Advice needed for Magnifying Eyepiece or Angle viewfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkling1

Oct 30, 2004
Dear Forumer

Does it help to use Magnifying eyepiece or angle viewfinder in focusing for crop DSLR ? Any good brand to recommend? Thanks

I use what my camera brand offers. Angle viewfinder doesn't really give you a lot of magnification IIRC. I use a angled viewfinder because I want the camera to stay lower. Can't really think of how it can help in magnifying a subject for crops. Can you elaborate how much of a crop you going to perform or what you trying to achieve?

I had those ep-ex15 for years. The Magnifying isn't making the viewfinder really look big. But it actually making it look smaller. So that it fits your eye. So I check on the forum & decide to take the magnifying glass. Now the Ex15 act as a extender to prevent my noise from screen.

I use what my camera brand offers. Angle viewfinder doesn't really give you a lot of magnification IIRC. I use a angled viewfinder because I want the camera to stay lower. Can't really think of how it can help in magnifying a subject for crops. Can you elaborate how much of a crop you going to perform or what you trying to achieve?

I tried to use 85mm lens on my old 20D. Really find it difficult to focus through the view finder. I am thinking to get some aid such as magnifying viewfinder to solve the problem.

My suggestion:

1) Change the focusing screen to a split-image screen. Phone OP and check stocks. They may also be able to help you install the screen.

2) Check out angle finders. They offer variable magnifications of between 1.25x/1.5x to 2.5x/2.8x. The Seagull is really clear, but tends to induce eye fatigue. The Canon Angle finder C is crystal clear and doesn't make the eye so tired. It's about 3x the price of the Seagull though.

3) Try a viewfinder magnifier. They usually magnify only the central portion at 2.3x to 2.8x. These can be gotten on ebay. I have a spare if you're interersted.

I use all three of the above as appropriate.

Generally, any magnification of 2x and above is sufficient for accurate focusing. Couple that with a split-image screen and manual focusing gets much easier, except in dark situations.

My suggestion:

1) Change the focusing screen to a split-image screen. Phone OP and check stocks. They may also be able to help you install the screen.

2) Check out angle finders. They offer variable magnifications of between 1.25x/1.5x to 2.5x/2.8x. The Seagull is really clear, but tends to induce eye fatigue. The Canon Angle finder C is crystal clear and doesn't make the eye so tired. It's about 3x the price of the Seagull though.

3) Try a viewfinder magnifier. They usually magnify only the central portion at 2.3x to 2.8x. These can be gotten on ebay. I have a spare if you're interersted.

Generally, any magnification of 2x and above is sufficient for accurate focusing. Couple that with a split-image screen and manual focusing gets much easier, except in dark situations.

Thanks for your brief review. I think I will go for Canon Angle Finder C. Do you spare to sell me?

Thanks for your brief review. I think I will go for Canon Angle Finder C. Do you spare to sell me?

I'm sorry bk, I only have one spare VF magnifier available (2.3x).

There were a few ads on a Finder C in the classifieds here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560748&highlight=WTS+Canon+Angle+Finder+C

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521939&highlight=WTS+Canon+Angle+Finder+C

Brand new, it's about $300.

Hope this helps.

Which viewfinder did you buy from ebay. Kindly recommend. i can only find those with 1.3x magnification and not the 2.3 or 2.8x you mentioned.

An angle finder is probably not the best solution for your problem. I'm not sure why you arrived at the conclusion to get one. Your best bet is still the split-image screen, as these have been in use by SLR users from the manual focus days.

An angle finder is probably not the best solution for your problem. I'm not sure why you arrived at the conclusion to get one. Your best bet is still the split-image screen, as these have been in use by SLR users from the manual focus days.

Sorry to ask you a simple question. What does the split image sceen do?

Status
Not open for further replies.