Air con room and fungus.

NewbieInCS

Jun 11, 2009
Singapore
I have seen two lens infected with fungus in funan mall. One being a new lens in a camera shop and the other being a lens stored by the user in a non-camera related shop. Both in funan, where we buy our camera stuff. Does it mean that even though air-con places are lower in humidity, chance of fungus is still high? If I am getting a "not so popular speciality lens" that has been sitting in the shops for months or years, will the chance of fungus be a lot higher?

Based on that do you make your conclusions? What do you know about those two lenses you have seen? Wouldn't it render all the dry cabinets useless if fungus still grows happily in them?

I do think some malls turn off the a/c after closing?

Also depends on how they store it. If put inside a dark cupboard with stale air in the store with other junk. Fungus will still grow. maybe someone put a wet towel there, or put a cup of kopi or water there. Maybe someone took it home, grew some shrooms and brought it back. Maybe it was a return. Maybe it was one of the few new lenses that was not packed properly. Maybe someone spilled water on it. Who knows?

Unless you work there, you will never really know what the lens really went through.

Last edited:
malls will most definitely turn off there aircons at night. i dun know about the situation now, but i had a shop in far east plaza in 2000, and they turn off the aircon by 10pm. worst was during the 2 CNY holidays, they turned it off for the whole 48hrs! the daily changes in tempature could have affect on it.

Actually, I don't think there'll be much difference in temperature and humidity when the mall is closed and the aircon is off. Coz there'll be no movement and the air will be still, and temperature changes will be slight. Either way, it doesn't really matter whether it has been kept well or not right? As long as when you buy, there's no fungus and everything is ok, then can already right? You gotta check your lens at the store, cannot assume all new lenses are free of defects. So, don't really need to worry about higher or lower risk, as long as you minimize the risk after buying it home. =)