Advises on Film scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Mar 6, 2004
hi guys,

I`m actually looking for a film scanner that does 35 mm and 120 mm scans which also allows me to do decent graphic scan jobs but i do not know which one is good. Can any of you give me some models that are relatively good and not too expensive with a rough cost ?

Thankyou so much.

Jon

thanks bro! will check it out!

hi there.. thanks, how much are the ones that you stated on a rough gauge? cos i`m not really looking to investing a high end one at this point yet...

hi there.. thanks, how much are the ones that you stated on a rough gauge? cos i`m not really looking to investing a high end one at this point yet...

The CanoScan I mentioned I think is about $350. The EPSON is about $400+.

I have been using Epson scanners for a few years and NOW I am using Microtek ScanMaker model i800, 9600x4800 Dpi CCD 48-Bit Colour, Firewire & Hi-Speed Usb2. I bought this for about S$680 and have no regrets at all.

If you looking for a very good scanner it does not matter which brand ,its the software that is doing the magic on your scanning.I have been scanning photos for the past 17 years .You can buy a $50,000 scanner and if the software is of very low quality and badly design to scan negatives or slides then its a waste of money to buy the scanner.At the moment I am using at home some of the very old Epson GT-700X,1640SU,4870, New V700 ,V750M Pro(100 Volts,bought from B& H Photo Video with a step down Transformer ) Nikon 4500,LS2000, LS 1000,9000ED ,Microtek Artix 120TF ,Minolta Multi Pro Scan and Imacon Flextight 848 .All the scanners that I using are running Silverfast 6AI Studio with HDR .I am not a Professional Photographer but a pure Hobbylist that I know that Slide and Negatives (B&W) is always much,much more superior in photo viewing quality and in printing. If you do know how to profile all your equipment into one colour ,one scan and one print,then my advice is just take with a digital camera( Even a digital camera needs Profile with your Monitor and Printer too).Try to get one of the Super High End Software from Lasersoft Imaging and try out the trial before you purchase it at www.silverfast.com .Scanning is all about PCM ( Profile matching of the Printer ,scanner and monitor .All this is very time consuming and you have to be very patience.You have to practice a lot with with eyes.I have a few High End Digital cameras and Digital back ,like the Minolta 7D, Fuji S2Pro ,Sony DSC-R1 ,S3 PRO UVIF , Leica M8,Panasonics L1 ,Hasselblad H3D and Leaf Aptus 75 for my Arca P2 4 x 5 .
Even after I have spent so much money on all my Digital cameras and Digital back, its still not up to the Standard I wanted.For eg. TAKING LONG EXPOSURE at NIGHT and B&W .Thats where the film is so much ,much more superior than Digital ( Say what all they like or reviews from any Photo Bug Margazines or Professional Photogarphers as a lot claim to be,Ha!!!!!Ha!!!!)
And my last advice is try to look for a decent scanner but do spent a bit more money on a very good scanning software and also maybe a decent Adobe Photoshop CS2 ( Educational Version, You can buy it at Funan Centre at E2000 ) or Adobe PhotoElements 5 or 6 if any.
Take more Photos (Film )and Enjoy scanning.
Cheers.
KG from Bukit Timah .

If you looking for a very good scanner it does not matter which brand ,its the software that is doing the magic on your scanning.I have been scanning photos for the past 17 years .You can buy a $50,000 scanner and if the software is of very low quality and badly design to scan negatives or slides then its a waste of money to buy the scanner.At the moment I am using at home some of the very old Epson GT-700X,1640SU,4870, New V700 ,V750M Pro(100 Volts,bought from B& H Photo Video with a step down Transformer ) Nikon 4500,LS2000, LS 1000,9000ED ,Microtek Artix 120TF ,Minolta Multi Pro Scan and Imacon Flextight 848 .All the scanners that I using are running Silverfast 6AI Studio with HDR .I am not a Professional Photographer but a pure Hobbylist that I know that Slide and Negatives (B&W) is always much,much more superior in photo viewing quality and in printing. If you do know how to profile all your equipment into one colour ,one scan and one print,then my advice is just take with a digital camera( Even a digital camera needs Profile with your Monitor and Printer too).Try to get one of the Super High End Software from Lasersoft Imaging and try out the trial before you purchase it at www.silverfast.com .Scanning is all about PCM ( Profile matching of the Printer ,scanner and monitor .All this is very time consuming and you have to be very patience.You have to practice a lot with with eyes.I have a few High End Digital cameras and Digital back ,like the Minolta 7D, Fuji S2Pro ,Sony DSC-R1 ,S3 PRO UVIF , Leica M8,Panasonics L1 ,Hasselblad H3D and Leaf Aptus 75 for my Arca P2 4 x 5 .
Even after I have spent so much money on all my Digital cameras and Digital back, its still not up to the Standard I wanted.For eg. TAKING LONG EXPOSURE at NIGHT and B&W .Thats where the film is so much ,much more superior than Digital ( Say what all they like or reviews from any Photo Bug Margazines or Professional Photogarphers as a lot claim to be,Ha!!!!!Ha!!!!)
And my last advice is try to look for a decent scanner but do spent a bit more money on a very good scanning software and also maybe a decent Adobe Photoshop CS2 ( Educational Version, You can buy it at Funan Centre at E2000 ) or Adobe PhotoElements 5 or 6 if any.
Cheers.
KG from Bukit Timah .

Wah...people collect cameras ...u collect scanners as well ah? :bigeyes: :thumbsup:

I second Silverfast software. However, I am not very fond of their default Negafix presets, and I prefer to build my own. This is one thing to watch out for by those scanning film using Silverfast. Documentation likewise falls short, but they do have a forum in their website to get some answers.

Cheers.
KG from Bukit Timah .

any recommendations on where to get a good price on the v700 (without too much bargaining)? went to a shop and was quoted $890, seems a little high. thx!

Hi,look for Michael from Cathay Photo as you can get it Cash n Carry at $820 inclusive of GST.Its a Bargain as they only make 15 bucks profit only.Enjoy scanning and try all kinds of film and slide as digital is still not up to the standard of film or slides for Huge product shooting or very critical macro shot.As all those Digital equipment that I own still not to my standard , even a lot of top Amateur photographer also agreed with me from Japan ,US and UK ( Occasionally we meet up in Japan or in Europe for conference ,hey ,Be Warned ,there is a lot of poser or so call Equipment Gadgets Photographer who claim to be top Professional photographer "A good photographer do not brad about their work they only admire by those who appreciate ARTS").Ha!!!!!!!Ha!!!!!.You take care, Buddy ,Cheers.KG

Just went to cathay today and was quoted $898 after gst... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.