Advice on telephoto lens

tcompass10

Dec 29, 2009
South
hi there,
I am looking for a good zoom lens to invest in.
There is a whole literature out there on 18-200mm, 70-300mm (2 types !) etc.
And there are differing views on whether 3rd party lens are better than original vendor lens.

I am using a CANON EOS 500D camera now, and I already have a 18-55mm kit lens and a F1.4 50mm prime lens.

Appreciate some advice here.
Thanks !

if you already have a 18-55mm, then 70-300mm will be a better choice because there's overlap for the 18-200mm.

i have owned both 3rd party lens and original vendor lens and i would not say which is better but 3rd party lenses have proven to be quite good for their prices. borrow or rent them to try before making purchases, you will be the best person to tell the difference

hi there,
And there are differing views on whether 3rd party lens are better than original vendor lens.

I am using a CANON EOS 500D camera now, and I already have a 18-55mm kit lens and a F1.4 50mm prime lens.

Thanks !

You might wanna consider the EF-S 55-250 as the 70-300's IQ is not that good.18-200 is generally for travel purposes as its a all-in-one lens.

For 3rd party lens,some are better than the original(Canon)but some are not:)

For crop try EF-S 55-250mm.

Cheap and nice.

Lets you learn about telephoto range. If you need a longer lens beyond 250mm then there are of course alternatives....

Is there a website or forum somewhere I can check out the price listings of various lens? In this case, the 55-250mm or the 100-400mm ?

Thanks for advice.
:)

Is there a website or forum somewhere I can check out the price listings of various lens? In this case, the 55-250mm or the 100-400mm ?

Thanks for advice.

We have the Canon price list in here or you can also check the Canon website:)

Thanks for advice.

with 10 minutes, and a piece of paper, you can easily call up shop and find out the prices yourself. and this 10 minutes includes calling 3 or 4 different shops to get the best price.

TS.... we can recommend alot of telephoto lens to you.... but without stating your buget..... :think::sweat:

I recommend EF 600mm f4 IS L... just $12K ++ only :bsmilie:

There is a updated price list at CS, just refer to that and then call the shops, as simple as it is.

It all depends upon your usage. If you mostly on the telephoto range then spend good amount of money and get a good lens, like 70-200 and 70-200 2.8 (IS/Non IS), 100-400 or 400... probably with a matching TC.

If your usage is very less, like me then you can go for Sigma 70-300 DG APO. The best value for money tele lens. I did a fair bit of research before my purchase around 3 years back and I do not have any complain about Sigma 70-300.

Mind that there are two version of the lens, one APO with red band and another without APO. Only nice to have on that lens is probably IS/OS.... although I never felt handicapped without that!!

hi there,

Thanks !

Budget?

70-200mm f2.8 from Canon, if you are concern about image quality & your budget is not too low..