Alternative lens for EOS other than Leica and Zeiss

I think there are only a handful of lenses which can match that of the new 14-24.. but to use it on EOS means a pricy adapter... not sure if its worth the trouble

which are the lenses u think will match the 14-24?

I thought u r eyeing the CZ 21? UWA is quite fun with its wide perspective. I just want one to complement my 24-85 travel lens , so not going to spend a bomb. The Sigma 12-24 is a little too large for my liking to carry as a secondary lens.

Aiya...just got myself a Nikkor 20/2.8. Anyway, will try it out first. It is only 200+ g in weight which is what I am looking for. Maybe should have just gotten the Voigt Ultron.

I sold the Nikkor 20f2.8 as it has something sticking out and must be removed otherwise will interfere with mirror. It's not bad for cropped but on ff, corners will be really soft, also color and contrast average.

Yes I will invest on a Distagon 21 for sure but not any wider. When I do that I will sell one of my 28s. Waiting for you to receive your N 24-85. I tried it on a 5d2 and it was awesome. Unfortunately the pair belonged to someone whom I bought a Zeiss lens from. Go for the Distagon 21, and you can stop searching and spend more time shooting.

I sold the Nikkor 20f2.8 as it has something sticking out and must be removed otherwise will interfere with mirror. It's not bad for cropped but on ff, corners will be really soft, also color and contrast average.

Yes I will invest on a Distagon 21 for sure but not any wider. When I do that I will sell one of my 28s. Waiting for you to receive your N 24-85. I tried it on a 5d2 and it was awesome. Unfortunately the pair belonged to someone whom I bought a Zeiss lens from. Go for the Distagon 21, and you can stop searching and spend more time shooting.

My 24-85 will only come 2nd half of this year. Conurus is upgrading the AF circuit. Hope I get the one with the faster AF. I am tempted to get the copy off his stock now but you are right, I should stop searching and just go for tried and proven lenses and spend more time shooting real photos and not test shots :) It seems like I may end up with more Contax CY lenses. The Zess ZE is close to 3k...can't bear to part with my cash....and CY 21 cannot clear mirror...sighz. I am seriously considering shaving the mirror to be able to use the L/R and CZ UWA.

Last edited:
My 24-85 will only come 2nd half of this year. Conurus is upgrading the AF circuit. Hope I get the one with the faster AF. I am tempted to get the copy off his stock now but you are right, I should stop searching and just go for tried and proven lenses and spend more time shooting real photos and not test shots :) It seems like I may end up with more Contax CY lenses. The Zess ZE is close to 3k...can't bear to part with my cash....and CY 21 cannot clear mirror...sighz. I am seriously considering shaving the mirror to be able to use the L/R and CZ UWA.

Looking at your signature, you have a CZ CY 50f1.7. When did you get this one?

Actually, you have all the focal length covered. If I have the N 24-85, I don't need any other lens except maybe a good 135.

Looking at your signature, you have a CZ CY 50f1.7. When did you get this one?

Actually, you have all the focal length covered. If I have the N 24-85, I don't need any other lens except maybe a good 135.

Just got it off evilBay but yet to receive it . It has a high serial #8xxxxxx. Yesterday an Olympus OM 50 f1.8 in box with the criteria you stated went for around US$80+... I skipped it since I got the 50 f1.7. Now hoping that the CY50 will clear my 5D mirror. If it is really that impressive, I might just sell of my Sigma. Small, light usable are my criterias.

I don't need so many lens really. As mentioned I am just trying out the different drawing style and evaluating the FL that is more useful for me. So far the LR 35/2 and CY 85/1.4 are keepers. All I really need now is a lightweight, relatively good and cheap UWA.

The N2485 may not have wide aperture for thin DoF and fuzzy enough bokeh. That's why I am keeping the primes. I am using the EF70-300DO for my tele needs. Contrary to reviews. My copy is sharp and usable enough for me.

Last edited:
Just got it off evilBay but yet to receive it . It has a high serial #8xxxxxx. Yesterday an Olympus OM 50 f1.8 in box with the criteria you stated went for around US$80+... I skipped it since I got the 50 f1.7. Now hoping that the CY50 will clear my 5D mirror. If it is really that impressive, I might just sell of my Sigma. Small, light usable are my criterias.

I don't need so many lens really. As mentioned I am just trying out the different drawing style and evaluating the FL that is more useful for me. So far the LR 35/2 and CY 85/1.4 are keepers. All I really need now is a lightweight, relatively good and cheap UWA.

