Anyone Remember The Old Funan Centre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There used to be a mac donalds at the ground floor with a large sitting area, right in the center of the building. During examination period, you can see a lot of students occupying those seats studying.

During those days, many games were copy protected. Then came a floppy controller card called Transcopy. Anyone got one of those?

14.4K !! you want to donate to museum ah? :bsmilie:

I've got a working 300 bp/s modem with a hack on it to make it run asymetric at 1200(down)/75(up).

My first Internet (IP) connection was over a 2400bps modem using 'SLIP'. It was so fast when that was replaced by first 9600bps modem, then 14.4k bps.

Now my Internet connection has a few more zeros in it's download speed.

Not sure if anyone was formerly on BBS (before Internet started). I'll mention a few things and see if anyone can recall. :)

1. FidoNet
2. BRE (online game)
3. Operations Overkill (online game)
4. RA (Remote Access BBS Software)
5. Frontdoor (Mail Exchange BBS Software)
6. Commo (client software to connect to BBS)
7. 2,400, 9,600, 14.4k modems (anyone use this before??)

Micro Village in Funan brings in the USRobotics modems. Prior to that, most of the modemers (BBS Users) bring in directly from US or through some kind of mass order.

I think the BBS scene went dead in 1995 when SingNet appeared. So, those born after 1980 may not know what is BBS. It's the father / grandfather of Online community / communications!!!

Those were the time! ANSI graphics and there's this dragon slaying online game. Used to run a small board called Metropolis.

There's these few multi-line BBS around who could have "live" chatting something like an MSN. Modems run on telephone lines so my home line always get hog up whenever "surfing". Grin. Get screwed by parents for always not able to call in. then came internet & ICQ (which was a luxury) and the BBS community died out.

Those were the time! ANSI graphics and there's this dragon slaying online game. Used to run a small board called Metropolis.

There's these few multi-line BBS around who could have "live" chatting something like an MSN. Modems run on telephone lines so my home line always get hog up whenever "surfing". Grin. Get screwed by parents for always not able to call in. then came internet & ICQ (which was a luxury) and the BBS community died out.

Message Boards takes hours / days to travel from one BBS to another.

Today, we can't even tolerate emails that were delivered 2 hours late. :)

Which BBS do you frequent? Maybe I will know you. :bsmilie:

No longer remember the names but can remember types like Fidonet, RBBS, etc etc ..
It was so long ago ... yah, maybe we may have bumped into each other then ;)

Well, if u want tat "old shopping centres feel", u can always go to Beauty World...

Yes! Beauty World! 7 mile stone area!

So many old people thinking about "... those were the days ..." here :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Cool... I poll mails from Fidonet Hub 200 and I'm node 230. I used to run TechLink.

I wrote a small program called fndd2 (Fidonet Nodediff Processor for OS/2). Apparently, it is still available for download in some fidonet web sites (is Fidonet still alive?). You probably can find it on google.com, if you still need it! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.