Advice needed for placing my equip in dry cab

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzyzx

Aug 25, 2007
Hi,

I just bought a dry cabinet. may i know do i have to detach my lens/TCON from my camera before i place it into the cabinet or there is no difference?

Thanks..

Hi,

I just bought a dry cabinet. may i know do i have to detach my lens/TCON from my camera before i place it into the cabinet or there is no difference?

Thanks..

Huh? Up to you. Depending got space or not. and also if your lenses can be detachable or not, whether you have got more lens than more bodies. The dry cabinet is just a enclosed shelf with controlled humidity.

You buy a bookshelf, got any special way to put the books or not?

A good practice is to wipe the body and lenses before placing them in the cabinet. Whether you want to store the body and lens separately is up to you.

I see...

BTW wat's the optimal % to let it be? the one i bought is DB-036 which only has a knob but i dunno how much to turn.. The manual says 40-55% but wat's the % which you guys set it to?

Thanks!

You buy a bookshelf, got any special way to put the books or not?

Actually, yes. Spine facing out, books standing vertically for ease of extraction. Common sense, of course. But then I've been using bookcases almost as long as I can remember.

I've thought about whether I should have the lens and end caps on (to prevent dust from getting into lens), or whether to leave them off so that the (presumably) moist air inside will be dried up. I'll probably remove the lens just to relieve stress on the mount, and also for ease of storage. I don't own a dry cab though, I practically live in one, and while here I just keep everything in my camera bag with a large bag of silica gel and hope for the best.

I see...

BTW wat's the optimal % to let it be? the one i bought is DB-036 which only has a knob but i dunno how much to turn.. The manual says 40-55% but wat's the % which you guys set it to?

Thanks!
For optical equipment, 40%-45% should be good enough. If you are storing other materials such as paper (e.g. stamps), you might want to keep it closer to the 40% end.

Actually, yes. Spine facing out, books standing vertically for ease of extraction. Common sense, of course. But then I've been using bookcases almost as long as I can remember.

I've thought about whether I should have the lens and end caps on (to prevent dust from getting into lens), or whether to leave them off so that the (presumably) moist air inside will be dried up. I'll probably remove the lens just to relieve stress on the mount, and also for ease of storage. I don't own a dry cab though, I practically live in one, and while here I just keep everything in my camera bag with a large bag of silica gel and hope for the best.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

well, you don't think about putting the books in a special way, because its common sense to you already.

Use moisturiser, else you will dry up in your dry cabinet....;p I don't even have silica gel with all my gear in my bag, and my dry cabinet is back in Singapore.

For optical equipment, 40%-45% should be good enough. If you are storing other materials such as paper (e.g. stamps), you might want to keep it closer to the 40% end.

Thanks for your advice. And sorry to ask that question. Since i tried to search the forum and return lots of result regarding the setting. My bad for my laziness...

One last question.. my Digi-Cabi brand comes with digital meter with the RH and Temp reading. the meter should be accurate right? Cos i read in one of the thread that the meter might have 5 to 8% off in reading. But i dunno want is the brand or is it digital or analogue meter.

ThanKs!

Actually I like the analog meter better. However, as long as the RH% shows around 40%-50%, you are quite safe.

There is another way to ensure the hydrometer is working. Put in a small glass of silica gel (blue one). If it turns pink, you have a problem with the RH. However, I think this is a bit extreme.

I have 4 dry cabinets totaled about 900L. Three of them use analog meters and some of them have been working for over 9 years without any problem. I have a big collection of mint stamps so that's why the need for so many dry cabinets.

hmmm do u absoluty need a dyr cabi to store your camera and lens? i just put them in a cool and dry place should be ok right?

all i have is a cam and 2 lens, i bring them out all the time.

Hi,

Up to you.
I usually detach them because of space constraints

Thanks..

hmmm do u absoluty need a dyr cabi to store your camera and lens? i just put them in a cool and dry place should be ok right?

all i have is a cam and 2 lens, i bring them out all the time.

Highly recommended

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.