Advice needed for Night Shot of Citylights and People

Status
Not open for further replies.
No really sure why you want to do such a shot but...

It might be possible to do it with full manual controls over the camera and an external flash and lots of trial and error.

you set the input the same settings under manual mode and then use an external flash and manually control the power.

After the flash goes off, you get out of the picture immediately and wait for the exposure to end. then you check if the foreground and you are horribly underexposed or overexposed and then compensate the settings on the flash accordingly.

IMHO, I think this will not create the effect TS wants. By doing this, I think he will appear "translucent".. much like ghost effect. I think multiple exposure will not work here as well.

Ok i produced this picture after i saw a couple of guys doing somewhat similar thing.
Nikon D70s, ISO:200, Rear Flash (in-built flash), f/8.0, Exposure time:13 seconds.

My question is how can i get sharpness and prevent any blurriness on the person (i.e. me in the picture). I have tried not moving for 13 seconds but it cant be helped!

I will also need to maintain at f/8.0 to get clear picture of the background.

Help will be appreciated

Try this, use the same exposure setting that you used to take this shot but this time stand out of the way... count to 12 secs and quickly move in to the frame, your movement in to the frame will not be seen assuming that the lighting on you when moving is minimal... the rear sync flash will capture your image at the end of the exposure....

Try this, use the same exposure setting that you used to take this shot but this time stand out of the way... count to 12 secs and quickly move in to the frame, your movement in to the frame will not be seen assuming that the lighting on you when moving is minimal... the rear sync flash will capture your image at the end of the exposure....
nice try,

but the lights behind you will shine thru you body.

nice try,

but the lights behind you will shine thru you body.

Well the other way is choose a spot that is not very well illuminated and stand there for 13 seconds.... the flash would be able to freeze you hopefully....

i think the best way to do this is by using the HDR method. take one pic of just the background and then one pic of you and an underexposed background then combine the two

Well the other way is choose a spot that is not very well illuminated and stand there for 13 seconds.... the flash would be able to freeze you hopefully....

it is not the light from the front, I'm talking the light behind him. refer to the photo again.

485823029_78d60a245a_o.jpg

Ok i produced this picture after i saw a couple of guys doing somewhat similar thing.
Nikon D70s, ISO:200, Rear Flash (in-built flash), f/8.0, Exposure time:13 seconds.

My question is how can i get sharpness and prevent any blurriness on the person (i.e. me in the picture). I have tried not moving for 13 seconds but it cant be helped!

I will also need to maintain at f/8.0 to get clear picture of the background.

Help will be appreciated

anyway, without go thru photoshop, it can be done, all he need to do is totally hold still for 13 seconds.

it is not the light from the front, I'm talking the light behind him. refer to the photo again.

yes i know... it is also obvious from the foto that the place he was standing was quite well lite causing the yellowish aura around him....

anyway, without go thru photoshop, it can be done, all he need to do is totally hold still for 13 seconds.

zj200's 2nd suggestion might work. By standing in a very poorly lit area, camera will be less sensitive to his movement. And with him physically standing there, background light will not reach the sensor. Dun think it will be perfect (may have darker shadow around him), but he will surely appear sharper.

still don't get it??

what he want is the background night scene with lights,
if expose half way than the person jump in the scene,
where the place he stand has already expose with background citylights
so he become a half transparent ghost liao.

if background no light, than why so troublesome to ask the person jump in and out.
just pop a flash shot will do.

still don't get it??

what he want is the background night scene with lights,
if expose half way than the person jump in the scene,
where the place he stand has already expose with background citylights
so he become a half transparent ghost liao.

if background no light, than why so troublesome to ask the person jump in and out.
just pop a flash shot will do.

i think you should read my reply again....

yes i know... it is also obvious from the foto that the place he was standing was quite well lite causing the yellowish aura around him....
that is caused by him of moving during the exposure, the flash also obviously underexpose.

wrong white balance too.

very interesting thread on topic i have been pondering recently.
in fact i was abt to try out 1/2 sec, iso 400, f4, redeye flash.
duno whether the effect is ok.

i think you should read my reply again....

I see, miss out this part...

Ok, perhaps you know which part of Merlion Park is not so bright, I long time never been there, not very sure also.

anyway, want to try this type of shots..

best time is around 7.15pm, just right after sunset, the street lights has lighted up, and the sky is still in very nice blue, this is the time that we call "magic hour", the best time for city scape night scene.

set up tripod, use flash, pose the person, depend on the ambient light, the shutter speed is around one or two second, very easy to hold still.

hope this help.

anyway, want to try this type of shots..

best time is around 7.15pm, just right after sunset, the street lights has lighted up, and the sky is still in very nice blue, this is the time that we call "magic hour", the best time for city scape night scene.

set up tripod, use flash, pose the person, depend on the ambient light, the shutter speed is around one or two second, very easy to hold still.

hope this help.

your photo has nice colors, sharpness is there too..

Status
Not open for further replies.