Anyone heard of Vitacon UV Filter ? : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diameter ...? So now I am using 67mm for my current lense. I can only buy back 67mm for my lense ? 72mm would not be able to fit ? Do you mean that ?

Why do you want to mount a bigger filter? What do you expect from that? Since 72mm is obviously bigger than 67mm - it will not fit. That's the reason why filters come in different diameters: they can fit different diameters of lenses. If you want to use a UV filter or clear protector filter just get the right size for the lens and that's it. Step-up rings only make sense for filters like ND or CPL which are not used very often. (The link posted earlier by Rashkae will tell you what kind of filter that is!)
Never trust sales men. Their target is to sell and they will do anything to sell you everything they can find in their shop. They are not a charity or educational organization to educate uninformed newbies. Do your homework first before you enter any shop.

TS...dun be discontent by the brand....once u post in a forum....sure got lots of ppl with lots of idea for u ....
I got a Hoya UV lens as a freebies when i got my camera....and still...got ppl in the forum tell me that....dun be too happy with the freebies ...the filter could be some old stock that the shop try to clear...the quality is no good.....

I only have 2 qns..does filter have an EXPIRY date??!?!?!?......HOYA ley....isn't it very good meh?!?!?!??....now I take most of the concern with a pinch of salt.... a photography fren actually told me to stay away from CS....but I baddie....cant help it but always come in and see...

if u cannot see the difference....than there are NO differences.....

hmm
i got an 72mm HMC super slim multi-coated 72mm filter for 25? but thats cos i bought other stuff from the shop owner. personally i haven found any problem with using the lens....its not easily scratch too

this is just to ease ur mind too
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519123

...but u will feel sick if u see this...
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/VITACON-1A-S...QQptZLH_DefaultDomain_216?hash=item1e583ef4b4

and here if u wanna know more abt vitacon
http://www.photoconsumer.com/accessories.html
u aint cheated...maybe just overcharge by $5-$10(if urs is an ultra slim)its probably abt 40 bucks

Hi,

Ya it's ultra slim... oh maybe the shop owner didn't really cheat me. How come ultra slim is more expensive ? How is the difference between a ultra slim and a normal thickness filter ? Got difference in image quality or just purely looks huh ??

Btw I went to ask about a normal Hoya UV filter, its cost around 35 bucks only but i remember the name I saw sounds like Super Pro Digital, when I ask how about "Hoya Super Pro Digital", they quote me $65, wah how come such a big difference, both also Hoya

well at least u got a Vitacon. I have Fotodiox not 1 but 3. UV, Polarizing, diffuser.

Hi,

Ya it's ultra slim... oh maybe the shop owner didn't really cheat me. How come ultra slim is more expensive ? How is the difference between a ultra slim and a normal thickness filter ? Got difference in image quality or just purely looks huh ??

Btw I went to ask about a normal Hoya UV filter, its cost around 35 bucks only but i remember the name I saw sounds like Super Pro Digital, when I ask how about "Hoya Super Pro Digital", they quote me $65, wah how come such a big difference, both also Hoya

Ultra slim is... well, slim, when compare to the normal filter. Its is normally used on UWA lenses to avoid vignetting, and has nothing to do with the filter's quality, which depends on the coating on the filter. See here for more info on filters technologies.

Please refer to CS' filter price guide for the price of various filters.

Vitacon though not "branded" is still a useable brand. One mention of the brand I will suspect Alan Photo. I got it or my video cam. No choice really cos only they have it in 25mm thread. On the other hand, paying for reputed filters will usually cost many times more with very incremental improvements in pic quality unless u peep real hard.

Try sell it off on eBay and re-purchase if u feel real sore about it. That's wat I usually do

:)

When you keep pondering price differences over brands, you have created a stigma on your purchase without determining the real outcome first. UV and clear filters are the most basic glass filters, unless there is flaring problem, the difference is often so insignificant. In situation where there is an angle bright sun, lens hood is the only thing that can save the glare.

Unless you have intention to ask the shop for a change, you will end up buying another filter doubling the expensive. And if you don't go for the ultra slim filter, you end up with more problem later.

Real ultra slim filter have glass that is thin and tough. Cheaper brands merely reduce the ring thickness which ends up having very shallow front thread like Tiffen, making it very difficult to screw addon filters and lens cap grip. While others may not be as thin as it expected or glass is so thin that it breaks.

All I can say is, you will notice one lousy filter when you use it. Either it will scratch after few cleans, flares, fog and smudge.

Hi,

Last edited:
if u cannot see the difference....than there are NO differences.....

Sometimes we have to learn to see. You can check the usual lens review pages to see how they assess the quality of an image and look for loss of image quality (e.g. corner sharpness).
The differences might not be obvious in normal daylight images but different conditions can make the differences very clear. Here is a quite comprehensive test of UV filters. You can do the normal tests (e.g. flare tests) with your filter and compare.

IMO the lens cost thousands, and for this reason I would want to put the best filter I can afford in front of this lens to protect and to maximise its capabilities.

IMO the lens cost thousands, and for this reason I would want to put the best filter I can afford in front of this lens to protect and to maximise its capabilities.

ie. if the lens cost thousands, I would agree. However, for a kit lens worth 300-400, does not make much sense to spend more than 10% on the filter... I use filters just for protection. If optical quality is that important, go bare.

TS can simply test out the difference himself. Vitacon is not the best UV filter around, but hey, if TS cannot discern the difference, it's the same to him/her whichever filter (or lack of) that he/she use.

I got my 72mm vitacon 1mm super slim UV filter for $18 at alan photo and yet I still think I paid more than I should have, so $40 for smaller filter is... oh well..

Hi,

Because one is multicoated and the other is not. Anyway, his price is on the high side. A 67mm Hoya Pro-1 Digital should not cost more than $50. If you're concerned, go for Nikon NC instead. I only have Hoya filters only on my 3rd party lenses. All my Nikon lenses are using Nikon filters, either NC, L1Bc or L37c.

I got my 72mm vitacon 1mm super slim UV filter for $18 at alan photo and yet I still think I paid more than I should have, so $40 for smaller filter is... oh well..

Bro...that is the shop which cabbage me $40 bucks for a 67mm Vitacon 1mm super slim UV filter..... sigh I look like a typical singaporean chinese, not an angmo or tourist. I haven't go back to scold them yet.

Should I change for a better filter for a $1.7k D90 w kit lense camera huh? cos I haven't go out to the shop to take a look at the good filters yet, scare I spend another 60-80 for another good filter, end up actually the same as before.

Anyway, any bro newbies here who is going to buy his first DSLR camera at Alan Photo, remember not to be as stupid as me to pay $40 for that UV filter. (They even charge me $50 at first and then unwillingly reduce to $40..OMG) Take me as lesson learnt .... And becareful of their other offerings. Sian, the thing I am angry is that they don't give face to fellow singaporean,and I even told them I am recommended by clubsnap forum to buy from their shop, didn't even give 'face'.

Don't misunderstand me for flaming shop name, just want to share my own real incident for the benefit of other newbies, hope it don't happen to the next person, though it's just 40 bucks, it can apply to other equipments as well.

I am not going back there to buy lenses or equipments, they have spoiled the customer relationship

Last edited:
problems with autofocus... 55mm 10bucks... chucked it somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.