village in Funan brings in the USRobotics modems. Prior to that, most of the modemers (BBS Users) bring in directly from US or through some kind of mass order.

I think the BBS scene went dead in 1995 when SingNet appeared. So, those born after 1980 may not know what is BBS. It's the father / grandfather of Online community / communications!!!

yeah, I remember Fidonet, USRobotics modem and queuing up to buy at Elan Venture, those were the days:)

Of cos she has to have a 14.4k modem. It was the bestest thing at that time :)

Luckily, she never talk about 300 bps or 1,200 modem. If not, we will know her age... :bsmilie:

I think I'll probably sound very old if I talk about such things... damn..

Luckily, she never talk about 300 bps or 1,200 modem. If not, we will know her age... :bsmilie:

hahhaha!
picha lobang:bsmilie:

Husband and wife team. Not very friendly.

haha ya not very friendly to newbies. But the wife quite nice la. Their old shop stock a lot of CDs including singles.

You're not alone .. I used to use a 300 bps on Apple II and subsequently upgraded to a 1200 on an XT. Used to chat and exchange ideas with BBS operators then.

BTW the photo of Funan Centre is one that was renovated. I remember it was really dingy and dark in the original building, sometime in the mid 80's I think.

You're not alone .. I used to use a 300 bps on Apple II and subsequently upgraded to a 1200 on an XT. Used to chat and exchange ideas with BBS operators then.

BTW the photo of Funan Centre is one that was renovated. I remember it was really dingy and dark in the original building, sometime in the mid 80's I think.

Which BBS do you frequent? Maybe I will know you. :bsmilie:

If you're referring to the one on the top floor, I don't believe the name is Corona, but I can remember that they served lemon chicken rice with a fantastic chillie sauce that had some bite. It was my favorite stall.
did recognize the 2 brothers n their mum (the owners?) when they moved to colombo court, n it was called corona by then....

Status
Not open for further replies.