anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer these days

So this is your 'experimental' picture that is supposed to a surprise from the boring pictures the couple's boring professional photographer produced? Sure look those pictures shot with handphone. :)

Anyway, I will continue to post some of the "not creative shots" from this same wedding just for sharing :)

EXPORT_1264.jpg

The last shot taken in this wedding which was closed to midnight. I use high ISO as it was very dark and requested the bride to turn around. The shot has very high ISO noise, but the picture turned out to almost exactly what have pictured in mind...it was a pure experiment.

Not that most professional wedding photographer won't dare to experiment shots in client wedding, it is because most of the time they do not have this luxury of time as what the 2nd shooter or guests have as too many things happenning at the same time and main photographer need to focus on the wedding plan itinary. Most of the time, they are capturing the most important shots that what the client expected and paid for (be it group shots, cake cuttings, etc...). Only time for experiment i know from experiences as a main wedding photographer is during the couple meal times (which is not long also).

Off course if the wedding couple request a certain type of pictures they would have informed the photographer way ahead of the wedding day so that the photographer can prepare and plan those shots.

Open to new idea is good but if that execution of the shot in the wedding is making the couple nervous or frustrated then it will make the couple uncomfortable (and usually it will show in the pictures...smiles are not there, etc..) and that is not what you want during the wedding day as the couple are already very stress with this big event already.

Usually i would take the couple for a pre-shoot to make them comfortable with my style of shooting & communication so that the couple would be more relax & comfortable on the actual day of wedding.

You can see from the words he used and the statements he made that how little he knew about the hard work of wedding photographers and yet he feels qualified to judge the industry by showing a few mediocre pictures with weird colors, cheesy photoshop effects and poor exposure.

What so valuable about this picture for the bride?... pictures too much noise and not sharp, cannot see details of the wedding dress, awkard angle and you cannot crop/aligned anymore without cutting into the wedding dress.

You need a faster & more fps camera with high ISO capability to capture the perfect dress position with motion as your shot shows the wedding dress is a huge ugly mess (IMO). This is not experiment but just a snapshot to me.

Maybe you should invested in some proper strong flash and do some off camera flash shooting.

EXPORT_1264.jpg

The last shot taken in this wedding which was closed to midnight. I use high ISO as it was very dark and requested the bride to turn around. The shot has very high ISO noise, but the picture turned out to almost exactly what have pictured in mind...it was a pure experiment.

Yes, I do expect these blunt posting.

For the PP, yes, I wanna make them look 2011...cos when the couple check out these picture again in 30 years later, they will say, hey see, this is what happened in that era.

At least that's how i feel when i see my 12 years old wedding pic..i enjoyed the "old fashioned" thingy then.

Yes, there are truly talented wedding photographers out there that inquires many of us...but there are also some pro that are not so inspiring. Lets encourage each other for improvement of our works.

Cheers!

To give you an idea of what is real 'experimental' and 'inspiring' photos, please take a look at the mind blowing pictures in these links:

http://www.ispwp.com/contests/ispwp...-gallery-spring-2011-bride-and-groom-portrait

http://www.ispwp.com/contests/ispwp-wedding-photography-contest-gallery-summer-2010-pure-art

If you are observant you will see some of the winnings are Singaporeans wedding photographers; eg Stephen Loh, William Chua, KC Wong,

Last edited:
What so valuable about this picture for the bride?... pictures too much noise and not sharp, cannot see details of the wedding dress, awkard angle and you cannot crop/aligned anymore without cutting into the wedding dress.

You need a faster & more fps camera with high ISO capability to capture the perfect dress position with motion as your shot shows the wedding dress is a huge ugly mess (IMO). This is not experiment but just a snapshot to me.

Maybe you should invested in some proper strong flash and do some off camera flash shooting.

I have flash, but i chosen not to use for this shot.

your www.lifestyle1881.com link is not working le, do you know? thought of checking your shots to learn from you.

To give you an idea of what is real 'experimental' and 'inspiring' photos, please take a look at the mind blowing pictures in these links:

http://www.ispwp.com/contests/ispwp...-gallery-spring-2011-bride-and-groom-portrait

http://www.ispwp.com/contests/ispwp-wedding-photography-contest-gallery-summer-2010-pure-art

If you are observant you will see some of the winnings are Singaporeans wedding photographers; eg Stephen Loh, William Chua, KC Wong,
thanks Sjackal,

Thanks I enjoyed those links, I am sure many others will find it useful.

I don't chance to experiment these type of shots that cos it was the actual wedding day and the couple had super tight schedule to follow. Even the gates crash was very very fast..lucky for the bridegroom, he didnt spend much on the ang bao too. So the situation is different from those shots that you showed me.

I just follow thru what happened that day and tried to document some of those moments.

thanks Sjackal,

Thanks I enjoyed those links, I am sure many others will find it useful.

I don't chance to experiment these type of shots that cos it was the actual wedding day and the couple had super tight schedule to follow. Even the gates crash was very very fast..lucky for the bridegroom, he didnt spend much on the ang bao too. So the situation is different from those shots that you showed me.

I just follow thru what happened that day and tried to document some of those moments.

