Alternative lens for EOS other than Leica and Zeiss

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
What are the other alternative lenses that will adapt to EOS other than the Leica, Zeiss and Zuiko that are worth a look. Nothing exotic, just affordable and usable lenses. Please recommend.

Nikkors.

Many of the M42 as well as Russian lenses.

I am not familiar with the latter; you would have to research.

Nikkors.

Many of the M42 as well as Russian lenses.

I am not familiar with the latter; you would have to research.

which Nikkor is worth a look?

I am having difficulty understanding the Pentax as well...what SMC Takumar, A*, K-mount, M42 mount, etc.

AFAIK, no go for Minolta, Canon FD.

which Nikkor is worth a look?

I am having difficulty understanding the Pentax as well...what SMC Takumar, A*, K-mount, M42 mount, etc.

AFAIK, no go for Minolta, Canon FD.

The AI/AIS series of Nikor MF lenses are excellent. Some lenses need slight modification like the 20f2.8 and 50f1.2. Most of the rest are OK. The 105f1.8 & 105f2.5 AIS are very popular.
The 28f2.8 AIS with CRC can be considered side by side with the Leica Elmarit 28f2.8 and the CZ Contax 28f2.8.

Pentax Takumars, the earlier M42 Pentax Takumars especially those Super-Multi-Coated (S-M-C) Takumars are the best. The current Pentak K mount MF lenses are also fine lenses but most of them need some modification to remove the aperture lever and the 'fin'.

Anthony Lee

The AI/AIS series of Nikor MF lenses are excellent. Some lenses need slight modification like the 20f2.8 and 50f1.2. Most of the rest are OK. The 105f1.8 & 105f2.5 AIS are very popular.
The 28f2.8 AIS with CRC can be considered side by side with the Leica Elmarit 28f2.8 and the CZ Contax 28f2.8.

Pentax Takumars, the earlier M42 Pentax Takumars especially those Super-Multi-Coated (S-M-C) Takumars are the best. The current Pentak K mount MF lenses are also fine lenses but most of them need some modification to remove the aperture lever and the 'fin'.

Anthony Lee

Just checked out the price of the Nikkor AI-S on eBay. Wow! quite expensive leh. Got any photo samples to show how it draws?

Which of the Pentax Takumars are recommended?

If you are refering to Voigtlander, they are becoming mainstream with the EF mount.

---

Are the Yashica as good as the Contax? I heard some mentioned Mamiya. Any mama miya ones from them?

Last edited:
Just checked out the price of the Nikkor AI-S on eBay. Wow! quite expensive leh. Got any photo samples to show how it draws?

Which of the Pentax Takumars are recommended?

If you are refering to Voigtlander, they are becoming mainstream with the EF mount.

---

Are the Yashica as good as the Contax? I heard some mentioned Mamiya. Any mama miya ones from them?

I love the Nikkors very much. Honestly, after using too many different brands I am at a lost of words to describe a particular lens and normally I look at how natural the color rendition is when I judge a lens.

These 2 shots were taken by the Nikkor Ai 50mmf1.4 with my 40D. Very liitle PP.

IMG_55402.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

I sold this lens and regretted. Now I am looking for an AIS.

The Mamiya Sekor M42 lenses are quite similar to the Pentax SMC Takumar. I will search for some samples and post them later.

Last edited:
Anyone has any idea about these 2 UWA? Both can be had for less than S$200. Are they any good?

- Arsat 20mm f3.5
- Spiratone 18mm f3.5

I see Yashica ML 50mm f1.7 going for very cheap...I wonder how the Yashica compares with the Contax 50mm f1.7 ?

try the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 for portraits...the bokeh is awesome. almost comparable to the EF 85/1.2

i got a copy from the US and use it on my 5D..looking for a split prism focus screen now

I see Yashica ML 50mm f1.7 going for very cheap...I wonder how the Yashica compares with the Contax 50mm f1.7 ?

Yashica is the lesser known cousin of the Contax. I tried it but prefers the Contax 50f1.7 anytime. The is one Contax lens that gives you 3D images everytime.

try the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 for portraits...the bokeh is awesome. almost comparable to the EF 85/1.2

i got a copy from the US and use it on my 5D..looking for a split prism focus screen now

Yap MD Rokkor 58f1.2 sure rocks. Care to post some photos?

Why do you need a split focusing screen on your 5D? The better way around it is to switch to the Ee-S focusing screen and change to a 1.3x view finder.

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. How do you change the mount? Heard it is not so straight forward. Also you lose the ability to focus to infinity (mirror). Is it true? These are the factors stopping me from getting one.

Anyone has any idea about these 2 UWA? Both can be had for less than S$200. Are they any good?

- Arsat 20mm f3.5
- Spiratone 18mm f3.5

ok maybe these above are too alternative. Which UWA below would you choose that can go on 5DMkII?

1) Leica Elmarit 19mm f2.8 version I ~S$1.4k
2) Olympus OM 21m f2.8, ~S$1.2k
3) Nikkor AIS 20m f2.8 ~S$0.6k

I am wondering would the old Nikkor AIS 20mm live up to the performance of the newer AFS14-24???

Last edited:
there is also a voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 ii.

and it comes in canon ef mount too.

i got a copy that has already been converted to EF mount and focuses to infinity just fine. the infinity focus part depends on the thickness of the adapter. there are step-by-step guides on how to DIY, but i really prefer paying a little more to have one that's already done!

no point taking hte risk and spoiling a perfectly good lens that's out of production.

let me go dig up some files and post them up. like i said, i didnt manage to use it as much as i planned due to the focus problems. i have the Ee-S screen installed, but still lack something for critical focus. its really quite hit and miss so i have to do "focus bracketing" and just pray i get something..hence the search for a split prism screen

ok maybe these above are too alternative. Which UWA below would you choose that can go on 5DMkII?

I am wondering would the old Nikkor AIS 20mm live up to the performance of the newer AFS14-24???

I owned the Nikkor 20mm f2.8 and I didn't like it in terms of image IQ when compared to my Elmarit 28 and CY 28. There is no OM 21f2.8 but only in f2 or f3.5. These can be used on 5d2 and have pretty good reputation. You have to make sure you get the right copy. Also the Elmarit 19mm f2.8 but be prepared to do some minor surgery.

For me I will stick to what I have ( my 28s) as I am not confortable with UWA.

I owned the Nikkor 20mm f2.8 and I didn't like it in terms of image IQ when compared to my Elmarit 28 and CY 28. There is no OM 21f2.8 but only in f2 or f3.5. These can be used on 5d2 and have pretty good reputation. You have to make sure you get the right copy. Also the Elmarit 19mm f2.8 but be prepared to do some minor surgery.

For me I will stick to what I have ( my 28s) as I am not confortable with UWA.

I thought u r eyeing the CZ 21? UWA is quite fun with its wide perspective. I just want one to complement my 24-85 travel lens , so not going to spend a bomb. The Sigma 12-24 is a little too large for my liking to carry as a secondary lens.

Aiya...just got myself a Nikkor 20/2.8. Anyway, will try it out first. It is only 200+ g in weight which is what I am looking for. Maybe should have just gotten the Voigt Ultron.

I think there are only a handful of lenses which can match that of the new 14-24.. but to use it on EOS means a pricy adapter... not sure if its worth the trouble