any recommended tripod

TS, yours is a question with no right or wrong answer. As mentioned by bro cleonbus: Person A says Manfrotto good.Person B says Gitzo good.Person C says Benro good.Person D says Sirui good.Person E says Fancier good.Person F says Fotopro good. How?

There is no one perfect tripod IMO. Suggest you start off by setting a budget for yourself, take into account all the above-mentioned factors highlighted by some fellow CSers and work within that pool of money. Otherwise you might end up spending 1k+ on a tripod. Unless you tell me $ not a problem, then I got nothing to say. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

thx cleonbus, got the idea :) i thought the differences will be something else but after reading the link you gave me, it's only matter how flexible you want to adjust and the purpose use.

Ok.Most people here(Or rather the people i know) will usually get a ball head FYI:)

Guess there is no right or wrong way of determining which tripod is good for one. As some bros here say, there must be a budget else sky is the limit. Most importantly, the tripod must be able to support the camera + lens weight (only you will know how heavy your setup is...). For me, it is SIRUI T-2204X + Manfrotto 410 Geared Head when use in SG or Manfrotto 496RC2 ballhead when travelling.

TS, yours is a question with no right or wrong answer. As mentioned by bro cleonbus: Person A says Manfrotto good.Person B says Gitzo good.Person C says Benro good.Person D says Sirui good.Person E says Fancier good.Person F says Fotopro good. How?

There is no one perfect tripod IMO. Suggest you start off by setting a budget for yourself, take into account all the above-mentioned factors highlighted by some fellow CSers and work within that pool of money. Otherwise you might end up spending 1k+ on a tripod. Unless you tell me $ not a problem, then I got nothing to say. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

yes mimik07, I agree that there is no scientific answer for this bcoz of diff ppl have diff interest the main reason why I'm bringing up this thread is mainly I dunno where to start, that why I'm asking CSer suggestion/advise/help, by reading the response from you guys It will helping me decide the right things :)

Ok.Most people here(Or rather the people i know) will usually get a ball head FYI:)
I probably will go to ball head too hehe :bsmilie:

tripod is seriously like a one-off thing so buy a really good one at the start and you need not waste money and time looking for another one in the future =)
just my 2 cents

Actually, as I shoot more and more, I do not agree with that statement. I find that my needs can be best met with a few different kinds of tripods for different situations and uses.

Some situations, a flexible center column like the xprob or explorer would really come in handy (like marco or product shoot). But even with CF versions of these tripods, they are not light. So very small travel tripod may work when travelling, backpacking, hiking or climbing a mountain. When I travel to places where security might be an issue, I would want to carry an aluminium tripod which is 1)cheap in case it gets lost, 2) hard enough to break the skull of anyone who might want to rob me. Sometimes you need to go into sea water, so you need one that is either cheap, or sea water resistant (like the new gitzo ones).

So you see, a tripod is never a one off thing, unless of course if you will never deviate from where you shoot, how you shoot and what you shoot.

Manfrotto might be my consideration thx coolegg
having you said this then probably no need to buy a tripod at HK.

BTW, Cathay is having a promotion on the very tall (but heavy) 055xprob tripod. Cheap!! Some other manfrotto models are also on sale.

http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/offers/brand/manfrotto

BTW, Cathay is having a promotion on the very tall (but heavy) 055xprob tripod. Cheap!! Some other manfrotto models are also on sale.

thx daredevil123 the price quoted is 218 and the weight is 2.4KG but still ok with me. I think I'll stuck to this hehehe. googling about Gitzo price make me headache :bigeyes: hhaha

any ball head recommended for this?

thx daredevil123 the price quoted is 218 and the weight is 2.4KG but still ok with me. I think I'll stuck to this hehehe. googling about Gitzo price make me headache :bigeyes: hhaha

486 or 488 will do.

486 or 488 will do.

Please note the 2 above ballhead models are being replaced with 496 and 498 respectively. Looks cooler, and now comes with an additional friction knob

For the manfrotto ballheads, there are a few options in terms of quick release mount, the most common being RC2. If you want a acraswiss type clamp, you can unscrew (with some force) the original clamp and screw on your own QR clamp. Recommended replacement will be Kirk QR clamp.

