Advice Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think Newbies should cultivate a mentality of self-discovery...
With the internet, information is readily available.

I agree fully. It's best to learn through your own initiative than expect others to feed you the information.

I agree fully. It's best to learn through your own initiative than expect others to feed you the information.
I felt more satisfaction learning it on my own (experimentation, reading, searching through CS and the internet).
I think that asking very straightforward questions and getting straightforward answers spoils the fun of learning photography :)
It's a very immense hobby where the learning never seems to stop, and I'm enjoying it!

I was quite afraid to ask so many question as I'm afraid people might find it irritating.
But at the sametime, the things i google many of them use those technical term in which I simply don't understand and certain things I have no idea how they come about.

Aiyoo... just joking la. When I started many years ago, I was even a lot more sotong than you. Back then, there was no internet. So information trickled in slowly and we learn slowly... More painful than nowadays.

I felt more satisfaction learning it on my own (experimentation, reading, searching through CS and the internet).
I think that asking very straightforward questions and getting straightforward answers spoils the fun of learning photography :)
It's a very immense hobby where the learning never seems to stop, and I'm enjoying it!

Totally agree bro.

And passing on our knowledge to others is also equally satisfying. :thumbsup:

That is why TS, it is best to join some newbie outings. There you get to try out, and can ask the seniors some questions and immediately try them out. Awesome chance to learn quickly.

Actually it took me a long time to get where I am.

See? I registered my nick back in 2004... use compact only. 2009 still using compact. Then upgrade a bit and a bit more... finally six months ago, got my first DSLR.

By then, a lot of terms already familiar. I think you are just being flooded with too many things in too short a time lah. One good thing is, now you have a lot of technical terms so you can Google or Wiki them up. Worse is not knowing what to search for ;)

My sentiments exacatly bro..However that said, apparently most "newbies" whom i have spoken to or personally know logically assume that Clubsnap is the "Google" answer to photography related qs.. :sweat:

Although we can help them this much, ideally the learning curve should be culitvated self-intiatively..:)

Bto, tats what i m enjoying do nw (whenever i have the time to).. we call this "giving back to the community.. ;)

Totally agree bro.

That is why TS, it is best to join some newbie outings. There you get to try out, and can ask the seniors some questions and immediately try them out. Awesome chance to learn quickly.

Will try to make time to join one of the outings. Most of the time when I saw it, usually full already kinda of late :(

If i have a DSLR with a kit lens 18-55mm ("standard" 1st-timer gear), when I turn the zoom ring from 18mm to 55mm, I can see that the far object is being "pulled" closer in my viewfiner.... EUREKA! larger mm number means more 'reach'!!

Does it really matter whether it's labelled wide-angle, telephoto, teleport, etc...?

yeah, some of the newbies here rely too much on the people here to give them advice, understanding of their own equipment plainly because they are lazy to read the user manual and thinks it's useless piece of booklet Nikon/Canon gives you. But, it's good to google your question first before asking, and even search in this forum if the topic has been discussed over and over again. :bsmilie:

Couldn't agree more with you ZerocoolAstra :)

in addition, asking on CS can be a bit iffy because some people might give the wrong info.
After all, most of us here are just hobbyists, and opinions are usually subjective.

I'm worried that some newbies take the answers as the gospel truth that's all... :bsmilie:

in addition, asking on CS can be a bit iffy because some people might give the wrong info.
After all, most of us here are just hobbyists, and opinions are usually subjective.

I'm worried that some newbies take the answers as the gospel truth that's all... :bsmilie:

Thanks for all the advice. It does help in some way or another. I don't mind about opinion or anything like that. Each one of us view things differently so I understand that certain people view what I ask in certain aspect but whatever it is, I'm still in the learning process so I'm still open to opinion and guidance ;)

good to hear...

just make sure to double-check whatever advice you get on CS, including mine :bsmilie:

good luck!
Hope to meet you at some of the outings...
am planning to organize another one on wednesday 30th June.

good to hear...

just make sure to double-check whatever advice you get on CS, including mine :bsmilie:

good luck!

No problem ;) Hehe..

Any idea where it will be held at? Cause if its near I might consider joining in after work. :D

of course I have an idea since I'll be organising :)
It'll be somewhere in town (ie between City Hall/Raffles Place).
Gotta be fair to those working all around the country! :)

Agree with Zerocoolastra and Numnumball. We should try to cultivate the spirit of self-discovery. But it is not going to be easy la..

And scaring the newbies from asking, by using an 'unfriendly' tone won't work...

Agree with Zerocoolastra and Numnumball. We should try to cultivate the spirit of self-discovery. But it is not going to be easy la..

And scaring the newbies from asking, by using an 'unfriendly' tone won't work...
yeah true...
But the friendly "perhaps you can search _____" doesn't work either :bsmilie:

good to hear...

good luck!

Would love to but I'll have to pass - June is school holidays, the priority goes to the family, period... But after that I should be free - I don't have a regular work hour (but doesn't mean I'm not busy).

Keep organising! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.