anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer these days

Exactly, these shots look like those Lomography stuff you see at Triple D except the crowd at Triple D and Lomography.com will not even accept him coz these are dslr shots 'trying to be' and not the real lomo stuff they do.

"BTW, I just bought a conductor's baton and a tuxedo, catch me next week at the Singapore indoors stadium where I will be leading the Singapore symphony orchestra. Tickets from sicstic as usual. Oh and I just bought a brush and some canvass, so see you next month at the art museum for my gallery opening! Once I make enough money from cheating all these people who I think are stupid, I am going buy a kickass car and challenge Hamilton next year at the F1, anyone can do it these days, try it!"

And I am raised my eyebrow wondering at all these wannabes pictures so-so but logo big-big, just look at all those self-ego-stroking logos from 'whoever photography' with big red curvy scripts and frames. Skill not there but want to frame up those pos already. In the old days my chief tog would only have harsh words for us and it's back at the light box contemplating what's wrong, didn't even get to print at all. Nowadays people expect what? "Ohh nice pics, you made use of the ceiling or the wall or the floor or whatever junk" you included in the pic.

Humble a bit, lotsa silent but damn good pros reading the forum either with sadness or amusement.

nice snapshots.
what iphone app did u use?

Last edited:
yes, you are right in that statement. LOL.

Everyone can cook but not everything is tasty. There are also some home cooked food that beats the 5 star restaurant.

Its hard to regulate in this industry. haha.

agreed that the thread title is misleading and will attract flaming.

though exposure's bad, he managed to get those "moments". work on your exposure and focusing and soon those people who're beating you up on it will cringe. sometimes what the professional doesn't see, is what we GWCs can capture.

so what are the rest of your beef with the TS? there're many out there who offer "professional" services but can't deliver on standard too. although equipment will determine how others look at you, it's the end result that matters.

you can be using the latest DSLRs for all i care, but if the images turn out crappy as well, i dare say, it's not the equipment that matters. it's how you use it. TS, don't feel defeated by those comments.

but your shots seem more "luck" than knowing what to capture. so try to be humble. it's not that difficult.

This is a portfolio gallery (sub-section) so let nothing detract us from the fact.

TS, let your images do the talking and hopefully you can show us more interesting works that will inspire creativity.

I have no beef with the title of your thread, because it is a fact. I agree with what you say that by picking up a DSLR (in fact, you can even make do with any compacts or even an iPhone) you can become a Wedding Photographer. That is the starting point.

However, if what you titled is a sign of your mentality/thinking about the industry, I have a piece of advice for you.

If you hope/wish to be a truly accomplished Wedding Photographer in the future, do have some pride and respect in the art you are trying to craft.
To be a good wedding photographer, nothing is as simple as point and shoot. There are so many things to learn like, how to compose properly? How to pose properly? How to use natural light properly? How to use artificial light when no natural light is available? How to achieve proper skin tone? How to edit to make your images pop/standout? There's alot more and what I'd mentioned is merely the photography aspect of the business. And even for someone like me who's been in the industry for 3 years, I constantly feel I am only barely scrapping the surface of what I can/should achieve.

If you ever feel the need to, I am more than willing to share my experiences about the industry over a cuppa. drop me a pm anytime.

Last edited:
Thanks for the overwhelming response . Haha ... I enjoyed reading it and I haven't finished reading yet. My main intention ti thread was to invite discussion as there are many people who bought DSLRs think that they can take good pic. I think the comments here will allow many other to see and do some reflection in the photography journey.

I am not the main photographer in this wedding and I am not a pro, and I don't intend to make a living in photography. Hence I am not trying to be a competitor in this line.

I am using a 3fps feature with poor ISO quality cam. It is a picanto, not a Ferrari.
I am using lightroom to edit these pic. They are intentionally tuned in this mood. I don't call it Lomo , I just tuned it to what I have "pictured it in my mind".

I also do not have a "right lens" until the flower throwing shot, I borrowed my friend's 28-70.

These are some of the pic that I took, I just randomly post a few. My purpose is not to showcase how "good" my picture but to spark a discussion. Cos frankly, I have seen some pic from some "Pro" and I do find them boring.

Everyone has their own preference. Those shots are Not lucky shots. Those showcase here are what I see as alternative view of what I see this wedding. I have intentionally what to capture the wine glasses and the bride face wasn't my main attention for this shot.

The lens flare was created (sorry it was poor taste to some) as I have failed to get the lens flare from this shot . There was a video light from the opposite and hence I saw it was the nice moment to capture the wine glass.

Anyway, I will continue to the comments before I comment further.

Don't worry, negative comments are all welcome too . :)

If anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer, then the pros will be out of a job don't you think?
Your pictures are good, in the sense that you managed to capture the moment.
But your shots show that they have been PPed, so it takes more than owning a DSLR right?
That 'anyone' has also learn how to touch up a photo, work with album makers and be a good salesman to sell his products.
It is not as simple as it looks and I respect the pros.
They put in alot of time and effort and by making this their livelihood, they have to keep the passion alive and genuinely love taking photos.

Not anyone can just buy a DSLR and become a wedding photographer. If that is the case than anyone who can just buy a frying pan can be a chef.