Actually, as I shoot more and more, I do not agree with that statement. I find that my needs can be best met with a few different kinds of tripods for different situations and uses.

Some situations, a flexible center column like the xprob or explorer would really come in handy (like marco or product shoot). But even with CF versions of these tripods, they are not light. So very small travel tripod may work when travelling, backpacking, hiking or climbing a mountain. When I travel to places where security might be an issue, I would want to carry an aluminium tripod which is 1)cheap in case it gets lost, 2) hard enough to break the skull of anyone who might want to rob me. Sometimes you need to go into sea water, so you need one that is either cheap, or sea water resistant (like the new gitzo ones).

So you see, a tripod is never a one off thing, unless of course if you will never deviate from where you shoot, how you shoot and what you shoot.

I totally agreed. That why i have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3+488RC2 for Local use and Benro C268+B-1 for travel use

The purchase with purchase is a darn good deal - MF 410 Geared Head for $185. The MF 410 itself costs $335! Tripod + Geared Head = $403. From another point of view, one pay only $68 for tripod ($335+$68=$403) if you buy Geared Head... It is a super heavy setup though - 3.5kg! :mad2:

The purchase with purchase is a darn good deal - MF 410 Geared Head for $185. The MF 410 itself costs $335! Tripod + Geared Head = $403. From another point of view, one pay only $68 for tripod ($335+$68=$403) if you buy Geared Head... It is a super heavy setup though - 3.5kg! :mad2:

Not to mention the free OPtech tripod strap and rain sleeve. That is worth $30-50 already. Great deal.

I might be in the market for another head, but the geared head is just a monster... 1.2 kg on its own!! Will probably get the 496.

For me, given a choice, I'll get the Manfrotto junior geared head 410.

When doing landscape, helps when you need to adjust 1 axis and not have to recompose the whole picture again.

My 2 cents.

Hey,

I was at CP, Peninsula plaza last night, asked for the shortest full size tripod and got hold of this manfrotto one. Feels solid to me! and its going at a discounted price of 115 hehe do check it out if you are interested, the total folded length is abt 48cm( still too long for me =s)

When doing landscape, helps when you need to adjust 1 axis and not have to recompose the whole picture again.

My 2 cents.
wah... this one every shot set-up also :sweat: hehehehe

My 2 cents.

after having second thought maybe will go to "Manfrotto junior geared head 410" since I also see the price in the market for this head is around US $200 something. maybe this offer is a good deal for me. but like mod101 said, it's damn heavy setup haha but I can life with that ;p

Hey,

I was at CP, Peninsula plaza last night, asked for the shortest full size tripod and got hold of this manfrotto one. Feels solid to me! and its going at a discounted price of 115 hehe do check it out if you are interested, the total folded length is abt 48cm( still too long for me =s)

owww maybe I just stick with 055XPROB Pro Tripod hehehe.

wah... this one every shot set-up also :sweat: hehehehe

hhaha later at your outing maybe I'm the longest person who do the setup for one shot ;p

The Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod at S$218.00 with free gifts is available
at Marina Square. However, the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head has already
sold out.

Best regards,
Sales Department
Cathay Photo Store (Pte) Ltd
Co. Reg. No.: 197200024H

FYI I was asking them about the availability of the item and got their reply.
too bad the 410 Junieor geared Head sold out. :cry:

FYI I was asking them about the availability of the item and got their reply.
too bad the 410 Junieor geared Head sold out. :cry:

Maybe a blessing in disguise.

410 is expensive and heavy for a reason. It is very good if you want very precise composition adjustments. If you change your angle a lot in your shooting, it is actually quite a bit of hassle. I think the 410 would be great for architecture shots where precision counts. But it is a monster, at 1.2 kg for the head alone. If you are a more general shooter, a ball head would be best. A pan head will be not bad also, if you shoot landscapes a lot more than anything else.

Kurni, get the 498 or 496. These new ones come with friction control even my old 488 doesn't come with.

Last edited: