Any books on Pentax k100d/Super to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pscion12

Jan 28, 2004
Hi All,

Recently I just got a Pentax k100d super from my bro (nuthin' beats free stuff - heheheh). Moving from film I understand the basics and the advanced feature of the camera. What i want to learn is, how do I maximise the output from this camera? By that i mean the noise, the colour, tone, etc? Is there any books/website that I can refer too? Currently I'm using Lightroom to process and I can see that it can save profiles for different cameras. I've basically googled and found mostly books on Nikon and canon. Any recommendation guys?

I have the book fengwei recommended, it's kind of like an expanded instruction manual, not sure if it's what you're looking for. You can probably browse the Magic Lantern guides for other cameras in the bookshops to see what kind of content they cover. Pscion12, if you want, I can pass it to you, I don't use it anymore.

I dont' think Lightroom has come up with camera profiles for brands other than Nikon and Canon. I'm also trying it out, and I don't quite like the colours I'm getting out of it using the Adobe Standard Beta profile. You can adjust using the camera calibration tool to create your own profile, but I don't quite know how to get it right. If anyone has a profile that matches closely to the colours produced by Pentax Photolab/Silkypix, can share?

Kekekeke thanks...... though I've been a pentaxian all my life - My dad used a Pentax KM and that was passed on to me (a love affair that has endured thus far)..... its only recently that I started on digital (progressively).

The only problem so far (other than the typical retarded Pentax AF) that I have with the k100d super is balancing the shadow details and the highlights. I'be been using the Lightroom digital filters to pull in some of the details but on some photos the shadows is just simply distracting. I have used the nd grad filters to narrow the difference for the highlights and shadow areas but I can't get a satisfactory result. I figure that I need to know about the cam and its handling more.

I'll try your book recommendation, hopefully riceball has that in stock.

Hi Gengh, thanks for the offer - that would be cool bro. Is there a real difference with what is produced by Silkypix and Lightroom? Since I don't have the original cd that comes along with Pentax, I can't compare.

Regarding the Lightroom vs PPL/Silkypix thing, if I have some time tonight I'll put up a couple of examples. I was thinking of starting a thread on this issue myself, but if you don't mind (since it's been brought up here) I'll just piggyback on yours. I hope to get some help on this too!

Not a prob. Isn't that what a forum does anyway? Exchange of ideas and knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.