AF Speed Comparison Between 5DmkII vs 50D

24-70L, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100L...
add'l 6 AF points will be activated if you use the Servo modes...

Thanks I also have the 24-70 and 100L. Also got the siggy 50 1.4 so these should work as well. Thanks

i'm using 40d before 2 bodies of 5D Mk II, at first i feel the AF of 5D Mk II is much slower than 40d. I'm using canon STE-2 to help the AF speed of 5D mk II, or if you have 580 EX II, you can set the flash to just transmit the IR assist only. read your manuals.

In low light, the 50D holds the advantage for being more sensitive to acquire focus more precisely and quickly. This is closely followed by the 40D, assuming user error wasn't there, this would mean that the digic 4 processor does work to speed up the processing and reading of AF algorithms. The 5D and 5D2 just can't hold up as well in low light.

Side note: the DIGIC processor is an image processor. The cameras all have separate focusing/algorithm/other processors aside from DIGIC to handle all the other camera's operations.

I have the 5D2 and 500D. Used to own the 20D. 5D2 if I want good picture quality and 500D (much lighter + built-in flash) for going out with the family.

The 5D2's AF is pretty ok in most instances, and using the centre-AF spot helps. But one thing that's slower is the shutter blackout & perceived shutter lag -- I think it's because of the full-frame mirror which is bigger & heavier than that used for DSLRs with APSC-sized sensors.

To put things in perspective, I have 3 kids and it's next to impossible to get them to sit still and have 100% of the shots in focus -- I think this 'can't sit still' rule applies regardless of whether you're using the 5D2/50D/7D et al.

Moral of the story is to take as many pics of your kids as possible because a) some shots won't be usable, b) digital storage is cheap (compared to the good old film days) plus you can always delete the bad shots, and c) the kids grow up so quickly! :)

Alamak, 5D2 cannot take kids? I use 5D and manual focus lens and have no problem taking my 2 yr old grandson.

Alamak, 5D2 cannot take kids? I use 5D and manual focus lens and have no problem taking my 2 yr old grandson.

haha...that's because you are an "old hand" at it.

----------------------

I have tried using 5D2 with Al Servo, AFP all on to track horses at equestrian. It is slow, more often than not, unable to catch up with the horses. I have better luck using center AFP and pan the horse movements, or take with the horses galloping towards me instead of horizontal plane.

I guess if TS is using center AFP to focus and recompose his kid, then it should not be a problem, unless of course his kid runs faster than a horse.

I believe when people refer to 5D2 autofocus being slow, it is refering to tracking of a subject across the AFP. If it is just center AFP, then all cameras should perform more or less the same.

Proof :)
4109828445_8be79d02f7.jpg

Last edited:
5DMKII CMI (cannot make it) if you want fast AF. It cant even catch up with kids running around the field. Not that it is a bad camera just that it is not designed for sport / action photography.

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I tested the 5dmkII and it is definately slower than the 50D even with center focus only. Also the mirror flipping is quite slow too. When I take pics vertically and shoot a few in a row I get a bit dizzy looking in the viewfinder. It is as if there is a pic shifting inside. Maybe it is just me or because me wearing glasses affects it.

This hold truth if you are not using the center AF point.

Hi,

Just curious, if centre AF is being used then there is not much issue using 5D2. But isn't it true that most users shoot using the centre AF more often? Otherwise most users would choose the auto mode instead and the rest is up to the camera to determine the AF point.

Correst me if I am wrong...:)

Hi,

Just curious, if centre AF is being used then there is not much issue using 5D2. But isn't it true that most users shoot using the centre AF more often? Otherwise most users would choose the auto mode instead and the rest is up to the camera to determine the AF point.

Some prefer to re-compose some doesn't. It all about personnel preference.

Hi,

I almost always shoot with the center focus point. As they say, work within your limitations. I don't like letting the camera decide the focus point for me, especially since with the 5D (and 5D2) AF systems, it's quite slow.