Actually those were most probably actual day, as you can see many are from western countries, they don't have 'pre-weddings' like we like to have in Asia. They have 'Engagements' but usually not in wedding attire. It all boils down to good planning, experience and skills. If you scroll to other categories of those links, you will see other more Journalistic captures. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks sjackal. Those are fabulous pics and i'm sure is very inspirational to all of us.

It is working all day and now. Actually working for last several years :)

Most likely it's your internet connection or firewall issues. What error msg are you getting? Are you viewing from work, if so maybe there are firewall protection?

I have flash, but i chosen not to use for this shot.

your www.lifestyle1881.com link is not working le, do you know? thought of checking your shots to learn from you.

Actually those were most probably actual day, as you can see many are from western countries, they don't have 'pre-weddings' like we like to have in Asia. They have 'Engagements' but usually not in wedding attire. It all boils down to good planning, experience and skills. If you scroll to other categories of those links, you will see other more Journalistic captures. Good luck.

Yes, ang mo and local Spore wedding are different, their style not restricted to hotel restaurant wedding celebration, i believe more interesting to shoot too. BTW, it you will great if you can show us some nice picture of local wedding content that are still interesting and good reference for us to learn, i would like to learn more has it is more practical to start from here, in Singapore. I am sure many other reading this thread is keen to learn like me too.

Cheers!

Most likely it's your internet connection or firewall issues. What error msg are you getting? Are you viewing from work, if so maybe there are firewall protection?

OK, can already. I tried to check from my iphone earlier, wasnt able to access...dunno my iphone 4 is genuine one or not..haha! Will check out now!

Saw the website...hmm..very different from http://www.ispwp.com/contests/ispwp...-gallery-spring-2011-bride-and-groom-portrait and those from Ah_k.

guess this touched a raw nerve eh :bsmilie:

but here's another kicker: not all who call themselves "pro" produce fantastic work. usually most of them shoot very "normal" pictures. yet they get many jobs? why? because of good marketing.

so it's pretty much generalizing that pros are really good at what they do. not all are fantastic. at least, not by what i've seen some people post.

but on the other hand, the ispwp website was great! but not every "pro" is capable of that.

It would be better if it was sharp (as i need to squint my eyes just to see what is going on) and frame with more tighter shot.
You know the issue with these unclear & grainy shots is when you develop on larger size prints it look cr..

Collages916.jpg

The bridesmaids were quite funny.

Last edited:
You are sure right on that bro.

You can see from the words he used and the statements he made that how little he knew about the hard work of wedding photographers and yet he feels qualified to judge the industry by showing a few mediocre pictures with weird colors, cheesy photoshop effects and poor exposure.

I thought I shouldn't be saying anything since I'm not a wedding photographer. But this thread gets "funnier" by the minute. Why all the intense reactions over TS. Some of you are sounding too aggressive, need to take a walk. Yes I get that he's not up to professional standard, his title can be taken as provoking and he's made some unsounded comments about professional wedding photographers.

However, look at where he is and the context he's making these statements from. He's shooting FOC. He isn't bothered with shooting standard shots. He is given free rein as a 2nd/3rd photographer. So from the first place why compare him with professionals like yourselves? Even if he turns "pro" tomorrow, his skill bracket will restrict his client/price range and if he can still get clients then it's the clients' choice what. If he still shoots FOC then let him la... he happy can liao right.. what for he need to care about you too? Lol.

I get that the market sucks, ya commercial photography market sucking as bad for me too, so let off some steam is unavoidable. Grouse finish, then just let TS be la. I don't envy his position too. His friends could be paying less for the actual photographer cos they have TS to do the creative shots FOC. Somewhat insulting to all parties? Lol. The bigger problem is and has always been education of clients' standards. What they find acceptable or good, couldn't pass muster for those who know better. Instead of poking holes at TS, why not redirect your energies towards more fruitful endeavours. =)

I thought I shouldn't be saying anything since I'm not a wedding photographer. But this thread gets "funnier" by the minute. Why all the intense reactions over TS. Some of you are sounding too aggressive, need to take a walk. Yes I get that he's not up to professional standard, his title can be taken as provoking and he's made some unsounded comments about professional wedding photographers.

However, look at where he is and the context he's making these statements from. He's shooting FOC. He isn't bothered with shooting standard shots. He is given free rein as a 2nd/3rd photographer. So from the first place why compare him with professionals like yourselves? Even if he turns "pro" tomorrow, his skill bracket will restrict his client/price range and if he can still get clients then it's the clients' choice what. If he still shoots FOC then let him la... he happy can liao right.. what for he need to care about you too? Lol.

I get that the market sucks, ya commercial photography market sucking as bad for me too, so let off some steam is unavoidable. Grouse finish, then just let TS be la. I don't envy his position too. His friends could be paying less for the actual photographer cos they have TS to do the creative shots FOC. Somewhat insulting to all parties? Lol. The bigger problem is and has always been education of clients' standards. What they find acceptable or good, couldn't pass muster for those who know better. Instead of poking holes at TS, why not redirect your energies towards more fruitful endeavours. =)

Thanks Bro, I think you get what i mean. :) I don't intend to charge and neither I wanna to be a wedding photographer. I feel happy when i picked up my camera. It is just a paintbrush that assist me to paint the image in my mind.