Just because now a days entry level DSLR are so affordable that is why now we can see any Tom, Dick, Harry are slinging a DSLR walking around. And a lot of people got the thinking of owning a DSLR and they are a photographer. Actually they are just a Photography Hobbyist. You need more than just a DSLR to become a actual photographer especially a Wedding Photographer. Cheers!

yeah i have 2 bodies and few lens but photography is just a hobby for me. im not a pro =)

nice shot!
:D

Thanks , I use lightroom , tune the color myself. Cos I dunno how to use photoshop. :(

Dear derricksony,
EiRiK is being sarcastic... you have really put a dent in his ego.

Anyway, if the couple in the pictures like your work... what can any photographer say?

Keep shooting!!!

Last edited:
Hei mind to share what lens u use ? : )
Do u use external flash ? : )
Your pic v nice : )
As my friend ask me help on photograph on his wedding .

I am not the main photographer in this wedding and I am not a pro, and I don't intend to make a living in photography. Hence I am not trying to be a competitor in this line.

Exactly, maybe thats why you have no love for this industry and even feel the need to stir sh*t with this thread. You dont make a living in photography, but many others do.

To say a word of fairness, amateurs are really the people who are making breakthroughs in photography, they are the real people behind the photography movement, not the pros. Amateurs are actually the people who constantly do experimental and interesting things with photography, and are generous in sharing their methods and techniques. They are the people who bring photography to new levels, they are the people who feed Nikon and Canon. The Pro on the other hand, are restricted by market norms, pay packets, expectations of clients, deadlines, feeding a family... and thus often produce repeated work, without much breakthrough.

But don't forget pros were once amateurs and photography lover just like you Derrick, just because we make our living with photography doesnt mean you can belittle our craft. You don't know sh*t and donno what you are talking.

I am using a 3fps feature with poor ISO quality cam.

I also do not have a "right lens" until the flower throwing shot, I borrowed my friend's 28-70.

You do not have the right equipment but boldly states in your title anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer. Man, I will be very very worried if my wedding photographer dont use the right equipment for my wedding.

These are some of the pic that I took, I just randomly post a few. My purpose is not to showcase how "good" my picture but to spark a discussion. Cos frankly, I have seen some pic from some "Pro" and I do find them boring.

You showed your own underexposed pics and then and complained 'some pro' pictures boring. Its like a fat guy telling another fat guy his overweight.

The lens flare was created (sorry it was poor taste to some) as I have failed to get the lens flare from this shot . There was a video light from the opposite and hence I saw it was the nice moment to capture the wine glass.

See? Does it require skill and knowledge to properly express what you saw into photos and result? Or 'anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer'? The camera do the thinking for you?

Thanks , I use lightroom , tune the color myself. Cos I dunno how to use photoshop. :(

Photoshop is the industry standard software. If you tell the bride and groom you donno photoshop, do you think you can make the booking and become their wedding photographer? or do you tell them the 'anyone can buy a DSLR' line again? And are you sure you used Lightroom to put in those (ugly and fake) lens flare? Those were done with Photoshop. You are not very honest aren't you?

Dear derricksony,
EiRiK is being sarcastic... you have really put a dent in his ego.

Anyway, if the couple in the pictures like your work... what can any photographer say?

Keep shooting!!!

That is IF the couple really likes, but they hired a real wedding photographer for a reason right? They probably got through portfolio of several photographers and interviewed them before choosing isn't it? A lot of people take pictures at wedding, what makes you think the couple care for the pictures taken by any other guest? The fact is that wedding couples in reality cares most about the photos they paid for.

And yes, he needs all the support he has, even if the supporter only have one post.

Hei mind to share what lens u use ? : )
Do u use external flash ? : )
Your pic v nice : )
As my friend ask me help on photograph on his wedding .

At least you got 8 posts.

Last edited:
Am not an expert but the shots have been edited with brightness pushed up heavily. Hence, the blacks do not appear black.

With regards to the issue that anyone with DSLR can be a photographer. I agree on this BUT with interest, perseverance, discipline and practice. Photography, like other form of art/skill do not develop in just a snap. It is a result of hard work.

The shots look promising though. Keep it up bro!!

Hey derricksony, you got a lot to learn and to grow up with your generalisation of this meaningless title & your replies here... Start by searching various photography forum (incl here at CS) and read many books & magazines. After you read go and experiment, practice, practice & more practice with your gears and ask feedback questions in Newbies section of the forum. You will definitely improve tremendously i assure you.

You should have make you objective & intention clearly in your first post (instead of post#26).

Last edited:
Hi TS, I really love the shots that you took and felt that you managed to capture the moments very well. Do continue to shoot and post more :)

But please dun make sweeping statements as why you have wrote on the title of your thread. Many amateurs such as myself aspire to be a pro photographer one day and what you wrote in the title is really demoralizing as we've spent countless hours trying to learn the art.. and you make it sound like it's some kinda easy skill that even a 3 year old can achieve.

That being said, please continue to post more so that lousy amateurs like myself can learn more, thanks.

I am an accidental photographer in my friend's wedding. So can you.
Thanks for viewing.

DSC06053.jpg

nice moment captured, but i'm not really a fan of the washed out look in the photo. would prefer more natural skin tones,
e.g.
5905001559_55af689bd0_o.jpg

#2 and #3 are nice, but the flare is like a alien laser gun aiming at you.
If amateur phg can shoot like that, the pros got to be careful, luckily he is untrained and might remain so.

Love all the comments, ppl are free to say what they want, that is the beauty of democracy :)

Last edited: