AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G on sale from today 16 Feb 2012

Hi guys can this be consider a micro lens as i am quite interested in this lens,thks

by itself no. with a 6T yes. all most any thing with a 6t attached can be sort called macro. did a series of shots for work - only problem was the macro lens was with bossman out of town; my AD wanted macro look stuff saying her husband can make a 24-70 cannon do macro. yeah like I am cucumber slip a 6T on and its rock and roll baby.

Wow, that a big price difference from the 1.4. Has anyone had a chance to compare the two side by side?
The 1.4 is the lens I have been saving for because of its bokeh in portraits. Can I achieve this now for such a low price?

by itself no. with a 6T yes. all most any thing with a 6t attached can be sort called macro. did a series of shots for work - only problem was the macro lens was with bossman out of town; my AD wanted macro look stuff saying her husband can make a 24-70 cannon do macro. yeah like I am cucumber slip a 6T on and its rock and roll baby.

Bro what u mean by 6t attached ???

6t is nikon brand close up filter, raynox is alternative. You can use extension tube, reverse ring etc as well.
Best is to go for dedicated macro lens which other bro mentioned if you have budget.

85mm f1.8g has a focusing distance of 0.8 meter which means you have to be 0.8m away from the subject before you can focus properly.

Bro what u mean by 6t attached ???

subzero is the raynox flat field ? That is the attached element has a flat surface on both sides and not one side flat the other bugles out. The 6T can if you handle it right give you a macro look. If I remember right it also shorten the min focal length down by what a third ? Mean min focus distance with it on will be 0.5m. Attachment lens do not effect effective f stop, tubes& extension rings do which may be a issue if you want a specific f stop to work with.

It's convex like 6T, but not screw type filter. Basically just latch on to the front element. You can google to see how it look like.

As for extension tube, it may affect the f-stop but you can always compensate with ev, iso or flash. If you go to the macro section, quite a few people are using extension tube and produce great results. I seldom see people using 6T in the discussion.

subzero is the raynox flat field ? That is the attached element has a flat surface on both sides and not one side flat the other bugles out. The 6T can if you handle it right give you a macro look. If I remember right it also shorten the min focal length down by what a third ? Mean min focus distance with it on will be 0.5m. Attachment lens do not effect effective f stop, tubes& extension rings do which may be a issue if you want a specific f stop to work with.

This is a better and more comprehensive review, and more entertaining
Nikon 85mm f1.8G AFS Review and Comparison | Fro Knows Photo

Seen it. AF-S wins AF-D hands down. Just wonder how come AF-S F/1.4 seems to perform worse than 1.8 in terms of sharpness in details...

The new G lens is bigger, but lighter than the AF-D one. That says a lot about the type of materials being used for this lens, PLASTIC. But the sharpness improvement compared to the AF-D version is quite amazing!

How far do you stand for the lastshot?

6t is nikon brand close up filter, raynox is alternative. You can use extension tube, reverse ring etc as well.
Best is to go for dedicated macro lens which other bro mentioned if you have budget.

85mm f1.8g has a focusing distance of 0.8 meter which means you have to be 0.8m away from the subject before you can focus properly.

OIC thks for the info bro .....

haaaa I concur with the review... :thumbsup:..... main thing is, though the performance is good... Nikon did not sell it for like $1k..... they really should have done the same for 24-70.... come on Nikon, sell the 24-70 for 1.5K.... :bsmilie::heart:

Had it for slightly more then a week now. Even when this is priced slightly higher then US recommended retail as it was the first batch, I still find it good value for the $. Anyway, check out some pix taken on both dx and fx. Nikon AF-S 85mm f1.8 G - a set on Flickr Nothing scientific on this set, just me having fun with the lens.

pam111 said:
Had it for slightly more then a week now. Even when this is priced slightly higher then US recommended retail as it was the first batch, I still find it good value for the $. Anyway, check out some pix taken on both dx and fx. Nikon AF-S 85mm f1.8 G - a set on Flickr Nothing scientific on this set, just me having fun with the lens.

I thought the price is just right or cheaper. $499 USD is abt $600 sgd and u still have to consider GST!

Sorry, I should have been more specific... bought in HK for HKD4250, roughly SGD680

so i assume the AFD 1.8 focus faster than this ?

Not in my experience with the D700... its quite fast and accurate

ic .. btw did u manage to compare with the 85 AFS 1.4?

cos the AFD 50 f1.8 was faster than then 50 AFS f1.4

hi, newbie here. with 85mm, fitted onto d7000, it will x 1.5 = 127.5mm?