Anti-WTO Demostration in HK

Status
Not open for further replies.

taymw

Nov 21, 2004
J.W, Singapore
I guess I was kinda 'fortunate' to experience a demostration when I was in HK. Wasn't there when the 'war' started as we left slightly a few hours before everything began. It was from the news that I got to know how bad it was.

Outside 'United Colors of Benetton'

No Samsung, no Nescafe

The banner group

A group from Korea - taken opposite the street of the hostel I stayed

At Victoria Park

taymw

Nov 21, 2004
J.W, Singapore
More...

HK Police patrolling

Korean Farmers

'Release our people'

Silent protest

Make poverty history

oeyvind

Feb 25, 2002
www.oeyvind.org
looks very very underexposed... intentional or wrong gamma?

dslang

Jul 14, 2005
yeah i agree. they're very very flat

taymw

Nov 21, 2004
J.W, Singapore
sorry guys but i'm still quite new to photography. so i'll like to ask how do i know whether the pics are underexposed or what? as in... coz i'm using my laptop to review & edit the pics. how do i know what is the optimum brightness/contrast, etc. that i need to set for my laptop monitor so that i can see it correctly? i always have this problem. can anyone help me out? thanks.

LittleWolf

Jan 23, 2005
Singapore
taymw said:
sorry guys but i'm still quite new to photography. so i'll like to ask how do i know whether the pics are underexposed or what?
Technically, one can tell by looking at the histogram and see how well the available dynamic range is exploited. But I don't think the pictures are underexposed. Rather, the histograms look quite strange, as if you adjusted the characteristic curves, resulting in posterization.

how do i know what is the optimum brightness/contrast, etc. that i need to set for my laptop monitor so that i can see it correctly?
A first step would be comparing the laptop display with a known good (e.g. calibrated) monitor. Or make a colour/grayscale chart and get it printed on a calibrated machine for comparison.

Technicalities aside, I like the pictures. Also makes an interesting comparison of freedom of assembly in a supposedly communist country, compared to some other countries ...

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
a good number of possibly good shots didn't get the faces of the people; that loses the personal connection with the viewer.

n0d3

Feb 3, 2003
How did you do the conversion to B/W? I presumed they were taken in colour? You need to work on the conversion, go Google and look up some articles.

khairi

Apr 6, 2004
yishun
inbloomblog.multiply.com
sehsuan said:
a good number of possibly good shots didn't get the faces of the people; that loses the personal connection with the viewer.
i agree ... just lack the into your face thingy, no connection

Status
Not open for further replies.