AFS 70-200mm VRII AF problem

bighead

Mar 26, 2006
hi all, I have a AFS 70-200mm VRII AF problem. Most likely is the motor as I had tried on different bodies. Have anyone got similar problems ?

Take it to Nikon.

Have u used much, or not much at all. ?

Storing in dry cabinet TOO low RH% and too long can cause issues with the grease inside.

Also once per week i rotate all Zoom and Focus rings on all lenses and I also flick the aperture tab to work them also... It keeps all things moving well. :)

( If it moves or slides... move it now n then even if not used. ;) )

Last edited:
yes, has been a while since I last used it. Thxs for your inputs.

Just keep the AF on for many times once in a while, the sound will go away.

Modern day lenses uses synthetic grease. They do not dry up in low RH%

Modern day lenses uses synthetic grease. They do not dry up in low RH%

Some still can... its not so much dry up but it "changes". Certainly grease like MicroLubrol HELIMAX-XP or DuPont KRYTOX will not... but then we don't get told whats used.

Electronic contacts / Motors within a lens may also be affected by humidity being too high.

I tried on different bodies, one D3s and two D7000. All bodies show same problem, ie its like huntg for focus. Hence I presume is motor. Will try again. Thxs everyone fr ur input

I tried on different bodies, one D3s and two D7000. All bodies show same problem, ie its like huntg for focus. Hence I presume is motor. Will try again. Thxs everyone fr ur input

there is an easy way to find out the is there any problem and have a solution to it.

bring your lens and camera body to Nikon Service Centre.

hi all, I have a AFS 70-200mm VRII AF problem. Most likely is the motor as I had tried on different bodies. Have anyone got similar problems ?

What exactly is the problem with the AF? Motor does not turn? AF does not lock? Inaccurate focusing? Does i9t makes a squeaky sound during AF?
Most of the time, the exact problem symptoms would help a lot to identify the cause of the problem.

I cld hear something turng inside but just nt gettg AF.

Of coz, easy way is to go NSC, then why bother asking here in first place. If every reply here in this forum is this, then its so easy

Of coz, easy way is to go NSC, then why bother asking here in first place. If every reply here in this forum is this, then its so easy

You are focusing on the problem. Not the solution. How does this help you?

What good is that you have a lens is not working? Get it fixed asap is way to go.

Last edited:

I've seen the same problem before on that lens. Usually, there are 3 possible causes:

1. Red arrow - flexible cable blocking the focus mechanism after the adhesive deteriorated. Solution- Just replace the adhesive
2. Blue arrow - Sticky adhesive from the focus encoder plate melted and is affecting the focus mechanism. Solution - clean the focus mechanism and put new grease
3. Stiff SWM - Either it's worn out or oxidized SWM parts specially if the lens was kept for quite sometime. Solution - Usually, service center would replace the SWM with new parts to fix this problem.
My fix, I just clean the motor. Yes, just carefully clean the motor. SWM (just like USM, HSM ..etc) operates on dry friction. So the rubbing parts has to be smooth and clean. No grease. Grease is added to the focus mechanism but not the rubbing parts of the motor.

These solutions require a lot of dismantling so fix at your own risk

I've seen the same problem before on that lens. Usually, there are 3 possible causes:

1. Red arrow - flexible cable blocking the focus mechanism after the adhesive deteriorated. Solution- Just replace the adhesive
2. Blue arrow - Sticky adhesive from the focus encoder plate melted and is affecting the focus mechanism. Solution - clean the focus mechanism and put new grease
3. Stiff SWM - Either it's worn out or oxidized SWM parts specially if the lens was kept for quite sometime. Solution - Usually, service center would replace the SWM with new parts to fix this problem.
My fix, I just clean the motor. Yes, just carefully clean the motor. SWM (just like USM, HSM ..etc) operates on dry friction. So the rubbing parts has to be smooth and clean. No grease. Grease is added to the focus mechanism but not the rubbing parts of the motor.

These solutions require a lot of dismantling so fix at your own risk

Ooops! My bad. this is for VR1 version.
For VR2, usually it's the SWM

Last edited:
Thxs for your help anyway.

Focusing on the problem will prevent another occurence of the issue. This will be useful in future nt onli fr this lens but others as well. Of coz, going to NSC will solve it but knowing what cld be the cause will be good in the long run.

Focusing on the problem will prevent another occurence of the issue. This will be useful in future nt onli fr this lens but others as well. Of coz, going to NSC will solve it but knowing what cld be the cause will be good in the long run.

If your lens is out of warranty, Just send it to bro fatigue (David). I have dealt with him personally and he is my go to guy for problems i face with my gear. At least let him take a look to see if he can get it fixed. He will advise accordingly. Great guy that many of us here have known for a long time. And God knows how many of my equipment he has saved.

Ps. If you do not already know, we call him the lens whisperer in ClubSNAP.

Last edited: