Anticipation

Variodical

Mar 15, 2008
Singapore
img8548b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition, angle,choice of settings,choice of subjects, how it can be improved (PP/ others. etc)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Potray the moment of anticipation as the people wait for the staff to prepare the delectable food for them.
Show how the local dishes are still popular with the masses (in China).
I have chosen to take the people (of different ages) crowding round the person who serves the food, to show how popular the food is that people have to jostle with each other to wait for their share.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I took the photo from outside the shop(in Suzhou), in the late morning.
I felt surprised by how the shop manages to be popular despite its unattractive appearance and its location in a very crowded shopping street.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
The composition of the subject is nice and tight.
I think it could be better in these areas:
-Brighter faces of the people (faster shutter speed?),
-actually showing the action of the person scooping the food into the bowl, instead of him just putting the ladle in the pot
I need to pay more attention to the exposure and lighting of the image.

Some data:

Camera: Canon 40D
Lens: EF 50mm F1.8 II
Mode: Aperture Priority
Shutter Speed: 1/250s
Aperture: F2.8
ISO: 200

Would appreciate honest critique on my pic. Thanks

nice moment. Would like to know what food they are waiting for, so maybe capture the person scooping food into the bowl will tell the answer? And i also feel that the faces behind are too dark, just brighter abit n show some faces will b nice.
Im not a pro but im just saying out my feeling towards your pic.

It looks like a nice picture in my opinion.

1. I like the darkened people in the background; they add to the picture without detracting from the main subjects
2. I like the main subjects, mainly the cook and especially the bowls, in the light, and the two persons holding the tray as per your title
3. I like the mystery of not really knowing what is coming, yet you know it's coming (based on the many people waiting around and obviousness of the cook cooking something)... but actually it might be Suzhou Meat Ball (to the right of bowl stack).