Anyone heard of Vitacon UV Filter ? : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even those recommended by CS forum can also be chop-able.. guess they'll be even more daring in chopping already..

Hi.

I just bought a Vitacon brand's Premium Series Super Pro UV filter - Ultra Slim 1mm (thickness) UV filter Multi-coated 52mm... S$48

After reading up on this post, i got the feeling whether i got 'cheated' too? As i couldn't find Vitacon website on google. Except for this info from the web that a Singapore registered company sells it?

Can anyone helps to verify it? Also how come there's some 'speckles' on the filter upon close inspection against the light?

Hi.

I just bought a Vitacon brand's Premium Series Super Pro UV filter - Ultra Slim 1mm (thickness) UV filter Multi-coated 52mm... S$48

After reading up on this post, i got the feeling whether i got 'cheated' too? As i couldn't find Vitacon website on google. Except for this info from the web that a Singapore registered company sells it?

Can anyone helps to verify it? Also how come there's some 'speckles' on the filter upon close inspection against the light?
Perhaps someone has use it and then returned to exchange for a Hoya or B+W? ;p

Hi.

Nikon NC which is a whole lot better, is only $35 on the price list. What do you think?

Do more homework in future before buying.

You did not get cheated. You just got ripped of or "chopped". Willing buyer, willing seller. Just do your research before buying. FYI you could have bought a B+W or Hoya HD filter at that kind of price. As for the "slim" profile, most lenses that use 52mm filters do not need slim ones. Slim filters are only useful for UWAs which tend to have filter sizes of 77mm/82mm or when you want to stack multiple filters.

Perhaps someone has use it and then returned to exchange for a Hoya or B+W? ;p
Wah... dat's a 'cruel' joke :sticktong

Nikon NC which is a whole lot better, is only $35 on the price list. What do you think?

Do more homework in future before buying.
My homework was that the Nikon NC filters are no longer in production...

You did not get cheated. You just got ripped of or "chopped". Willing buyer, willing seller. Just do your research before buying. FYI you could have bought a B+W or Hoya HD filter at that kind of price. As for the "slim" profile, most lenses that use 52mm filters do not need slim ones. Slim filters are only useful for UWAs which tend to have filter sizes of 77mm/82mm or when you want to stack multiple filters.
Actually i was attracted to the store's sale advertisement of "70% off" sticker on its window... i told the seller i wanted Hoya but was not interested in the standard Hoya filter. Then he recommended Vitacon which i told him i neber heard off as i only heard of B+W, Hoya, Kenko, Marumi and Tokina brand. Then he said Vitacon is a professional brand, but i don't believe till he showed me some test comparision between Vitacon 1mm slim filter against the Hoya's standard UV filter... Vitacon was good as i saw it was 99.99% clearer than the Hoya's standard. I was put off when he said it's price was S$58. I told him i thought his shop said got discount then he gave me this fixed discounted S$48. HOWEVER, HE WIPED THE FILTER BEFORE SELLING IT TO ME IN ITS CASE. I thought i was happy after buying it (but felt strange that a seller has to wipe the filter's surface...) till i bumped into this thread... and then upon close inspection... i saw some 'speckles'... my heart sunk...

Nevermind, i learnt my lesson... next time don't trust any shops that say "70% discount" unless it is a professional shops like Cathy Photo or John 3:16

For your info, i need slim filter to stack up with my Hoya infrared filter... meaning that this Vitacon 1mm filter is on my len and then the infrared filter (my Nikon D1 is IR-unconverted, I'm saving money and getting enough experiences first before spending more money to convert my D1 to Full-IR)

Since i bought already will subject it to further abuse :devil:

Last edited:

I just got a 52mm NC last month. Not many shops sells them. Try Lords at Lucky Plaza or Cathay Photo..

Last edited:

They are not out of production. The L37 filters are.

NC filters are the best (except that they are hard to clean). I have 4 of them and never had to take them off because of flare of anything so far.

I just got a 52mm NC last month. Not many shops sells them. Try Lords at Lucky Plaza or Cathay Photo..

I thought by now Nikon NC filters are no longer in stock since Nikon Corp has stopped producing them... or i was attracted to the "70% discount" sticker on the shop window?

I was like a moth attracted to a fire ... I will BLACKLIST that shop in my record!

Last edited:
They are not out of production. The L37 filters are.

NC filters are the best (except that they are hard to clean). I have 4 of them and never had to take them off because of flare of anything so far.

Pity.. Looks like Nikon is really pulling out of film photography. L37c and L1Bc were my favourites. I still have many lenses with L37c and L1Bc on them. Only the newer lenses have NC on them. ;p

Pity.. Looks like Nikon is really pulling out of film photography. L37c and L1Bc were my favourites. I still have many lenses with L37c and L1Bc on them. Only the newer lenses have NC on them. ;p

Lucky i got one last of the Nikon NC 67mm filter (2nd hand) on my other lens (2nd hand)... but it's surface is beginning to wear down... maybe time to get B+W which is easier to wipe clean as mentioned in the other thread

I thought by now Nikon NC filters are no longer in stock since Nikon Corp has stopped producing them...

Hmm.. I haven't heard anything.. Where was your source? Maybe you should start blacklisting your source as well.. ;p NC is only introduced very recently (less than 5 years or so) so it's unlikely that Nikon discontinued them.

