Any Panasonic HMC-150/151e user?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a switch on my RODE NTG-1 mic... the symbol showing a flat line and an angled line.. is that the ATT switch ??

How much does the Pad costs ? any brands to buy ? or recommendations ?

Does this problem happens on all cameras too or.. is it more prone to this DVX camera ? or even Panasonic Cameras .. heard a lot of complaints for the HMC 152.

That switch is a low cut filter, it reduces rumble noise picked up through a mic stand, also helps with plosives if your Bs and Ps are too violent.

This is the type of pad I am talking about:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=2877

Not sure about local supplier, but you could try Hung Bros, Level 3 in SLS, or maybe some shops in SL Tower would have them

The problem will vary depending on camera and mic combination, also the recording environment. My Canon XH-A1 on-board mic cannot handle very loud bass sounds (like near the NDP PA system speakers) without the ATT switched in.

By any chance you know those people who are complaining about the HMC 150?

Perhaps they want to sell it at a slight loss? I'm interested. :)

Does anyone know the difference between HMC 150/151/152? I was thinking perhaps its the same..just a different country tag. But I saw an online shop selling an HMC 150 and an HMC 151 ...so I guess they both have different specs?

yeah.. actually i am curious too. I am contemplating on getting the 152. getting the benefit of a tapeless digital workflow, however, i came across some forum users (not CS) got intermittent 'capture interference' when using the SD cards exclusively. Unlike their sony counterpart, you can have capture to both CF/SXS and tape.

I like to try the panasonic, beautiful colours at last year's broadcastasia. my pd170 is also a great all rounder. Great low light capability, long battery hours and its ruggedness. However for my drama..its too sharp :bsmilie:..

is there any users of the XHA1, Z7P and the panasonic?..which one for documentary/drama/indie?

By any chance you know those people who are complaining about the HMC 150?

Perhaps they want to sell it at a slight loss? I'm interested. :)

Does anyone know the difference between HMC 150/151/152? I was thinking perhaps its the same..just a different country tag. But I saw an online shop selling an HMC 150 and an HMC 151 ...so I guess they both have different specs?

Those people complaining are from dvxuser forum. Though there are tons of them complaining, but that's only complaining .. don't see them selling... Maybe the Pros of the camera already outweight the cons.

HMC150 is 60Hz 30 frames per second, HMC 152 is 50Hz 25 frames per second and HMC 151 can do both. Interchangeable.

yeah.. actually i am curious too. I am contemplating on getting the 152. getting the benefit of a tapeless digital workflow, however, i came across some forum users (not CS) got intermittent 'capture interference' when using the SD cards exclusively. Unlike their sony counterpart, you can have capture to both CF/SXS and tape.

I like to try the panasonic, beautiful colours at last year's broadcastasia. my pd170 is also a great all rounder. Great low light capability, long battery hours and its ruggedness. However for my drama..its too sharp :bsmilie:..

is there any users of the XHA1, Z7P and the panasonic?..which one for documentary/drama/indie?

Heard about the intermittent interference that you are talking about. But as I read online certain NLE will recognize them and join them up automatically .. For those not recognizing, there's a software to do it.. I don't remember it's name.

That switch is a low cut filter, it reduces rumble noise picked up through a mic stand, also helps with plosives if your Bs and Ps are too violent.

This is the type of pad I am talking about:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=2877

Not sure about local supplier, but you could try Hung Bros, Level 3 in SLS, or maybe some shops in SL Tower would have them

The problem will vary depending on camera and mic combination, also the recording environment. My Canon XH-A1 on-board mic cannot handle very loud bass sounds (like near the NDP PA system speakers) without the ATT switched in.

Hi Jaegersing...

I've checked out the product that you suggested .. and it's to be inserted between the mic and the camera.. Theoretically if the mic cannot handle a high SPL, the diaphragm will rumble.. since it's already a limitation of the mic, how would this ATT solve the problem ? would like to understand more on it's theoretical side.. since my logic doesn't match up well:dunno:

Hi Jaegersing...

I've checked out the product that you suggested .. and it's to be inserted between the mic and the camera.. Theoretically if the mic cannot handle a high SPL, the diaphragm will rumble.. since it's already a limitation of the mic, how would this ATT solve the problem ? would like to understand more on it's theoretical side.. since my logic doesn't match up well:dunno:

Hi. Usually the preamp will be overloaded before the mic, so the attenuator between the mic and the preamp will prevent preamp overload. The NTG-1 has a fairly high output, which is why I think a pad will solve the problem. A less sensitive mic would also help.

Of course if the mic itself cannot tahan the sound pressure levels then you need to change the mic (or stand further away ha ha) but the chances are it's the preamp that is causing the problem.

Those people complaining are from dvxuser forum. Though there are tons of them complaining, but that's only complaining .. don't see them selling... Maybe the Pros of the camera already outweight the cons.

