Any Compact system camera peeps faced this problem before?

Halfgeek

Nov 22, 2011
People using DSLR telling you how worthless CSC is... DSLR is much better.... try to put you down by saying how CSC picture will also be behind DSLR etc

There are plently of people around me, cousins, friends... and people who are interested to go into photography but are looking at nothing but DSLR always saying this to me.
When try to explain they brush it off and say something like it will also lose to DSLR.

As a CSC lover and a owner of a nex5n i cant help but feel abit dulan.... ;( :(

its always been this way. people always think that with a DSLR, all their pictures come out nice.

there's once smone told me and said "your DSLR no good, why your picture blur de.." and that was went I took photo without using a tripod at low light condition.

I've seen people here who uses just a normal Point& Shoot camera to capture breathtaking images..

Its true that good camera is always better, but other think to note too.. the person behind it must be good too..

So just play dumb with whatever critics they have to say...
:)

If your very own "window to your heart" can't recognize "beautiful", then no camera and lens combination in the world will make any difference to it.

I encounter people like that a lot. I usually tell them that the difference between a photographer and a "gearhead who will never be a photographer" is that the photographer judges by the pictures, the gearhead by the camera.

Rashkae said:
I encounter people like that a lot. I usually tell them that the difference between a photographer and a "gearhead who will never be a photographer" is that the photographer judges by the pictures, the gearhead by the camera.

true enough. damn true.

need not say a compact, I used to shoot using a SLR camera, and lots of people look down on me just because im using films "Wah WHO SHOOTS WITH FILMS NOWADAYS"

anyway, out of 100%, I believe 80% or more come from the creativity of the individuals wherelse the remaining come from the tool that helped you, that is your camera.

it all boils down to personal preference of gear. like many have said that the NEX-7 will be a waste of money for me.

but for me, just looking at the controls, the navigation of the menu and the availability of lenses both native and via mount adaptors is what i'm looking for.

it'll be something that can assist me better than most other CSC out there.

the gear helps me achieve what i want to do.

how the picture turns out is up to me to decide.

food for thought.

yes of course DSLR is much better. problem is i mostly end up leaving my DSLR at home (due to its size and weight) and shooting with my P&S instead, even when i travel overseas.
hence my best photographs were usually taken by compact cameras.

:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Photographic memory ;) Composition, angle, subject and the lighting to create the mood is what I go for. My P&S can do that too, when it can't do that I will change my idea to suite what it can do with very good and surprising results. It makes me think of of the box and try new technics. Ultimately Its still the man behind the camera who makes the photo.

haha well said! Thats what im trying to explain... guess they are too keep up with gears and not photography at all... as what some bros here said... gearheads. I will learn more and hopefully one day can produce better pictures to prove them that CSC is not something that is "weak" or whatever they say....

Show them your pictures to make them shut up. :bsmilie:

I know 1 person hor selling DSLR very cheap to me. I ask him why, he say shots all blurry. Then with same camera, I buy for my friend then tutor, I ask her shoot aperature dim environment, shots came out blurry. I tell her to meter, bla bla go on manual mode then make guess around 1/30 or 1/60 etc, the shots came out just nicely. People thinks P&S is good because they're.. well just point and shoot, dummy proof, shots always turn out nice (mediocre to the seasoned shooter, at least).

Last edited:
Very true.

Still can remember how some of my 'buddies' always like to say that my prosumer superzoom bridge camera 'is a big as a DSLR but cannot change lenses, how EVF is lousier than OVF, ahd have a puny 1/2.33" sensor and cannot have bokeh, and pictures will be noisy because sensor is always active and blah blah..."

and yet after we go out for leisure shoots and compare shots, quite a decent number of my pictures always seem to be more desirable than those taken by those aforementioned 'buddies' with their huge-sensor DSLRs, even AFTER taking into account the lack of control over DoF.

And anyway, my belief is that it is always more rewarding to work around a limitation than to splurge on new gear. So my superzoom cannot change lenses; but who needs to change lenses when you got a 35mm effective range of 24-720mm? So i got a puny sensor that is slower than a DSLR in capturing light and has no control over DoF; that's where burst mode and post-processing tools come in.

In the end, it's the end results that matter. No one is going to go all 'wah-these-pictures-look-like-****-but-they-are-taken-by-a-full-frame-DSLR-so-they-must-be-awesome'.

DSLR is better only if one knows how to utilise its potential. Not just compacts, even among DSLR users, when I go for casual bird shooting with cheapo 500D, cheapo Fancier tripod and cheap vintage lens I will feel awakard when others around me are like using D3 or 1D series, Gitzo tripods, lenses that cost $10k and above.

But end of the day I just tell myself to improve my skills first using 'cheapo' gear, that is more valuable than having expensive gears making your job easier.

Who knows, if you ask "those" people to shoot using PnS they might produce worse results than you. Just that sometimes better gear do help to cover up certain weaknesses in one's skills. E.g. Bird shooting using auto focus vs everything manual .... to me after practicing all manual and switch back to autofocus, I feel autofocus like "god sent" because my manual focusing and exposure skills are not good yet in "auto" mode the camera actually help me to deal with these by a huge amount and I just need to focus on framing and pressing the shutter button.

Last edited:
Friend borrow my DSLR to test feel and shoot, (in front of me only), return to me 2 min later say my camera lousy cos shots all blurred. Why? I set mode nicely, they switch to Auto, cannot hold properly, slower shutter speed due to low light, and say my camera lousy :bsmilie:

"If you dont use/own a DSLR, you'll never be serious in photography"

Heard this many times -.-

redstone said:
Friend borrow my DSLR to test feel and shoot, (in front of me only), return to me 2 min later say my camera lousy cos shots all blurred. Why? I set mode nicely, they switch to Auto, cannot hold properly, slower shutter speed due to low light, and say my camera lousy :bsmilie:

ahahhahahaha
I got that alot.
"Can I borrow your camera.." they asked
Come back saying.. " Your megapixel how many? Why all blur?"

LOLx.

Wah your friend typical no-skill-but-blame-on-equipment kind of people. Not only camera, in computer gaming also a lot, no
Skill blame mouse, blame Internet connection slow, blame just whatever but never themselves.... =/

if you know what photography is about,
if you have better knowledge then them,
if you know your tools well,

why be bother about what other people says?

why waste your effort on this?

just smile and channel your energy to make more photos with your camera.

If the people around you are that kind of people that always "look down" on stuff, saying negative things and etc. i suggest you stay away from them.