AFD 28-70mm f/2.8 AF Jam

Alan Chan

Dec 13, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
I've bought a 2nd hand 28-70mm lens from a bro here, who sent it to NSC to replace the SWM with warranty until Oct.

When I first got it, no problem what so ever. I went out on last Sunday and shoot the whole day with it, worked very well.
I then left it in the dry cabinet, attached to the body since. I've taken it out today to take a few shots.

These are the symptoms:
1) When I half-depress and shutter release, the motor jerks and stop, the focus ring moved with the jerk and the scale window as well.
2) Squeaky sounds when jerks.
3) When switched to manual focus mode, i can turn the focus ring but the scale window only goes halfway.

What I did was point the lens to the floor and turn the focus ring in manual focus mode. After a few twists from end-to-end, all the symptoms mentioned above are gone and the lens works fine after that.

Anyone else has this issue? What causes it? I'm going back to the NSC but just worried it might be back after the 6 months warranty.

I have never encounter this problem with my 24-70 lens. However, I have a similar experience to share with my 18-200 mm DX lens, I brought it to Taiwan for a trip and it failed on me. The lens would not focus and experience jam. I thought my entire photography trip would be gone but what I did was to turn zoom in and out a few times and it worked again. I suspected by doing so, the dust which cause the jam was dislodged in the process. I never had the problem since.

In conclusion, it could be some foreign dust which contributed to the jam. So nothing to worry if you can dislodge it. Dust does get into the zoom lens once in a while as they are not 100% seal proof.

I had the same problem! I bought it new. Never drop, handle it like a one-month old baby. It just jammed during a trip to HK and refused to focus. I can only do manual focus. At first I turned focus ring all the way to infinity and it still willing to focus from there. After a few shots, it just went dead. So I just carried on with my back up compact camera.... =(

I sent it in NSC straight away when I came back. The lady never tell me anything, just said will let the technican look at it. After a week or two, they called me for collection. I asked the same girl what had happened to the lens, she just said they have changed the barrel. I asked her what she meant by changing barrel and what happened and why just changed the barrel... sorry I am an idiot... then she just told me they had replaced a brand new lens for me.... so I went home happily.... till now still no issue... cross my finger...

that kind of thing kind of common on that lens :eek: :eek: :eek:

i was notice got more the AF 17-35mm f2.8D lens, i saw my friend more common to be facing the SWM failure.

What if the warranty is over???
How much to change?

basically your AFS motor is gone. happened to me before. bring in it to change.

the bro who sold me the lens gave me the receipt, which stated the REPLACEMENT of SWM, rubber for $580+
Still under warranty, can a new motor dies within months of low usage?
Anyway will visit the NSC next week. I'll post the findings and outcome if you guys are interested.

quite a lot of hurt. my guess would be 200+.

northwards of $500, not including labour charges, IIRC. which was why eventually except for the 28-70mm, i got rid of all my AFS lenses and went old-fashioned and got AFD lenses. at least mechanical lenses not so heart-pain when i have to repair them.

the bro who sold me the lens gave me the receipt, which stated the REPLACEMENT of SWM, rubber for $580+
Anyway will visit the NSC next week. I'll post the findings and outcome if you guys are interested.

if it is under warranty, the replacement should be free unless the damages are caused by human error. for squeaking noise from lack of use, IIRC, fatigue's advice to AFS users in the past was to use it more frequently. the squeaking comes from the lubricant. but, if i guess correctly, your problem lies with the motor not the lubricant.

nightwolf75 said:
northwards of $500, not including labour charges, IIRC. which was why eventually except for the 28-70mm, i got rid of all my AFS lenses and went old-fashioned and got AFD lenses. at least mechanical lenses not so heart-pain when i have to repair them.

if it is under warranty, the replacement should be free unless the damages are caused by human error. for squeaking noise from lack of use, IIRC, fatigue's advice to AFS users in the past was to use it more frequently. the squeaking comes from the lubricant. but, if i guess correctly, your problem lies with the motor not the lubricant.

Ouchies. I would assume the cost is also depends on the lens. I don't see myself spending so much to fix the kit lens. :)

thanks for the replacement price update.