"Ang Mo" Shopping experience in Sinagpore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Non-Expat

Deregistered
Jul 17, 2008
Hey,

I am new to this forum but not new to Singapore, though, and want I to share my experience of buying a DSLR from a foreigner’s point of view. Btw, I am not an expat.

I recently bought a Canon 400d plus lens kit II. I first checked out prices at lucky plaza, very well knowing that this mall is occupying top ranks when it comes to places that are known for cheating customers. I only know one reliable place their, but even there I only buy items up to 50 bucks worth.

Initially I wanted to settle for the 450d plus Kit lens 1 and found a place at Lucky Plaza willing to sell it at 1150 (it appeared too good to be true). I asked if any warranty and GST would be included and got the straight answer: YES! I asked in return why other shops at LP would charge at least 1300 and received the answer that those other shops would mark up higher margins but this shop would be satisfied with only 10 % profit. Hey, I believe, he thought that he was dealing with some stupid Ang Mo tourist or so. No offence, but if a Chinese business man tells me he does not want to make so much profit, I better put my credit card back and go off.
Well, I wanted to test his offer two days later and returned to the same shop. Not surprisingly he could neither remember myself nor his quotation. Never mind, I had my lesson learned as regards LP much longer before this incident thus I just put it as yet another funny experience at LP.

Thereafter I drew my attention onto Sim Lim. It should be noted that I know how this place works and that white people are walking on row eggs in this place with a "please cheat me" tag written on their foreheads, especially when it comes to photo shops on 1st and 2nd level.

That in mind I asked local frens to accompany me on the hunt for a good bargain. We walked several shops from 1st to 6th level and got different answers and offers everywhere. We even tested certain quotations whereby my fren asked first and thereafter I stepped into the shop with the same inquiry. It can clearly be stated, that white skin sells more expensive, and moreover I never got the accessories he was offered. That can be very frustrating and disappointing in times, even when one already knows the game.

However, finally we got to a shop willing to sell the 450d lens kit 1 for 1250 inclusive of gst and a warranty. It looked good although no one else wanted to settle for that price. When it came to review the contents of the box, it appeared to miss the lens. The guy behind the counter acted surprised and offered to get it elsewhere. At this moment my stomach entered into the discussion and nudged me to leave this place as soon as I could. So I did after the guy had told me that surprisingly the lens was not available but would be on the following Tuesday. I agreed to come down again and went off.

So much for SLS.

As the day was already spoilt I gave Photo Pacific a try on recommendation of my friend and went off to meet Simon. My friend had called him in advance announcing my arrival for that afternoon.

As I had done lots of internet research and comparison, I finally settled at Photo Pacific for a Canon 400D plus Lens Kit 2 (17 to 85 IS USM) plus extra battery, 2 GB Sandisk Ultra 2 CF, Canon Lens Book 3 and Tokina UV Filter for 1300 flat. As I do not need LiveView (which is essentially the main difference between the two bodies) I chose the far superior Lens kit 2 over the standard kit 1 lens together with the highly acclaimed 400d body.

So far I am very happy with it.

A Canon lens hood and a Germany made polarized filter I got a Funan (and yes, this place is dangerous two), after I had checked the going market rates.

After all, I somehow knew what I had to go through to get a good deal. When I first came to Singapore I had to learn this lesson very quickly. I was, to be honest, used to straight deals and the entire absence of the bargaining concept. In Europe, there are almost no places you are offered items without GST/VAT and without Warranty. Furthermore, in Europe the customers enjoy statuary rights on top of warranties offered by either the shop or the manufacturer, or both in same cases. And, to foreclose your question, no, prices are not higher because of certain customer rights. In deed, IT and photo is nowadays considerably cheaper in Europe than in South East Asia, in particular as there are very developed internet shopping facilities available.
You are facing lots of offers as competition is quite high (which is good for the customer to some extend) and you are free to pick one and in the end you pay the cheapest price for the same item irregardless of your skin color or place of origin. Tourists do not have to be afraid as much as in whole South East Asia of getting cheated if they buy in any regular shops (unless you buy on a market in certain places, mostly southern Europe).