The N2485 may not have wide aperture for thin DoF and fuzzy enough bokeh. That's why I am keeping the primes. I am using the EF70-300DO for my tele needs. Contrary to reviews. My copy is sharp and usable enough for me.

The CY 50f1.7 is a very simple lens to use and it's sharp from f1.7, so you will have the flexibility to shoot wide open or step down depending on situation. If you have any mirror problem, bring it down to P & G and get David to correct it for you. I love its drawing style, very natural and very 3D.

which are the lenses u think will match the 14-24?

I know there is a permanent debate over this but i still prefer the zeiss 21/2.8.. and if you've got the dough to blow, possibly leica's elmarit of the same specs.

OM 18/3.5 also wins it for me.

The CY 50f1.7 is a very simple lens to use and it's sharp from f1.7, so you will have the flexibility to shoot wide open or step down depending on situation.

Any point to get the CY 50f1.4 if already have the f1.7 since the latter is sharp wide open and the former requires it to be stepped down. If I am not wrong, the 50f1.4 has been voted the best 50mm ever, is it true?

I know there is a permanent debate over this but i still prefer the zeiss 21/2.8.. and if you've got the dough to blow, possibly leica's elmarit of the same specs.

OM 18/3.5 also wins it for me.

I assume you are refering to Leica Elmarit R 19 f2.8. Are you refering specifically to either version I or II?

Last edited:
Any point to get the CY 50f1.4 if already have the f1.7 since the latter is sharp wide open and the former requires it to be stepped down. If I am not wrong, the 50f1.4 has been voted the best 50mm ever, is it true?

I assume you are refering to Leica Elmarit R 19 f2.8. Are you refering specifically to either version I or II?

sorry i should have been more explicit.. yes i was referring to the Leica R Elmarit ASPH 19/2.8. I've only shot with the newer "2nd version" so i can't comment on the older version.. But this one also requires mirror shaving.

W.R.T. to the original post, i think there are lots of good alt lens (aside from Zeiss & Leica) out there.. most of the SMC Takumar 1.4s are of great value vs quality, someone mentioned the Minolta 58/1.2 MC, the wide angle Zuiko OMs (18, 21, 24) are extremely good, the older Pentacon 135/2.8 is great for portraits, and some of the russian or old east german lenses are great deals.

anyone used the helios 28mm 2.8 on EOS bodies before.. if yes how was it?

anyone used the helios 28mm 2.8 on EOS bodies before.. if yes how was it?

Personally I have not tried this lens but for what it's worth, it can be one of those value-for-money lenses in this class of 28. I have tried many and from the top down in terms of IQ I will rank them as follows:

1. Leica Elmarit 28f2.8
2. Zeiss Distagon 28f2.8
3. Zeiss Distagon 28f2
4. OM Zuiko 28f2
5. Nikkor 28f2.8
6. Many 28f3.5 are also value-for-money, like OM 28f3.5, SMC Takumar 28f3.5
7. Others like Helios and some other Russian lenses

I have played with most of these cheap lenses (the Leica and Zeiss are more expensive) and my problem is that I ended up with too many in my dry cabinets.

Last edited:
the zeiss and the leica is definately a keep.:bsmilie:

the zeiss and the leica is definately a keep.:bsmilie:

Yes, I have both of them and use them for separate reasons. I use the Leica Elmarit 28f2.8 mostly for landscape and prefer the Zeiss 28f2.8 for group photo shoot as the Zeiss renders more 3D look.

was told the takumar smc 50 1.4 takes the cake for sharpest standard lens. haven't personally tried, but also did hear of it being radioactive.. lol... any limitations on the import of such products?

was told the takumar smc 50 1.4 takes the cake for sharpest standard lens. haven't personally tried, but also did hear of it being radioactive.. lol... any limitations on the import of such products?

The radioactivity should be of low level. However, it will have make your glass yellowish and produce a yellow cast on your photo. You will need to put your lens regularly in the sun to keep it clear. I think I might have owned one of such lens but sold it off coz it is just too yellowish.

BTW, CY 50 f1.7 is rated the sharpest 50mm by some. I also read somewhere that a collective group of pros voted CY 50 f1.4 as the best performing overall 50mm while the Leica Summilux 50mm comes in 2nd.

