Advises whether to bring DSLR to Bangkok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xEnie23

Dec 6, 2007
Tampines Street 12
I know this thread is very random,
but i seriously need advises.

Im heading to Bangkok (BKK) for CNY soon,
and i had ask around for advises,
whether to bring my EOS350D out along or leave it stranded at home.

some advise me to bring it out, for oversea photography - especially night market shooting,
but some advise me to leave it at home due to safety reason.

is there anyone who bring dslr out to countries like bangkok and so on.
im not pinpointing that bangkok aint safe or whatever,
ima just sincerely seeking for advises.

please kindly guide me along ;)

fyi, ima using EOS350D with only Sigma18-200mm.

looking forward to feedback and guidance.

bring it along... i never had problems... just dont go places where you would not go even without camera...

bring it along... i never had problems... just dont go places where you would not go even without camera...

well. seems like its better to bring along bahs.
would it like seek unneccessary attention?
thanks for replying ;)

Bring it along. Never had problems with it in Bangkok itself.

But seriously, if u keep thinking of all the negatives of getting robbed, snatched, etc. My suggestion is for u to leave it at home and enjoy your holiday instead. No point going overseas and den u scared left, scared right, scared until u dun even dare to bring it out to shoot.

well. seems like its better to bring along bahs.
would it like seek unneccessary attention?
thanks for replying ;)

If you worry too much ,,, then better dont bring and enjoys your trip there.

I have bring my DSLR and SLR to Tibet, BKK, Angkok wat etc etc .. :)

Bring it along. Never had problems with it in Bangkok itself.

But seriously, if u keep thinking of all the negatives of getting robbed, snatched, etc. My suggestion is for u to leave it at home and enjoy your holiday instead. No point going overseas and den u scared left, scared right, scared until u dun even dare to bring it out to shoot.

the problem now is,

ima okay wid it. except family is abit paranoid about it.
anyw, wid all this positive feedbacks cos you guys bring it along too,
ima going along with the flow.
i dont wanna head out without my dslr and return wid regrets = no photography.
good chance to practice too.
thanks anways ;)

If you worry too much ,,, then better dont bring and enjoys your trip there.

I have bring my DSLR and SLR to Tibet, BKK, Angkok wat etc etc .. :)

since you brought it along, ima going with the flow.
i dont wanna miss out anything :D

If afraid, then don't go Bangkok lor.

I have been many times to Bangkok. Travelled to some ulu places.

The only place I have problem though is some of the wet market in Bangkok. Because of the bird flu problem happend few years ago, going to the wet market in the poultry area seems to be heavily guarded by the security guards.

If they see us taking pictures, they will chase us out of the market.

Other that than, I did not encounter any problems in photo taking restrictions.

Just don't go to streets which is too empty or during evening time.

If afraid, then don't go Bangkok lor.

I have been many times to Bangkok. Travelled to some ulu places.

The only place I have problem though is some of the wet market in Bangkok. Because of the bird flu problem happend few years ago, going to the wet market in the poultry area seems to be heavily guarded by the security guards.

If they see us taking pictures, they will chase us out of the market.

Other that than, I did not encounter any problems in photo taking restrictions.

Just don't go to streets which is too empty or during evening time.

as per reply.
the problem now is,

thanks anways ;)

ma uncle haf friends in bkk.
thanks ^^

as per reply.
the problem now is,

thanks anways ;)

ma uncle haf friends in bkk.
thanks ^^

Tell your family not to hear too much news or rumour Bangkok is a dangerous place. Millions of visitors flock the city that never sleeps every year.

Before I visited Bangkok in 2001 I thought it would be a seedy crime-ridden city with pickpockets everywhere. But after having visited there I find that it is quite safe and the people friendly. I have brought my SLR many times there to take pictures of the city, temples and streetlife as well as the motorshows.

Please bring along your camera. Nobody will rob you of your camera but be aware of your surroundings. You can still get pickpocketed in crowded places like Chatuchak so try to be streetsmart. Be friendly to the locals and don't act arrogant. Anyway, this advise is relevant to ANY location in the world, not just Bangkok.

More likely you will encounter a taxi driver who won't turn on this meter than a pickpocket!

no problem for bangkok, actually, unless you are really really idiotic and then go alone to dark alleys, etc

as long as you are streetsmart and have people you know around.. a dslr is never a problem, only a boon

thanks but i think i will do without the travel insurance.
thank you for replying ^^

Actually, travel insurance is good to have - not for your camera but for yourself.

And I don't see the harm in bring ur camera along.

That said, like everywhere else and in S'pore, exercise common sense and keep a close eye on your belongings.

Have a great trip.:cool:

My suggestion to you will be to go in a group.
No doubt thailand is a beautiful place,bangkok is one city which is crime infested.

The lucky ones will tell you they had no problem but be assure that they are indeed the "LUCKY" ones.

I bring my LeicaR8 and Canon 1DsMII to Bkk, nothing happen to me. I went during CNY and BKK Chinatown and northeast province. I have travelled Thailand for the past 30 years. You enjoy the country.

My suggestion to you will be to go in a group.
No doubt thailand is a beautiful place,bangkok is one city which is crime infested.

The lucky ones will tell you they had no problem but be assure that they are indeed the "LUCKY" ones.

Really? You might want to re-corroborate with this statement below?

Before I visited Bangkok in 2001 I thought it would be a seedy crime-ridden city with pickpockets everywhere. But after having visited there I find that it is quite safe and the people friendly. I have brought my SLR many times there to take pictures of the city, temples and streetlife as well as the motorshows.

Please bring along your camera. Nobody will rob you of your camera but be aware of your surroundings. You can still get pickpocketed in crowded places like Chatuchak so try to be streetsmart. Be friendly to the locals and don't act arrogant. Anyway, this advise is relevant to ANY location in the world, not just Bangkok.

More likely you will encounter a taxi driver who won't turn on this meter than a pickpocket!

Really? You might want to re-corroborate with this statement below?

He did say be aware of the enviroment.
And that is in conjunction to what i was trying to put across.

of course,i still vote for group shots for places like bangkok.

I don't know where u can obtain the stastic but i saw it in an article that bangkok has one of the highest incident of robbery and petty crimes targeted towards foreigners.

Status
Not open for further replies.