Advice needed on camera or lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are finding a compact better than your SLR, something must be wrong. Either, your compact is a super-compact that is so secret with amazing specs like we've never seen before (which is doubtful), or you have not realised the potential of your SLR system.

The Lumix has Leica optics. So what? I think the only reason why you're getting better results with the compact is because there is less user input needed to make a good image, as compared to a SLR system. Before you push blame to the lens or the 400D, please do yourself and the money spent on the SLR system a big favour, and find out how to get more out of the 400D. From what I see, you do not need additional gear; you need additional awareness.

hmmm,alright,any tips on using the 400d?

The age old advice holds, shoot more.

Different situations and conditions means we can't give generic mantra on what settings to use. Post your pictures for criticism (with their exif data) if you are not sure how it can be improved (technically).

The age old advice holds, shoot more.

Different situations and conditions means we can't give generic mantra on what settings to use. Post your pictures for criticism (with their exif data) if you are not sure how it can be improved (technically).

hm,sure....:D
as for the lens...any advice?

hmmm,alright,any tips on using the 400d?

Tell us your problems, and we'll give suggestions. I don't believe many people here are real teachers. We're like critics: if you ask questions, post samples and show a good spirit of learning, you'll click with the community very well.

If you could tell or show us your problems in your photos, we could help you.

So, what is the problem with your 18-55mm lens?

I think its a common approach of most new DSLR owner to have one lens "to cover all ranges", maybe they are used to the xx times zoom of the compacts. If you really want a long reach, keep the kit lens, get the 55-250 IS as an additional lens.

There is a thread on the Canon forum on the 18-200mm, search the internet for more reviews. Finally, rent the lens if you really want to convince yourself.

Tell us your problems, and we'll give suggestions. I don't believe many people here are real teachers. We're like critics: if you ask questions, post samples and show a good spirit of learning, you'll click with the community very well.

If you could tell or show us your problems in your photos, we could help you.

So, what is the problem with your 18-55mm lens?
hm,i'm not sure....but from what i see....it isnt as sharp as the one on the fz18...for some reason....

anyway,my dad hates the 400d cos of that :dunno:

hm,sure....:D
as for the lens...any advice?

What kind of advice would you be looking for? :dunno:

Go out and shoot, come back with photos, find out what's wrong. If you don't know, that's what we're here for. How are we to advise you on the camera and lens? I mean we all could advise you on how to hold your lens, turn the zoom ring and so forth, but ultimately YOU are the photographer.

I think its a common approach of most new DSLR owner to have one lens "to cover all ranges", maybe they are used to the xx times zoom of the compacts. If you really want a long reach, keep the kit lens, get the 55-250 IS as an additional lens.

There is a thread on the Canon forum on the 18-200mm, search the internet for more reviews. Finally, rent the lens if you really want to convince yourself.

hm,okies,shall take that into consideration :D
i'll try to rent a lens too....

but any specific brand that would be better? say tamron,cannon or sigma?

What kind of advice would you be looking for? :dunno:

Go out and shoot, come back with photos, find out what's wrong. If you don't know, that's what we're here for. How are we to advise you on the camera and lens? I mean we all could advise you on how to hold your lens, turn the zoom ring and so forth, but ultimately YOU are the photographer.

hm,i'll try...

i shall put up some pics once i get the chance to get out....

Last edited:
hm,i'm not sure....but from what i see....it isnt as sharp as the one on the fz18...for some reason....

anyway,my dad hates the 400d cos of that :dunno:

Do post a comparison picture, or a picture that's not good.

And I hope to not be rude, but I personally feel that although your dad has all the rights to not like your camera, he's not the photographer-- you are. So, do you hate your kit lens?

EDIT: Don't put up pics when you go out to shoot. Chances are you already have a few photos that you and or your dad doesn't like. Post those up for us to see.

Do post a comparison picture, or a picture that's not good.

And I hope to not be rude, but I personally feel that although your dad has all the rights to not like your camera, he's not the photographer-- you are. So, do you hate your kit lens?

EDIT: Don't put up pics when you go out to shoot. Chances are you already have a few photos that you and or your dad doesn't like. Post those up for us to see.
well,he was working in that line before,but it's okay i guess....

hm,i would prefer the panasonic one,but i dont really dislike it,just that at the moment,it's heavier and does shoot as good photos....

then again,maybe i havent explored its capabillities yet...:dunno:

hm,one of them is the kit lens,not sure which one though :dunno:

were u talking about this lens? EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Yen/US$) RS$549 / CP-P$360 / CP-M$410 / JO$360 / MS$360 / SB-S$353 / AP-S$353

Well, there a photo at the top of the respective lenses, match it if you want. The point is while lens have certain characteristics, sometimes sharpness is not all there is to it. Most important is for you to find out if it suits your purpose.

The price for the 55-250 might not be updated, but its thereabouts. Certainly beats spending $1k+ for the 18-200mm if you ask me.

Well, there a photo at the top of the respective lenses, match it if you want. The point is while lens have certain characteristics, sometimes sharpness is not all there is to it. Most important is for you to find out if it suits your purpose.

The price for the 55-250 might not be updated, but its thereabouts. Certainly beats spending $1k+ for the 18-200mm if you ask me.
hm,yup.....

i think the fz18 can do close up shots:D

hmmmm,i think it should suit my purpose,i shall go down to one of those shops to test it,thanks!:D

i think the fz18 can do close up shots:D

What is this supposed to mean?

It really does seem like you're basically using your 400D as a point and shoot. We'd like to see your pictures, however bad they might be.

What is this supposed to mean?

It really does seem like you're basically using your 400D as a point and shoot. We'd like to see your pictures, however bad they might be.

hmmmm,possibly,after all,i'm pretty new to slr......:dunno:

anyway,thanks guys for the advice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.