Any risks of using non-original camera batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange that recently there's been recalls for faulty batteries (laptop and digital cameras). May be better not to take our batteries (original or third party) for granted. Actually, although I use my new camera quite frequently (about 20 shots a week, for e.g.), is it necessary to take the battery out or leave it in the camera? I know that removing the battery is recommended for prolonged non-usage (e.g. several weeks/months), but a few days should be fine I supposed? Think I :sweat: too much liao......should go take more photos instead...

redipsvu said:
Does anyone know of any risks of using non-original batteries? Other than possible shorter lifespan, is there any possible risk of damage to the camera, like a higher voltage or whatever? Bought a D70s during Comex, and an extra battery (not original) was provided. Was wondering if there are any risks involved while using these type of batteries? I am pretty sure the warrantly does not cover the use of "non-nikon" batteries.

Any advice?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=220747

i have a theory , if the battery is shorten lifespan of the product , the use got no choice but to buy a new set again ,

eg
scenario 1 cam bodies + original batteries = use say 5 yrs

scenario 2 cam bodies + non original batteries = use say for 3 years at the product life will be shorten.

so in a span of 10 years, company will generate sales of 3 times instead of 2 time

just a theory
kekhkhkekhekhke

Chiang said:
i have a theory , if the battery is shorten lifespan of the product , the use got no choice but to buy a new set again
When feel not satisfied, customer always can choose/buy another brand... That's a loose for the company...

Regards,
Arto.

redipsvu said:
Does anyone know of any risks of using non-original batteries? Other than possible shorter lifespan, is there any possible risk of damage to the camera, like a higher voltage or whatever? Bought a D70s during Comex, and an extra battery (not original) was provided. Was wondering if there are any risks involved while using these type of batteries? I am pretty sure the warrantly does not cover the use of "non-nikon" batteries.

Any advice?

I have both canon and 3rd party batteries.
All my canon batteries are dead after 1 to 2 years of usage and the 3rd party batteries are still going strong.

Sukoo said:
I have both canon and 3rd party batteries.
All my canon batteries are dead after 1 to 2 years of usage and the 3rd party batteries are still going strong.

Yeah, that has been my experience as well. Until a few days ago. I was trying to slot a 3rd party battery in and it seemed stuck. Took a close look and this is what I saw:

eastgearbattery.jpg

The top had popped off, and some melted stuff was oozing out. Must have happened in the battery charger. Good thing it did not happen in my camera...

In the past when you needed 4-6 batteries for one day, it made sense to get 3rd party batteries, rather than originals at 100 bucks a pop. Nowadays the battery life is so good I need only one battery for the whole day. I have a few Ixus batteries and video batteries which I have not even used yet.

guess better get one more original canon batt to couple with my batt grip:D

Status
Not open for further replies.