In Singapore customers do not enjoy any form of protection or rights. Cheating is a potential danger customers are facing everywhere anytime, even in places like Best Denki or Harvey Norman (I once got cheated as Best Denki at Nee Ang (!!!), but got a full refund).

So, why is that so? Well, as far as I can tell, most Singaporeans do not voice out loudly but prefer to suffer in silence. I have realized that most shop owners do not expect their customers to complain much and if than in a very quite and calm manner, if at all. This has led, as I see it, to the “shopping culture” as we face it in Singapore today. As I am from Europe, I am used to voice out (sometimes even loudly) and claim to get what I have paid for. Many Singapore shop-owners are usually unexpectedly hit by it thus I can draw a certain advantage from it which results in me usually getting what I feel I deserve. In around 3 years time I have only seen one Chinese woman loudly complaining to a salesman about bad quality and even worse service. Up to date it remains a single incident that I have witnessed so far.

My advice: you guys need to stop acting like sheep, which in times pisses me off as it perfectly facilitates the mindset of all shop owners in this country. I do not ask you to scream and shout (although it helps me in times) but to persistently demand what you deserve and to not allow theses people to get away with your money. I understand that it is some kind of art to complain without getting steamed up. In anyway, it needs practice and Singapore shopping offers quite a number of opportunities to exercise, if you know what I mean.

Cheers.:)

I think we do not act like sheep, we just avoid Lucky Plaza and Sim Lim Square, and let the tourists have some fun there.

Non-Expat, I fully agree with you! I was in the same situation for several times and it's really frustrating to deal with these sickos in the shops in SLS, Funan or the Cheating Belt (Orchard Rd). Luckily and thanks to this forum now I have found a reputable source for my gear. It might not always be the cheapest price in town but the whole attitude of ALL clerks in the shop is worth the few bucks more.
Sometimes I hear Asian people (not only in SG) complaining that the vocal way of Western people is rude, respectless and impolite. I do agree as I could witness the behavior of a number of them. But is it polite and respectful to cheat locals and rip off foreigners as described here? And we all know it's not a single exceptional case - it's the standard.

hmm.. u just register to post this? :think:

as in anywhere in the world, caveat emptor - u don't do ur homework beforehand, please dun blame others. there are more than enough information out there about where are the best place(s) to buy and where to avoid in singapore. think astin has just summed dat up nicely...

SG or countries in the west...what's the difference?

http://www.medfmt.8k.com/mf/gcwol.html

Like it was said above...we are no sheep...but neither is it in most of our blood to go shouting loudly in a shop that we knew we shouldnt have patronised in the first instance.

What's your point anyway?

No offence, but if a Chinese business man tells me he does not want to make so much profit, I better put my credit card back and go off.

Strange that ppl always say 'No offense', and immediately following it with some offensive remarks. Now you are insulting a whole race here, putting 'No Offense' in front of it doesn't make it any less offensive. To be fair, most businessmen will want to maximized they profit, Chinese or not.

To shop for photography gear in Singapore, you don't have to go around 'hunt for a good bargain' or 'test the offer two days later and returned to the same shop'. Just keep Alan Photo, Cathay, and MS Color's number in your phone. Call all three shops to get the quotes with GST, the lowest of them all should be near if not the lowest in Singapore(of course except grey set and special MO item). In the phone conversation get down the sale guy's name, go to the shop, buy it. Just remember when in the shop do not buy other additional items unless you are sure it's of a reasonable price.

Pretty painless way of buying photography gear here, save you lots of time and effort walking around comparing price(unless you enjoy doing that).

As a westerner who has lived in Singapore for 9 years, camera equipment is still quite a bit more expensive than Singapore even if, as a non-resident, you don't have to pay the full tax there. I travel to Europe ready and it would greatly surprise me if you can find normal, over-the-counter shop prices for cameras or lenses that are cheaper than south-east Asia.

ppl here want to cheat ang mo cos they think ang mo got money and things in ang mo country are more ex thus even if they increase price its still cheaper than in ang mo country.

they think all ang mo are rich, but ang mo country also got poor people.

sheep? what sheep? if stall one sell mee bok at $2.50 and stall 2 Sell at $3.00, then eat at stall 1. if you think stall 2 nicer and better service, then eat at stall 2. if you think both not nice, then eat pasta in food court, may cos 5-6 dollars but at least you are happy.

even at those reputable shops mentioned in clubsnap, not everything is going to be cheap. some may be more ex but at least peace of mind won be alot more ex.

money in your wallet, not happy don buy, nobody can force you.

