Anti-WTO Demostration in HK

Status
Not open for further replies.

taymw

Nov 21, 2004
J.W, Singapore
I guess I was kinda 'fortunate' to experience a demostration when I was in HK. Wasn't there when the 'war' started as we left slightly a few hours before everything began. It was from the news that I got to know how bad it was.

wto1.jpg

Outside 'United Colors of Benetton'

wto2.jpg

No Samsung, no Nescafe

wto3.jpg

The banner group

wto4.jpg

A group from Korea - taken opposite the street of the hostel I stayed

wto5.jpg

At Victoria Park

More...

wto6.jpg

HK Police patrolling

wto7.jpg

Korean Farmers

wto8.jpg

'Release our people'

wto9.jpg

Silent protest

wto10.jpg

Make poverty history

looks very very underexposed... intentional or wrong gamma?

yeah i agree. they're very very flat

sorry guys but i'm still quite new to photography. so i'll like to ask how do i know whether the pics are underexposed or what? as in... coz i'm using my laptop to review & edit the pics. how do i know what is the optimum brightness/contrast, etc. that i need to set for my laptop monitor so that i can see it correctly? i always have this problem. can anyone help me out? thanks.

taymw said:
sorry guys but i'm still quite new to photography. so i'll like to ask how do i know whether the pics are underexposed or what?

Technically, one can tell by looking at the histogram and see how well the available dynamic range is exploited. But I don't think the pictures are underexposed. Rather, the histograms look quite strange, as if you adjusted the characteristic curves, resulting in posterization.

how do i know what is the optimum brightness/contrast, etc. that i need to set for my laptop monitor so that i can see it correctly?

A first step would be comparing the laptop display with a known good (e.g. calibrated) monitor. Or make a colour/grayscale chart and get it printed on a calibrated machine for comparison.

Technicalities aside, I like the pictures. Also makes an interesting comparison of freedom of assembly in a supposedly communist country, compared to some other countries ...

a good number of possibly good shots didn't get the faces of the people; that loses the personal connection with the viewer.

How did you do the conversion to B/W? I presumed they were taken in colour? You need to work on the conversion, go Google and look up some articles.

sehsuan said:
a good number of possibly good shots didn't get the faces of the people; that loses the personal connection with the viewer.
i agree ... just lack the into your face thingy, no connection

Status
Not open for further replies.