Alternative for iPHOTO

Joel kho

Apr 12, 2009
Singapore, Bukit Panjang
Hey guys,

i'm looking for a basic image editing software similar to Microsoft office Picture Manager that allows me to mass edit photos(adjusting contrast/brightness, etc).

I've recently got a Macbook and apparently its version of Microsoft office doesn't include the Picture Manager.

iPhoto seems a good choice, but i don't like the way it rearranges my photos and i don't have full control of which folder i want my photos in.

If you guys know of any mass imagine software which i can use please let me know, it has to be compatible with the mac OS. =)

Cheers,
Joel

Last edited:
Did you have a look at Adobe Lightroom? There's a 30 days trial version, comes for Win and Mac.

How about Apple Aperture ?

basic editing software? with full control of arranging your folders? try Picasa 3.9 for Mac OS, it's free :D

thanks, i tried finding Picasa for mac before but couldn't find it. thanks for the link. =) btw do you have any idea how to find where Picasa backs up the image after i edit the photos and save them? is it possible to disable this function of auto back up?

thanks, i tried finding Picasa for mac before but couldn't find it. thanks for the link. =) btw do you have any idea how to find where Picasa backs up the image after i edit the photos and save them? is it possible to disable this function of auto back up?

most likely they will be in
Picasa creates a copy of your photo with all edits applied and moves the original to a subfolder called '.picasaoriginals'
Read more here: Saving photos - Picasa and Picasa Web Albums Help

I don't think you can disable it, though I may be wrong since I only use it for a short period, I'm using Aperture now.

good stuffs usually dun come free. just invest your money on it. if not make do with what u have.

good stuffs usually dun come free. just invest your money on it. if not make do with what u have.
Lightroom is really worth the money, it's a tool with workflow built in. Especially or processing of large amounts of images (be it editing or processing) works great there.\
TS: The basic functions are available in your camera software as well, but only tailored for the hobby user. Have you tried the software that came with your camera?

i can't find the software CD the came with my camera, but light room. i'll maybe try the trial version before making any decision. its expensive.

LR is not only capital intensive, it is also resource intensive. Ensure your hardware is up to it. :)

Photoshop elements. Software is about $150. Comes with organiser function to organise photos and batch editing. The editor function is for more special editing.

i can't find the software CD the came with my camera, but light room. i'll maybe try the trial version before making any decision. its expensive.
According your profile you use Nikon. The software can be downloaded from the website, afair.

Joel kho said:
Hey guys,

i'm looking for a basic image editing software similar to Microsoft office Picture Manager that allows me to mass edit photos(adjusting contrast/brightness, etc).

I've recently got a Macbook and apparently its version of Microsoft office doesn't include the Picture Manager.

iPhoto seems a good choice, but i don't like the way it rearranges my photos and i don't have full control of which folder i want my photos in.

If you guys know of any mass imagine software which i can use please let me know, it has to be compatible with the mac OS. =)

Cheers,
Joel

iPhoto is really quite good for what you're looking for. Added bonus is that you can create your photo book and order the print , all through iPhoto.

Take a closer look. The ease of use is very well done.

Aperture offers more features and user control of folder arrangements but the user interface is less intuitive.

Aperture thru' App store is really quite reasonable comparatively; trial oso available.

lepentaxy said:
Aperture thru' App store is really quite reasonable comparatively; trial oso available.

i have tried aperture and lightroom b4 deciding on lightroom. main reason cos i find aperture very slow in processing raw files.