Amount of Flash memory to carry on a holiday trip

How much CF/SD memory do you carry for a 10 days holiday?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinlg

Jun 21, 2004
I'm just want to do a poll, to see how much memory do most people carry for a holiday trip. With the assumption that you do not have access to a computer or other devices to download your photos. And also assuming the holiday trip is about 10 days.

I went for China's Silk Road trip for 10 day, I brought 2 x 1GByte SD card with me, but not enough as I shoot a lot (discard a lot later also), luckily I manage to find a photo developing shop to download and burn them into CD. Altogether I shot 1200+ photos, which is about 3 Gbytes.

Now I just got a external hard disk, just in case I am short of Flash memory again.

zcf said:
I went for China's Silk Road trip for 10 day, I brought 2 x 1GByte SD card with me, but not enough as I shoot a lot (discard a lot later also), luckily I manage to find a photo developing shop to download and burn them into CD. Altogether I shot 1200+ photos, which is about 3 Gbytes.

Now I just got a external hard disk, just in case I am short of Flash memory again.

ok.. So you are saying you'd shoot more than 3gb of photos over a 10 days period. so about 150 photos a day on the average. Hmm.. I dont trust portable hardisks... and if it crash.. all photos gone (assuming you'd download on a daily basis). Not to mention have to slug along batteries and chargers etc

going to a shop and burning onto a CD sounds like a good idea. Assuming the service is available whereever you go, and the service costs is reasonable.

In China, the service was quite cheap, I think about $3 per CD.

It also depend on where you go and the style you shoot. I actually deleted quite a lot of photo earlier due to space constraint, I may have retain it if I know I can download it earlier.

Some of the image quality was set to low due to limited storage space also.

Indeed it depend on luck, hope my external harddisk won't be so "suay" :sweat:

At least I won't need to worry about storage space and just shoot as much as I want to :)

i dont like the idea of portable hdd :

1. they are not reliable - especially with age.
2. they may not with stand scanning from custom equipment.
3. single point of failure

CDs or DVDs are best....

Hmm.. perhaps should carry a tiny tablet PC with DVD writing capabilities...

i only have 2 cards, a 1GB and a 2GB. so, just in case one fails, there's always another. so, 3 GB for me

The more the better. At least 4 GB.
Shoot first, select later when have time.

lightchaser said:
The more the better. At least 4 GB.
Shoot first, select later when have time.

of course the more the merrier. But most people have a budget ;)
Also, if take too much rubbish, later have to waste time filtering or throwing stuffs away
4GB would mean almost 1600 photos (5mp) over 10 days. 160 photos a day or 16 photos per hour (assuming a 10 hrs photoshooting day)

it all depends on teh individual style of shooting. There is no one pill cure all situation.

jbma said:
it all depends on teh individual style of shooting. There is no one pill cure all situation.

yes.. so i want to find the optimal way of shooting pictures, and the optimal memory storage to carry ;). Ultimately, it's a compromise, but with best practices, and optimal amount of memory, we can make every holiday a memorable one! ;)

sinlg said:
of course the more the merrier. But most people have a budget ;)
Also, if take too much rubbish, later have to waste time filtering or throwing stuffs away
4GB would mean almost 1600 photos (5mp) over 10 days. 160 photos a day or 16 photos per hour (assuming a 10 hrs photoshooting day)
I don't know about you, I would rather waste time on filtering more photos than miss some nice shots, of course definitely to a certain extend.
I don't have a budget for expensive small notebook nor tablet pc, so I can only afford external storage only.

sinlg said:
yes.. so i want to find the optimal way of shooting pictures, and the optimal memory storage to carry ;). Ultimately, it's a compromise, but with best practices, and optimal amount of memory, we can make every holiday a memorable one! ;)
In that case I suggest you buy and external storage device and just bring a 1 GB CF card.

for holiday, I will enjoy more than photo taking and 1GB is more than enough.

Due to the digital storage, more photographers are becomingly trigger-happy. Shoot first, deleted later. When I'm overseas, I always see tourists taking pictures and more pictures whenever they reached a destination. No matter how much storage one bring, it won't be enough. Also, there's a tendency to end up "seeing" a place through a LCD screen or viewfinder. Being selective in the shooting do not mean missing out a "golden" moment.

I usually bring along 4 x 512mb cards for a week long trip.
Total 2 Gb is enough so far.

I'll bring all my cards..

On the contrary, the larger(not microdrives) HDDs are very shock resistant, and can sustain a few hundred Gs. Unless really butter fingers, got nothing to say liao... With proper casing, & leaving it in your hotel room, nothing will go wrong... However there's always Murphy & his laws; Anything can happen... even with CDRs.

Yeah, Huggable took nearly 4GB of pictures + video during the last UK trip, which lasted about 2 weeks. Had only a 1GB SD card, and a laptop. So had to transfer the pictures to the laptop HDD and burn to CDR as well.

AReality said:
I'll bring all my cards..

huggable said:
Yeah, Huggable took nearly 4GB of pictures + video during the last UK trip, which lasted about 2 weeks. Had only a 1GB SD card, and a laptop. So had to transfer the pictures to the laptop HDD and burn to CDR as well.
I took over 20GB when i went europe for 1 mth.
& that's considered little aleady. it comes out to only about 150 pics per day.

I am more of the kiasu type...... I prefer to take more small capacity CF cards and spread my data over them compared to using larger capacity cards.... I think its just me... I am always afraid of pickpockets or equipment failure... thats why I presume its better to lose 30 pics in 1 card than to lose 150 pics.... in 1 card... Also, I factor in equipment failure... etc... :think:

I am lousy, even if I take many photos, also lousy.

1 lousy photos compared to 10 lousy photos . 1 lousy photos got less criticism compared to 10x the criticism for 10 lousy photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.