Advice on transition from DSLR to m4/3

Thank you for all your help! I am now a proud owner of an Olympus E-M10 with the 12-42 kit lens.

Regarding lenses, I think 12-40 is way beyond my budget so I'd be sticking with the 12-42 for now. However, I will be in Europe for the later half of the year and will probably be doing lots of travelling. Thinking of purchasing an UWA. As of now, it'll either be the Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye or the Olympus 9-18mm. Any other recommendations?

Will probably be postponing the purchase of the Panasonic 20mm f1.7/Olympus 25mm f1.8 to get a UWA since the 12-42 got that focal length covered.

I would recommend Olympus M.Zuiko 7-14mm F2.8 (if budget is not a problem).
Then you would have 7-14mm and 14-42mm covered.
Happy reading!

http://robinwong.blogspot.sg/2015/05/olympus-mzuiko-7-14mm-f28-pro-lens.html

I would definitely love to get the 7-14 but budget is a problem here. Still a student but working during the holidays to fund my purchase. Even going with the 9-18mm is a stretch on my budget. That's why I'm considering the Samyang 7.5mm. Have seen pretty decent rectilinear images from this lens through proper composition, post-processing and a little bit of cropping.

Here's a sample from flickr (photo by user dweller88):
18131644820_a191da5f32_z.jpg

Not an appropriate recommendation as TS has indicated in all his posts in this thread that he's on a limited budget

opps sorry for the wrong recommendation. please ignore my noob comments. :D

I would definitely love to get the 7-14 but budget is a problem here. Still a student but working during the holidays to fund my purchase. Even going with the 9-18mm is a stretch on my budget. That's why I'm considering the Samyang 7.5mm. Have seen pretty decent rectilinear images from this lens through proper composition, post-processing and a little bit of cropping.

Here's a sample from flickr (photo by user dweller88):
18131644820_a191da5f32_z.jpg

Imo... 7-14 is not an easy lense to use... I have the 7-14mm on my E-system... It give extremely sharp and amazing pictures. However, it takes alot of practise and changes to the way you take pictures with the ultra wide angle. The only times i use it is when i am in really confined spaces or i am trying to be a little more fancy with my pictures.

The perspective needs getting used to and although it is still not a fish eye effect, taking faces are usually not recommended with this lense.

If you are rather new to photography, i would recommend for you to try out the 25mm F1.8 type of lense. It takes pictures close to what your eyes can "concentrate" on. And thus makes the picture pleasant to look at.

The "wow" ultra wide can be achieved by a 12mm f2. which you can get it at a much lower price.

For the record... the DOF of a m4/3 wont' be as thin as a 35mm digital or more well known as "FF"... but at 25 F1.8 it is very pleasant.

If you want more check out the Pana 42.5 F1.2....it is quite expensive. But its quite amazing.. a cheaper option is the 45mm F1.8 these are great for portaits.

If you want to travel... i would recommend you go just go with the 14-42mm pancake. Which is compact and great for outdoor and landscape. Bring along a 17mm F1.8 or a 25mm F1.8 for indoor situation where the F3.5 to 5.6 will make you wish for a better lens... if you intend to do alot of shoot with your GF/wife... bring the 45mm... (just make sure you touch up her face after the shoot before showing here... its a SHARP lens) :)

Have fun!!!