Thank you for sharing your photographic shopping experience, if that is your intention. :thumbsup:

Yes, it was my intention to share my shopping experience in Singapore, and I have deliberately chosen my camera deal at it perfectly illustrates what you have to expect as a Caucasian. It is not my sole experience though, but the most recent.

I do not have to take back anything written above, in fact I could have chosen stronger words to picture the facts prevailing here in Singapore, with its Chinese majority. I could in fact say, there are no rules, no conscience, no decency, no moral standards, and especially the Chinese would sell off their grandma for a quick buck. Three years of Singapore have taught me that lesson, but I do not say such things, even if its true. Well, nevermind.

I did not expect the locals to agree, even thought they should know better.

However, I have only local frens, Chinese, Malay and Indian, they all agree with me anyway. They all face the same problems, however, I am the only one who has to take a 10 to 25 % white skin surcharge into account. One could say, that is some form of racism. But again, nevermind.

I have realized that speaking Singlish can make life a little easier even though one should try to adopt proper English. Nevertheless, it feels strange in times if I have to deal with that kind of issue every time I want to buy something exceeding 50 bucks. I makes me feel as if I am not welcomed.

To Astin, Nightwolf75, blight, Surge, osocan I would like to reply: You are undoubtedly local and you are missing the point, I even doubt that you have fully read my thread, let alone understood its contents, but, again, nevermind. You do not seem to be interested in other people's views anyway.

Cheers.

*BURPS*

I could in fact say, there are no rules, no conscience, no decency, no moral standards, and especially the Chinese would sell off their grandma for a quick buck. Three years of Singapore have taught me that lesson, but I do not say such things, even if its true. Well, nevermind.

Yes, so kind of you not to say such a racist thing. Oh, wait, you did, didn't you?

This is the second camera store advocacy thread I've read here these couple of days, posted by someone with a brand new account. If I am the suspicious kind, I'd smell a rat. But of course, I am the trusting kind, even if I would sell my own grandmother for a quick buck.

BTW you must have lived in Singapore for some time. I noticed that your English has significant local influence.

Yes, it was my intention to share my shopping experience in Singapore, and I have deliberately chosen my camera deal at it perfectly illustrates what you have to expect as a Caucasian. It is not my sole experience though, but the most recent.

I do not have to take back anything written above, in fact I could have chosen stronger words to picture the facts prevailing here in Singapore, with its Chinese majority. I could in fact say, there are no rules, no conscience, no decency, no moral standards, and especially the Chinese would sell off their grandma for a quick buck. Three years of Singapore have taught me that lesson, but I do not say such things, even if its true. Well, nevermind.

I did not expect the locals to agree, even thought they should know better.

However, I have only local frens, Chinese, Malay and Indian, they all agree with me anyway. They all face the same problems, however, I am the only one who has to take a 10 to 25 % white skin surcharge into account. One could say, that is some form of racism. But again, nevermind.

I have realized that speaking Singlish can make life a little easier even though one should try to adopt proper English. Nevertheless, it feels strange in times if I have to deal with that kind of issue every time I want to buy something exceeding 50 bucks. I makes me feel as if I am not welcomed.

To Astin, Nightwolf75, blight, Surge, osocan I would like to reply: You are undoubtedly local and you are missing the point, I even doubt that you have fully read my thread, let alone understood its contents, but, again, nevermind. You do not seem to be interested in other people's views anyway.

Cheers.

u are entitled to your views abt the uniquely singaporean shopping experience. it is you, however, that have missed everyone's point - caveat emptor.

racist comments (which i've highlighted above) are something CS will never ever tolerate. you have been de-registered for the above comments about the Chinese in singapore.

thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.