HMC150 is 60Hz 30 frames per second, HMC 152 is 50Hz 25 frames per second and HMC 151 can do both. Interchangeable.

Heard about the intermittent interference that you are talking about. But as I read online certain NLE will recognize them and join them up automatically .. For those not recognizing, there's a software to do it.. I don't remember it's name.

Different model number is for marketing in different countries and regions.
Example:
HMC150 NTSC: U.S.
HMC151 Switchable: Europe
HMC152 PAL: S.E. Asia
There is also HMC153 and HMC154 for other countires.

Different model number is for marketing in different countries and regions.

Yeah... This makes sense.

So i think ideally HMC151 is perfect if you live in between France and Germany or if you live in the U.S and sometime need to travel to Singapore.

By any chance anyone know the price roughly for HMC151 at this point of time in Singapore?

thanks azman

I thought the ATT is an external switch ? how do you set it for your internal on-board mic ?
you modified it ?

gneseew, there is a ATT switch on the Canon A1/G1. On professional cameras, there are preamp overload functions to prevent clipping from high SPL.

PAD:
Jaegersing is talking about using an external way to reduce the level of the mic into the preamp. A layman example is u r trying to record a powered/hot output from a mixer into a recorder. You cant change the recorder as it was designed to handle line input. So the only way is to attenuate the level before it goes into the preamp.

The PAD, will "eat up" the high power before it goes into the preamp to prevent overloading.

If the hot signal goes into the preamp directly, the preamp will further amplify the signal, causing clipping (u will see the waveform hit the roof). This will turn out as distortion to our ears.

In the real world you will have to select a PAD with appropriate attenutation. -20db, -10db? I'm also not sure if there are selectable options to handle this. Easiest way is to change a less sensitive mic that can match the audio inout of the HMC152 lor. Hope this helps!

Hi Guys,

I just found out that Sensys Singapore is selling the new batch of HMC152 for S$4900/- (before GST). Freebies include 2 pieces of Panasonic 16 GB SDHC card and a large capacity battery.

It also comes with Edius Neo 2 video editing software for PC.

Cheerio !!
Azman

ooh.. similar price to FX1000. Tough fight..

Hi guys...

Since 151 is switchable between 25p and 30p (and I read being able to do native 24p?), isn't getting the 151 better?
Or is the 152 considered the 'official' set to be sold locally?

I'm really keen in getting this camera...
Maybe other keen buyers can gather and we'll see whether we can get a better price if purchase a few sets at once?

Hi Roy,

I think you can get the HMC151 locally as well but I think the price will be considerably higher than that of HMC152.

I know that SENSYS Singapore sold the HMC151 because when I bought my HMC152 last November, I saw a box containing an HMC151 being prepared for collection.

Another shop that sells the HMC152 is HAI CHEW. It's at Sim Lim I think. I know a CSer who bought one there recently. Not sure if they sell the HMC151 though.

Hi guys...

Since 151 is switchable between 25p and 30p (and I read being able to do native 24p?), isn't getting the 151 better?
Or is the 152 considered the 'official' set to be sold locally?

I'm really keen in getting this camera...
Maybe other keen buyers can gather and we'll see whether we can get a better price if purchase a few sets at once?

Hi Roy,

I think you can get the HMC151 locally as well but I think the price will be considerably higher than that of HMC152.

I know that SENSYS Singapore sold the HMC151 because when I bought my HMC152 last November, I saw a box containing an HMC151 being prepared for collection.

Another shop that sells the HMC152 is HAI CHEW. It's at Sim Lim I think. I know a CSer who bought one there recently. Not sure if they sell the HMC151 though.

Hi azman,
Yup, I've got a list of local distributors for the camera...
Thanks for posting selling price of Sensys, that'll be a good reference when I go around asking from other distributors...
Sensys is kinda inconveniently located, so I'll most probably ask the price from Hai Chew (Sim Lim Square) or AV8 Media (101 Plaza)...

broadcast asia just round the corner...why not wait till then to see if any of the manufacturers got anything interesting or exciting to show?

I was at Hai Chew a while ago and the price quoted for the HMC152 was SGD 4800.00 (excl. GST) with NO FREE GIFT...

Also, they do not have HMC150 nor HMC151...

I think with a bit of haggling and genuine intention to a purchase you may get some free gifts and a few dollars cheaper. :)

Think its better not to fall for free gifts such as SD cards cos these cards will get cheaper by the months to come.
But a protective bag should come in handy.

BTW which Hai Chew did you go to? There is one in Sim Lim Tower and there's another in Sim Lim Square.
The latter is most likely tagging a higher price due to the targeted tourist and higher rent space.

In any case, as long as the price is lower than what's offered in the U.S or Europe than I think it's a good toy to buy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.