Lucky i got one last of the Nikon NC 67mm filter (2nd hand) on my other lens (2nd hand)... but it's surface is beginning to wear down... maybe time to get B+W which is easier to wipe clean as mentioned in the other thread

Just use your breath to mist up the surface and use a lens tissue to wipe it in a circular motion from the centre outwards. Repeat until the filter is clean.. (Disclaimer: you may get out of breath if you have respiratory problems. If this is the case, use a lens cleaning fluid.) Nikon's SIC coating is very durable as long as you don't use detergent to wash it.

Hmm.. I haven't heard anything.. Where was your source? Maybe you should start blacklisting your source as well.. NC is only introduced very recently (less than 5 years or so) so it's unlikely that Nikon discontinued them.

:embrass: paiseh... its is becoz i read that some forumers from other sites wrote Nikon filters are no longer in production - which may not be true (verifications please). You are right that it is just not many shops are stocking up/selling Nikon filters. Instead i BLACKLIST THAT SHOP

Just use your breath to mist up the surface and use a lens tissue to wipe it in a circular motion from the centre outwards. Repeat until the filter is clean.. (Disclaimer: you may get out of breath if you have respiratory problems. If this is the case, use a lens cleaning fluid.) Nikon's SIC coating is very durable as long as you don't use detergent to wash it.

Thanks 'senior' Isisaxon for your valuable advice on how to clean the Nikon filters. Don't worry abt me having out of breadth as i am 'trained' :cool:

Last edited:

Just a quick check - I was told by both people in the optical industry as well as a lens manufacturers that most optical cleaning formulas contain some sort of 'detergent' formula similar to dish washing fluid.

Additionally, some preparations also contain ammonia which may or may not affect certain types of coatings which is why using Windex is generally not a good idea on coated or multi-coated optics. However, ROR, a popular lens cleaner does contain ammonia, and reports with problems when using ROR are on the net.

Note to self: Danged! Gotta stop soaking ma eyeballs in ROR!

Last edited:
This may sound crude but true.

If you have never learn scratching a filter when cleaning, you won't know what is safe cleaning.

Too careless, you scratch the glass. Too careful all your life and you will not know when to expect the scratch.

This may sound crude but true.

If you have never learn scratching a filter when cleaning, you won't know what is safe cleaning.

Too careless, you scratch the glass. Too careful all your life and you will not know when to expect the scratch.

I suspect the seller from that shop which had "70% discount" ad-sticker, just wanted to clear all his old stocks, and then he WIPES the filter before putting it in its case and then sold it to me!

Nevermind, that shop is BLACKLISTED in my record! A lesson learnt.

Last edited:
Sorry, did not read this story. Ignoring the price and chop chop matters. Not sure if you are referring to the very tiny dots on the filter surface, looks like some salt residue but it is round and only visible when you look at the filter against the light.

Well it happens to all my filter after some use (expensive to cheap). Some are so tiny that can be only be remove by lenspen. Others are permanent but don't cause any issue at all.

Some shops that actually clearing old stocks may based on very old price (maybe 2-3 yrs ago). So their 70% may be against a on 3 years ago price. But I learned to avoid unionized shops. :bsmilie:

Actually i was attracted to the store's sale advertisement of "70% off" sticker on its window... i told the seller i wanted Hoya but was not interested in the standard Hoya filter. Then he recommended Vitacon which i told him i neber heard off as i only heard of B+W, Hoya, Kenko, Marumi and Tokina brand. Then he said Vitacon is a professional brand, but i don't believe till he showed me some test comparision between Vitacon 1mm slim filter against the Hoya's standard UV filter... Vitacon was good as i saw it was 99.99% clearer than the Hoya's standard. I was put off when he said it's price was S$58. I told him i thought his shop said got discount then he gave me this fixed discounted S$48. HOWEVER, HE WIPED THE FILTER BEFORE SELLING IT TO ME IN ITS CASE. I thought i was happy after buying it (but felt strange that a seller has to wipe the filter's surface...) till i bumped into this thread... and then upon close inspection... i saw some 'speckles'... my heart sunk...

Nevermind, i learnt my lesson... next time don't trust any shops that say "70% discount" unless it is a professional shops like Cathy Photo or John 3:16

For your info, i need slim filter to stack up with my Hoya infrared filter... meaning that this Vitacon 1mm filter is on my len and then the infrared filter (my Nikon D1 is IR-unconverted, I'm saving money and getting enough experiences first before spending more money to convert my D1 to Full-IR)

Since i bought already will subject it to further abuse :devil:

Just a quick check - I was told by both people in the optical industry as well as a lens manufacturers that most optical cleaning formulas contain some sort of 'detergent' formula similar to dish washing fluid.

Additionally, some preparations also contain ammonia which may or may not affect certain types of coatings which is why using Windex is generally not a good idea on coated or multi-coated optics. However, ROR, a popular lens cleaner does contain ammonia, and reports with problems when using ROR are on the net.

Note to self: Danged! Gotta stop soaking ma eyeballs in ROR!

That's why I get my lens cleaning liquid (Purasol) from Edmund Optics. I won't trust any others which uses solvent or any other detergent which may damage the multicoating.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2520

Status
Not open for further replies.