Alan Photo... :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JerChan

Went down to Alan Photo this afternoon after my lessons to enquire for the price of a Minolta Dimage 7i but was given the "I don't think you can afford it" treatment by this skinny guy who was way too engrossed in his newspapers to even bother to answer a customer's enquiries.

As I walked into the shop, the skinny sales person was so busy reading his newspapers that he ignored me when I asked him the price difference between a Dimage 7 and Dimage 7i. After browsing for a while, I saw a Pentax ME Super and enquired about it.

This sales person just glared at me and went back to reading his newspapers. I had to walk up to him and catch his attention before he gave me a very reluctant reply to my price enquiry.

However, when I enquired about the ME Super, he told me that it was not for sale and ignored my other questions by telling me to contact Pentax if I want to know more.

This is not the first time I had such a respond from them. Previously, when I was with another friend who was interested in getting a Fujifilm S1, we were told that we can only see the camera if we buy it. Else, we can only look at an empty box.

Is there some kind of a dress code that one must adhere to when patronizing Alan Photo? Cause I was in my school uniform when I patronized the shop.

:dunno:

I find all SLS ppl got attitude problem.... except Vox technology.. or maybe some other store i never visit.

You only go SLS if you what u want to get and the price!.. if u just want to see-see only forget it.... u just wasting your effort.

Do a lot of research happy hunting ;)

Originally posted by sonix
I find all SLS ppl got attitude problem.... except Vox technology.. or maybe some other store i never visit.

You only go SLS if you what u want to get and the price!.. if u just want to see-see only forget it.... u just wasting your effort.

Do a lot of research happy hunting ;)

I was intending to purchase the 7i from him but after all that attitute... again, I told myself to look else where.

Maybe that guy is having his mensus.

Originally posted by JerChan

I was intending to purchase the 7i from him but after all that attitute... again, I told myself to look else where.

You must go with the rite people!

Good on you to take the business elsewhere!!! If these people are not willing to entertain you then why should you spend a single second more in their damned premise? It wouldn't affect you much because you can get the same product somewhere else who actually appreciate your business. For them, they've lost a serious customer and I don't feel a damn for them at all!!! Well done!!!

well done there....sales ppl nowadays better do their hw properly...students also make up a certain amount of ppl using digicams, not to mention SLRs..haiz...if i were u...i would shout at him..make him lose face =P...eh am i bad ....:D

Originally posted by ralphii82sg
well done there....sales ppl nowadays better do their hw properly...students also make up a certain amount of ppl using digicams, not to mention SLRs..haiz...if i were u...i would shout at him..make him lose face =P...eh am i bad ....:D

I thought that shouting at him would bring me down to his level, hence my approach of walking out calmly. One of the reasons I went back to Alan Photo was because it is one of the more talked about camera shops in the local forums.

hmmm... maybe i should go down there after one of my hikes, complete with muddy sandals, dirty shorts, scrubby singlets and backpack and see how he reacts.

then whip out a D60 (if only i had one) on my way out. :D :D

I guess it depends on who you approach.

Even in bigger non-SLS shops, there're some black sheep. When I asked about a deflector, a guy took it out and quoted me $40, $2 off the list price. I told him that I had a equote several weeks back at $30 but he flatly told me that's the old price and the price has since risen.

So, I went to get another equote and this time round, the price's $28 only!

Erm.. funny. I never got such service from AP.. just to be fair i report how my encounter with them.

as for me, i NEVER dress nice... i mean, i don't work and its bloody hot here, 95% of the time I have my bermuda and Tees and always carry a lousy reebok bag. Definately not someone u think got money... but i do talk with confidence even my dressing is kind of bad (some say very aussie hehe).

went in AP for the 1st time with such dressing.. stand in their display window and stare. Tom came and ask what i want and I say wanna buy digicam, say interested in G2 and S40..he ask me to help myself as the window door not lock.. took out G1 and S40 and play with it for 30 mins..

last week, went in again and this time greeted by Tan.. told him i want 2100uz and he was very polite then i ask can see or not, he wanted to come out but i say I can take it myself.. he say thanks. let me played with it for like as long as i like..

2 days ago, want a bag for it... went there and told him what i want and he showed me 2 bags but i don't like it, then he went off as other customer call for him.. I asked him can I help myself he say yes... so there i am, they let me try out the begs they have behind, taking my own sweet time to choose... Tom came (funny guy) and talk to me... later found the perfect beg tom showed me and got it with a canon battery.

when I was looking at the 2100uz last week, i was with my gf.. she was bored like hell and she told me tom was playing jokes with her.. making monkey faces and so on, trying to say that he himself is as bored too...hehe

and all these time I go there, i dress like that.. slippers+tee+shorts.

but no matter what, if u dont feel happy with a shop... just go elsewhere. As for me.. I am still very happy with them.

hey, were u wearing a brown coloured uniform? Were u there around 5 something to 6? I saw a skinny guy near the entrance reading papers when i was getting my filters....

Is Tom the big sized guy?

Is Tom the big sized guy?

not big.. well kinda, he is short.. not too old like the other guy. He normally dress like me (short pants+tees) but saw him few times with long pants.. he normally stays behind when there's not many customer

Originally posted by kylelam77
hey, were u wearing a brown coloured uniform? Were u there around 5 something to 6? I saw a skinny guy near the entrance reading papers when i was getting my filters....

Yes, I was there around 1800hrs and was dressed in a brown colored uniform, striped shirt with dark brown pants.

yah. tat guy gave me the heck care attitude as well thats why i didnt even bother asking him. Anyway, i was more accustomed to talking to Peter....

yah. tat guy gave me the heck care attitude as well thats why i didnt even bother asking him. Anyway, i was more accustomed to talking to Peter....

who is peter ? the older, with some white hair.. kinda short guy?

So, I guess you were the one who was standing in the corner speaking to a big sized guy? He did look friendly and looked in my direction a couple of times.

But I was just pissed...

he only give face to ur plastic VISA or American Express lah

Originally posted by eadwine

he only give face to ur plastic VISA or American Express lah

I usually go shopping only after lessons. Hence, most of the time, I am in my uniform. It does get very bad especially when sales personnels give you the "I don't think you can afford it look", but there are always those who treat you better if you are a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.