The radioactivity should be of low level. However, it will have make your glass yellowish and produce a yellow cast on your photo. You will need to put your lens regularly in the sun to keep it clear. I think I might have owned one of such lens but sold it off coz it is just too yellowish.

BTW, CY 50 f1.7 is rated the sharpest 50mm by some. I also read somewhere that a collective group of pros voted CY 50 f1.4 as the best performing overall 50mm while the Leica Summilux 50mm comes in 2nd.

Tried the SMC takumar and didn't like the yellowish cast, pretty sharp though. The ZE 50f1.4 is a better lens overall, when compared to the CY 50f1.4. I still prefer my CY 50f1.7 as it's sharp wide open and a very simple lens to use, much lighter. At SGD 150, the OM 'made in Japan', s/no 5xxxxxx + is a joy to use, sharp wide open and renders beautiful background blur that reminds me of oil paintings.

Tried the SMC takumar and didn't like the yellowish cast, pretty sharp though. The ZE 50f1.4 is a better lens overall, when compared to the CY 50f1.4. I still prefer my CY 50f1.7 as it's sharp wide open and a very simple lens to use, much lighter. At SGD 150, the OM 'made in Japan', s/no 5xxxxxx + is a joy to use, sharp wide open and renders beautiful background blur that reminds me of oil paintings.

Can you list the 50mm that you have used just like the 28mm. I am very impressed by your relentless persuit and testing of all available lenses.

Can you list the 50mm that you have used just like the 28mm. I am very impressed by your relentless persuit and testing of all available lenses.

Chronologically:

1. CY 50f1.7...sold and just bought back
2. CY 50f1.4....sold
3. Pentacon MC 50f1.8
4. Mamiya Sekor 55f1.4....sold
5. OM 50f1.4 MC...sold
6. Nikkor Ai 50f1.4....sold
7. CZ ZE50f1.4
7. SMC Takumar 50f1.4....sold
8. OM 50f1.8 made in Japan s/no 5xxxxxx

The lens I regretted most that I sold my first CY 50f1.7 as it was just supperb. This lens started me on MF. Straight away, I sold my 17-55, 100 macro USM and 70-200f4 IS. My current one is just as good but I had to spend some money cleaning the glass.

Liked the Nikkor Ai 50f1.4 also and should not have sold it.

The Mamiya Sekor was also another good lens and sold to an ethusiast who is now using it on m4/3.

The best of the lot is of course the ZE 50f1.4 especially with auto aperture and shooting low light situation. This lens is just fantastic from f2 onwards, better for distant objects like group shots and landscape. No good for closeup.

The real value for money lens is my Pentacon which I bought for SGD 90 which I still have. Tried selling it but withdrew both times.

The little OM Zuiko 50f1.8 is one I will carry with me anywhere.

Look forward to trying Rokkor. My friend owns a Leica Sumicron 50f2 and I also love this one.

My experience tells me to play with cheap lenses just to understand each brand's drawing style. Most of the time, it's almost impossible to tell their differences. For example, I took the same shot with 2 different lenses, both are 50s. Can you tell the difference?

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

Last edited:
I can't tell the difference. I will take ur recommendation and stick to CY50/1.7 for 50mm. It is a FL that I find myself using less and this small and affordable lens fit the profile perfectly. I would also like to try out the Rokkor 58/1.2 but they don't come that affordable anymore.

You seem to favour the 28mm over 35mm. May I know why?

I can't tell the difference. I will take ur recommendation and stick to CY50/1.7 for 50mm. It is a FL that I find myself using less and this small and affordable lens fit the profile perfectly. I would also like to try out the Rokkor 58/1.2 but they don't come that affordable anymore.

You seem to favour the 28mm over 35mm. May I know why?

First the 2 photos, first one is by CY 50f.17 and the second by the Pentacon 50f1.8. Drawing style very similar, solid built, and dirt cheap. Finally sold it to another retired man who came after me even when aI withdrew the sale. For a S$100 lens, it can be up there with any giant.

My 2 28s were bought when I had the 40D and I used them as FL 50s. Just happen that the CY 28f2.8 is more popular than the 35f2.8 while the 35f1.4 was too expensive. I picked up the Elmarit 28f2.8 first as it was more affordable than the 35f2 Cron. When I buy the Distagon 21f2.8, I will have very little use for the 28 but I will still keep the Emarit 28f2.8 as it's a fantastic lens. I owned the CY 35f2.8, the OM 35f2.8 and they just didn't stick with me for some reasons.