All my photographs Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisa

Aug 13, 2004
Someone offered to change my PC for me... :) and the person managed to save my photography on some "bad sector" :dunno: ! and my past 3 - 4 years of photography ALL GONE!!! :cry:

thats sad.
Lets learn from this: always back up your data.

laugh said:
thats sad.
Lets learn from this: always back up your data.

Mind you...even cd-roms are not the "be-all-end-all" solution. Always print the best ones, use cold laminations and put them in an album. Something could still happen to them, but at least it won't be due to this sort of thing happening.

Also can try to subsribe to Clubsnap web hosting plan, then upload all the important photos on the web..... ;)

Astin said:
Also can try to subsribe to Clubsnap web hosting plan, then upload all the important photos on the web..... ;)
lolx... sounds like some sales strategy.. however, it's true.

Backup strategy should include offsite backup. in this case, backup on some server online. Onsite backups, (cdrom, prints, backup hdds) can get all destroyed in a freak accident like fire.

:)

yeap going to find some online place to store my pictures.
But after brooding over it for the whole nite and morning, i decide that I would look at it at an opporunity to go and take NEW pictures :lovegrin:

Setup a storage system at home that runs on RAID 1 (mirror) and UPS, network it to your PCs and each time you save your work, save a local copy in your PC and then periodically backup the whole folder into the storage system. Then you'll have 3 HDDs that contain the same set of photos. Even if one crashes or develops bad sectors you still have 2 HDDs that contain them.

;p

My photoedit PC is using a 120GB HDD to store photos (only used 20GB so far) and I got another P-III system (no need too powerful since it's only a storage PC) running two 250GB HDDs with RAID 1. Each time I backup, I'll just copy the entire folder from my photoedit PC into my 250GB HDD... so far still a lot of space left. :sticktong

cold laminations makes the photo darker...

yeah I am setting up a server for me to store my things ;) but i think i should just find another place to store.... :sweat: u never know...

Standard backup strategy:
Original copy on HDD
1x Backup copy on external HDD
1x Backup copy on optical disc

Kiasu backup strategy:
Original copy on HDD
1x Backup copy on external HDD + Mirror the HDD
2x Backup copy on optical disc
Online storage for photos

Reflection said:
Mind you...even cd-roms are not the "be-all-end-all" solution. Always print the best ones, use cold laminations and put them in an album. Something could still happen to them, but at least it won't be due to this sort of thing happening.

Hmmm, you have to backup no matter what (not necessarily cdroms though). At least thats the only hope we can have what something crashes.

usually have at least 2 backups..... one on a separate harddrive and one on DVD+RW. recently, also added another backup on DVD+R which I'll probably store offsite.

How do you guys backup all your data? I've coming to half a terabyte of photos to back up and still can't find a viable way to do it. Even with DVDs thats like going to take 100+ of it....

what for Blu-ray....but it will cost you a bomb for sure. :thumbsup:

Quite bad luck that the sectors he copied to developed bad sectors. You can try using data recovery softwares like getdataback to see if any photos can be recovered.

vince123123 said:
How do you guys backup all your data? I've coming to half a terabyte of photos to back up and still can't find a viable way to do it. Even with DVDs thats like going to take 100+ of it....
Unbelivable.... :eek:

For now, depend on ur HDD till Blu-Ray burners prices drop to sub-$500. Though Blu-Ray burners and media are readily available in Japan, they cost a few K. :(

vince123123 said:

i have a similar problem. My current solution is one copy on DVD (half a terabyte - about 60 DVDs so far) and one copy on harddisk - offline.

i think HDDs are cheaper than DVDs for backup for the time and effort saved. i use a firewire external enclosure to plug in my exteral HDDs 'live'.

You can probably skip the DVDs and go straight for the HDDs, but i feel safer with one 'inert' copy sitting around somewhere.

So I assume you copy your half a terabyte onto a few HDDs?

I just bought two 300GBs, trying to back up my stuffs heh :p

The only thing I'm worried about backing up to HD is that after a long while of not using it, would the heads refuse to work or the HD not function?

I've salvaged my old computers before and when I take out the HDD to store, after a long time, when I try to use them again, it refuse to read...

ST1100 said:
i have a similar problem. My current solution is one copy on DVD (half a terabyte - about 60 DVDs so far) and one copy on harddisk - offline.

i think HDDs are cheaper than DVDs for backup for the time and effort saved. i use a firewire external enclosure to plug in my exteral HDDs 'live'.

You can probably skip the DVDs and go straight for the HDDs, but i feel safer with one 'inert' copy sitting around somewhere.

vince123123 said:
The only thing I'm worried about backing up to HD is that after a long while of not using it, would the heads refuse to work or the HD not function?

I've salvaged my old computers before and when I take out the HDD to store, after a long time, when I try to use them again, it refuse to read...

This happens. If I recall correctly, the magnetic charge on the disk slowly deteriorates over time, thus corrupting your data.

The solution was to "refresh" the data every now and then by rewriting it. Not sure what the best way to do this is, but I would imagine copying it from one hard disk to another should do the trick. Not sure whether a surface scan (using Scandisk) would work.

Well, I'd have preferred a write once and forget about it type of backup method....

I wonder if tape backups would have the same problem....although I understand that tape backup systems are damn expensive.

StreetShooter said:
This happens. If I recall correctly, the magnetic charge on the disk slowly deteriorates over time, thus corrupting your data.

The solution was to "refresh" the data every now and then by rewriting it. Not sure what the best way to do this is, but I would imagine copying it from one hard disk to another should do the trick. Not sure whether a surface scan (using Scandisk) would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.