Advice needed: LX3 or other cameras

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy a second-hand Panasonic LX3 for my overseas school trip that's coming in September.

Question is, I'm on a budget of only $300 ~ 400 (I'm saving...) So... is there any other cameras out there at this range (retail or second-hand) that would be comparable to the LX3?

Thank you so much!

Depending on what you are getting the camera for, you can even get ixus for <$200

Well, to be honest, you can probably say that I'm going for a cheap "prosumer" (if the LX3 is even counted as a prosumer).

So I'm looking for alternatives that are comparable to the LX3 that are around that price before I make my decision to get it.
Would a IXUS be better than the LX3?

I would be in need of good video quality (I like to make video logs and stuff.)

Would the LX3 be good in taking close-up shops of products (i'm a product design student)? Just would like to hear some opinions of the LX3 before I actually buy one ;)

Thanks so much.

How about a used s95 or g11?

Well, to be honest, you can probably say that I'm going for a cheap "prosumer" (if the LX3 is even counted as a prosumer).

So I'm looking for alternatives that are comparable to the LX3 that are around that price before I make my decision to get it.
Would a IXUS be better than the LX3?

I would be in need of good video quality (I like to make video logs and stuff.)

Would the LX3 be good in taking close-up shops of products (i'm a product design student)? Just would like to hear some opinions of the LX3 before I actually buy one ;)

Thanks so much.

I've never done product shots before (other than some for the heck of it), but how close will your closeup be? If the closeup you are referring to is close to Macro shots (e.g. showing the surface texture of a cloth), it can be quite challenging on P&S. *I gave up on my Canon A650, it claims 1cm macro -.- can't even get it to focus at 5cm, So I'm abit skeptical about doing closeup with P&S*

Also, Under what kind of conditions will you be shooting it?
1) In a softbox where everything is brightly lit (like this)
2) or a snapshot kind (like this)
3) or require background blur controls like this

IMO *I may be wrong too*, If you are going to take pictures as in (1 & 2), almost any camera will do. But for 3, I will recommend moving on to systems where dof is easier to control (i.e DSLR).

For the reviews of LX3: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

Also, comparable cameras to LX3, IMO, Canon G9/10. Check out DPreview for reviews

Last edited:
I think you should be able to get a 2nd hand LX3 for about 300-400.

comparable cameras.... hmmm probably the Canon G_ series and S90/95 (S95 probably over budget though).
Quite a lot of choices.
Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm, etc...